• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad odor from NDSU Administration

So noted and will comply.

Comment

Someone's going to have to print directions on how to follow the NDSU media-guidelines (now rescinded) scuffle. I picked up the following which was represented as an enmail NDSU's President sent to NDSU staff in the past day:

There has been considerable media attention recently over an NDSU athletics situation and my handling of it. This incident has reminded me of a few things. The first is that words matter. The second is that context often matters even more. Along those lines, in order to provide the full story of the athletics situation and my handling of it, I am providing this summary:

1)Earlier this year, the Athletics Department initiated the process for bidding on media coverage for many of their events (as they do every few years). Requests for Proposals were issued for football television broadcasting, basketball television broadcasting and combined radio broadcasting. KVLY-TV won the football contract, Midco Sports Network won the basketball contract, and Radio FM Media won the radio contract.
      2)As part of the implementation of these contracts, the Athletics Department developed a new set of media guidelines. While I was certainly aware of the bidding/award process, I was not consulted on the media guidelines. There are arguments on both sides regarding whether I should or shouldn’t have been consulted. The bottom line is that it didn’t take place, and I believe that I should have been consulted.
      3)The media guidelines were made public about a week ago. I was unaware of their existence, so I didn’t know they would be made public. At that time, I was out of state at the funeral of one of my mentors, but the explosive reaction on social media regarding the new guidelines quickly made me aware them.
      4)As soon as possible, I sought information on the matter. Initially, it was my understanding that: (a) the guidelines had been part of the bid process so that all the local media companies understood that these were going to be implemented; and (b) the new guidelines were fairly common across the country.
      5)In light of the above, and reflecting my loyalty to NDSU faculty, staff and students, I briefed the Chancellor and SBHE of the situation through an email and offered my support to both the athletics staff and the guidelines. I now understand that my initial support was misplaced and some of my text communications were not appropriate.
      6)Over the next two days, I learned that my understanding of the proposed guidelines was not accurate, and I asked that the guidelines be rescinded. The decision to rescind was reached through extended conversations, collaborative discussion, and additional consideration of the factors that hadn’t been brought to light before the new guidelines were announced.
      7)The decision to rescind the guidelines was generally well received and the matter seemed brought to closure. While this incident has been tumultuous, I believe that an appropriate resolution has been achieved, and I stand by that resolution.
      I look forward to the upcoming academic year and welcoming everyone back to campus.

Dean Bresciani

Dean L. Bresciani, President
      NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY
      Member of the 11 Campus North Dakota University System

Comment

Below is a link to another opinion piece (blog) by Mike McFeely calling for Pres. Bresciani's resignation -- this is from 8/8/16.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4090346-...-unnecessarily

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Below is a link to another opinion piece (blog) by Mike McFeely calling for Pres. Bresciani's resignation -- this is from 8/8/16.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4090346-...-unnecessarily
          I was listening to Joel Heitkamp on KFGO, and he was suggesting former governor Ed Schafer as a replacement to Bresciani as president of NDSU. Ed is a mild mannered guy and he served as an interim at UND. Although he has his degrees form UND, I think he could put the pieces back together again, and given his age, he would probably be more of an interim at NDSU as well.
          McFeeley is originally from Alexandria Minnesota and has his degree from MSU-Moorhead and has been kind of Stu Whitney to NDSU but it might not be a fair analogy. McFeeley is quick to jump on NDSU every chance he gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I was listening to Joel Heitkamp on KFGO, and he was suggesting former governor Ed Schafer as a replacement to Bresciani as president of NDSU. Ed is a mild mannered guy and he served as an interim at UND. Although he has his degrees form UND, I think he could put the pieces back together again, and given his age, he would probably be more of an interim at NDSU as well.
            McFeeley is originally from Alexandria Minnesota and has his degree from MSU-Moorhead and has been kind of Stu Whitney to NDSU but it might not be a fair analogy. McFeeley is quick to jump on NDSU every chance he gets.
            The attached blog from Joel Heitkamp http://kfgo.com/blogs/news-views-wit...1/hypocrisy-1/ indicates that the bid proposal from Forum Communications included many of the same restrictions and in some cases demanded more exclusive access and thier fiscal proposal was contingent upon the Bison winning 8 games during the regular season.
            USD Fan

Comment

Man... NDSU's eye just keeps getting more and more black. Check out this article from deadspin showing emails and texts from Bresciani himself.

http://deadspin.com/internal-email-t...-ba-1785150193

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                The purpose of the "no politics" policy is to discourage needless divisive political discussions (in particular, electoral politics) between Jackrabbit fans. I think it should be apparent to pretty much everyone that politics is a subject where there are very strong, very different attitudes, and those attitudes are often not well expressed or well understood by others on line. If you want to talk politics, especially electoral politics, there are millions of other Internet sites on which you can do so. That is not the purpose or intent of this board. We're all supposed to be Jackrabbit fans together (for the most part, not to leave out our esteemed opponents' fans from the considerations).

It's an election year, in case people haven't noticed. Things get especially insane in an election year. Let's all try not to be insane in that particular way here. Please?

Now, if somebody insists on bringing politics onto the board and just won't stop, the moderators may, at their discretion, decide that they intend to be divisive and disruptive, and based on that decision have the authority to ban them temporarily or permanently for being disruptive.

I would very much prefer if people did not so insist. So, if a moderator should call somebody on it, I'd suggest that wisdom would lead the transgressor to show at least some small degree of remorse and apology for the transgression.

I hope that sounds somewhat reasonable to everyone.
                THANK YOU! I get exposed to politics and all the 7th-grade BS that comes with it all the time. It's nice to come to a place where we can discuss SDSU Sports without "Pol-idiots" trying to hijack the conversation about whose candidate is better.

And for those of you who are butt-hurt that there are no political discussions on here, let me offer a bit of advice. If you don't like it, quit the d@mn board and start your own!
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  THANK YOU! I get exposed to politics and all the 7th-grade BS that comes with it all the time. It's nice to come to a place where we can discuss SDSU Sports without "Pol-idiots" trying to hijack the conversation about whose candidate is better.

And for those of you who are butt-hurt that there are no political discussions on here, let me offer a bit of advice. If you don't like it, quit the d@mn board and start your own!
                  That or go post about it on a board that allows it. If you have a burning desire to talk politics with other FCS fans go to AGS. No need to have people try to interject it into good football discussions.
                  Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

The ONLY politics that should be discussed on here are the politics of the NCAA putting all but one of the MVFC playoff teams on one side of the playoff bracket.

Hope I don't get dinged for this comment, too.
                    Last edited by jackrabit1; 08-12-2016, 12:28 PM. Reason: Avoiding the wrath of grammar nazis.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                    X