Coach Nielsen seeking multi year contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Nielsen seeking multi year contract

I hope Jim Morgan has the sense to vote no, or will he conclude this the coming trend. More the later than the former. Just saying or more like just guessing. This might be a time to work with the enemy(USD) and get some comprehensive change that will benefit both schools. Heaven help us if we stumble and hire another Ed Meierkort type guy who we fire in year 1 of a 5 year contract. Any one got some slush cash laying around? I am just a rambling rose today.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      From the article it sounds like this is only for Nielsen's request:

"But Nielson is seeking a long-term commitment, and current policy only allows one-year contracts for employees. On Friday, the board will consider approving a one-time suspension of its policy, the board’s executive director Michael Rush said. Only after that, — and the regents’ approval of Nielson’s contract — will the length of it be known."
      I would think that most coaches in SD would prefer and seek a long-term commitment once they know its a possibility.

Comment

This has shady written all over it.

If we are going to change a policy on the fly, it sure as hell shouldn't be a one time exception for one coach.

This is the cart before the horse big time. "We are hiring this guy, but we can't get a contract done. BOR! Help us out like you always do!"
        Last edited by KUlawJack; 01-28-2016, 09:37 AM.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
          SF_Rabbit, I think you are overrating a little bit...or a lot.
          I disagree completely. It's an underhanded way for them to try to skirt long-standing rules established by the State.

It's one thing for my 4 year-old to reach his hand into the cookie jar and then ask for permission to eat one after the fact. It's quite another for a paid official from a state university to do something like this.

Comment

This is a time where none of us know the details of what is actually happening behind the scenes on this. SF_Rabbit_Fan you are throwing a lot of unknowns out there as if they are fact. Where is your source that Neilson was offered a multi year contract behind the BOR backs without any of their knowledge essentially giving the BOR the middle finger? What policy is Herbster breaking that he should resign immediately?

Comment

USD must have some dirty info on the state gov and the BOR to always get their way. It would only make sense if they allowed it to happen for all coaches and state employees. I am not sure that the BOR is aware of the slippery slope that they are looking to go down.

SFRF sort of sounds like Walter Sobchaks "Has the whole world gone crazy, am I the only one around here who gives a bleep about the rules anymore, mark it 0" rant.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                USD must have some dirty info on the state gov and the BOR to always get their way. It would only make sense if they allowed it to happen for all coaches and state employees. I am not sure that the BOR is aware of the slippery slope that they are looking to go down.

SFRF sort of sounds like Walter Sobchaks "Has the whole world gone crazy, am I the only one around here who gives a bleep about the rules anymore, mark it 0" rant.
                Well, they are setting a precedent by suspending the policy this once. There is no going back now unless they want a **** storm when we have to replace a coach in the future. That's why they are going to review the policy I'm guessing so they can cover their ass on the backside of this. I suspect the policy will be changing.

Comment

1. The policy of only 1 year contracts for HC's is asinine.
                  2. If USD offered a multi year contract, when they know they couldn't (and I'm sure they did, as most of the people on this board know), they broke the law, made an illegal agreement, and yes, "broke the rules".
                  3. This will be approved, the coach's contract will be approved.
                  4. This will lead to the end of this stupid policy, not sure when, but soon.
                  5. I don't care if they broke the rules, if it leads to the the rule changing...as it is a dumb rule anyway, and puts our school's at a disadvantage with other states.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyotes View Post
                    This is a time where none of us know the details of what is actually happening behind the scenes on this. SF_Rabbit_Fan you are throwing a lot of unknowns out there as if they are fact. Where is your source that Neilson was offered a multi year contract behind the BOR backs without any of their knowledge essentially giving the BOR the middle finger? What policy is Herbster breaking that he should resign immediately?
                    So do you think this was the BOR just reaching out the Herbster and Nielsen and saying hey guys dont worry about signing that 1 year contract, we think we will suspend the rules just so you cna have a long term contract. I am guessing when converstation started in the USD camp that came to the BOR. either Nielsen or Herbtser started it, thats my guess why he hasnt signed a 1 year contract.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                      Well, they are setting a precedent by suspending the policy this once. There is no going back now unless they want a **** storm when we have to replace a coach in the future. That's why they are going to review the policy I'm guessing so they can cover their ass on the backside of this. I suspect the policy will be changing.
                      Wouldnt sell and SDSU be able to say well our coaches need to sign a new contract and they will only sign a multi year deal.....Next question is when do coaches contracts start and end? is it like a budget where its like july 1st every year or depends on their date of hire or vary depending on the coach?

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                        5. I don't care if they broke the rules, if it leads to the the rule changing...as it is a dumb rule anyway, and puts our school's at a disadvantage with other states.
                        I'm sorry that is not how you change rules/laws, by breaking them.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          This has shady written all over it.

If we are going to change a policy on the fly, it sure as hell shouldn't be a one time exception for one coach.

This is the cart before the horse big time. "We are hiring this guy, but we can't get a contract done. BOR! Help us out like you always do!"

Thank you state fans like JacksFTW for being reasonable and providing fair analysis of situations. Comments like the one above and from SF_Rabbit_Fan are why very little can be completed between the two schools. It reminds me of the outrageous comments from extreme state fans about USD students voting to increase fees for their athletics program and how embarrassing that was yet SDSU did the same thing for their wellness center. Extreme fans on both sides need to come back to the middle and be more reasonable.

If offering more than a one year contract is not a factor in getting good coaches at the D1 level than why do you care if USD is working to change that. We in no way are gaining an advantage over you right? Research into it further and you will find no "BOR Rules" were broken and the BOR has been fully aware of what USD is trying to do since the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            1. The policy of only 1 year contracts for HC's is asinine.
                            2. If USD offered a multi year contract, when they know they couldn't (and I'm sure they did, as most of the people on this board know), they broke the law, made an illegal agreement, and yes, "broke the rules".
                            3. This will be approved, the coach's contract will be approved.
                            4. This will lead to the end of this stupid policy, not sure when, but soon.
                            What coaches have we not kept because of the 1 year contract and what ones did we miss out on because of it?

Comment

Thank you state fans like JacksFTW for being reasonable and providing fair analysis of situations. Comments like the one above and from SF_Rabbit_Fan are why very little can be completed between the two schools. It reminds me of the outrageous comments from extreme state fans about USD students voting to increase fees for their athletics program and how embarrassing that was yet SDSU did the same thing for their wellness center. Extreme fans on both sides need to come back to the middle and be more reasonable.

If offering more than a one year contract is not a factor in getting good coaches at the D1 level than why do you care if USD is working to change that. We in no way are gaining an advantage over you right? Research into it further and you will find no "BOR Rules" were broken and the BOR has been fully aware of what USD is trying to do since the beginning.
                              I would like to read where the BOR has been discussing this or its been on the agenda. I think it would be an interesting read. Could you show where the BOR has been fully aware of it?

Comment

How is my comment a reason why things can't get done between the schools? Wring your hands all you want, it has nothing to do with being "reasonable." You have no idea what I know and don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X