Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
    what may be more interesting, is when we start hearing stories about how some of these student-athletes spend their extra funds!!!
    No kidding.* I'm sure there were cases crying out for such an adjustment. How many times did we read about a coach getting into hot water because he gave a kid an airplane ticket to visit an ailing parent or bought the kid some needed shoes? In the law, we say "bad facts make the law". Maybe that's a corollary of the rule of unintended consequences. There's going to be some athlete somewhere who will do something really stupid because for that particular athlete, all costs are well covered and the money is just a big invitation to party. [But, what the heck, didn't we all know students who had extra money in their pockets and partied hard -- but were not involved in athletics?]

I recall that at least some of the discussion that led up to the COA rule change by the NCAA, involved people taking the position that college athletes have what amounts to a job which brings a great deal of attention and money (whether the program is financial solvent is another question) to an institution. So, the theory goes, they should be paid for it. The NCAA doesn't want to talk about paying athletes but it recognized permitting a school to provide compensation which would cover the entire cost of the athletes education expense.

Personally, I'm generally not opposed to the COA. I'm sure it's going to be a financial headache for many schools and will probably result in some sports being dropped. I hope that doesn't happen but I think it will. (Think of UNO dropping football and a nationally-prominent wrestling program so that it could make the jump to D1 and continue to fund hockey.) There will be news stories in the future about idiots doing stupid things that may were possible because of the COA money. A lot of alumni "voting" will be taking place in the form of donations made or withheld.

I think SDSU has to do what NDSU is doing. I'm feel sure the SDSU administration has been talking about this for some time. The facilities upgrades have to have athletes in them.

*PS: I remember well some poker games on third floor Binnewies in which guys were betting relatively large sums, all funded by some ROTC stipend they received.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
      what may be more interesting, is when we start hearing stories about how some of these student-athletes spend their extra funds!!!
      Hookers and blow?......I mean tutors and red bulls……..
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Not sure if/how it relates to this conversation, but I thought the core purpose of the NCAA in relation to this discussion is interesting.

It used to be:

Our purpose is to govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.

From what I can tell, they no longer have a core purpose statement.

IMO, the NCAA as an institution is incredibly flawed and it is only a matter of time until it ceases to exist.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I just don't think we have many options. I am not too surprised by the resentment towards Student Athletes. That has been out there for a long time. What we non SA seem to forget is that they represent us on the field of competition. Some may say Who cares? And this representation has no bearing on the quality of education that the non-SA receives. They may have a good point. I beginning to wonder if the SA might be pricing themselves out of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            Not sure if/how it relates to this conversation, but I thought the core purpose of the NCAA in relation to this discussion is interesting.

It used to be:

Our purpose is to govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.

From what I can tell, they no longer have a core purpose statement.

IMO, the NCAA as an institution is incredibly flawed and it is only a matter of time until it ceases to exist.
            Good points! I fear there is an ego race going on among the presidents running the NCAA. I don't think MVCF and Summit presidents are in this race yet, but they may be itching to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I just don't think we have many options. I am not too surprised by the resentment towards Student Athletes. That has been out there for a long time. What we non SA seem to forget is that they represent us on the field of competition. Some may say Who cares? And this representation has no bearing on the quality of education that the non-SA receives. They may have a good point. I beginning to wonder if the SA might be pricing themselves out of the market.
              I am more worried about losing interest by the general public when it becomes more apparent about the hired gun mentality. Just look at all the semi-pro teams of all sports in the US. They may come close to filling stands, but two states away, no one knows they exist.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                I am more worried about losing interest by the general public when it becomes more apparent about the hired gun mentality. Just look at all the semi-pro teams of all sports in the US. They may come close to filling stands, but two states away, no one knows they exist.
                I just can't see that being the same. College teams have history and tradition that spans many generations. People are tied to their schools. Semipro teams generally have not been around for a really long period of time. I would think semipro teams would be something fun to do if it isn't too far to go, but I don't think they can produce the loyalty a college team gets.

I am concerned about ticket prices, though. Tickets have continued to get more expensive...and this development will probably make them go up in time as well...which could price people out...time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                  I just can't see that being the same. College teams have history and tradition that spans many generations. People are tied to their schools. Semipro teams generally have not been around for a really long period of time. I would think semipro teams would be something fun to do if it isn't too far to go, but I don't think they can produce the loyalty a college team gets.

I am concerned about ticket prices, though. Tickets have continued to get more expensive...and this development will probably make them go up in time as well...which could price people out...time will tell.
                  Well the Flint Tropics had stellar attendance at some of their games. They came from miles around to see the MegaBowl.

While we are on the topic of student athletes, for the love of God, will someone correct the spelling of this thread's title!!!

Comment

Mick Garry contibuted one for this topic.
                    http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...etes/71290788/
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The earlier post should also be noted that Zimmer was the main author.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Having $3,400 extra bucks will mean a great deal to families that are already struggling. The solution off the cuff is to offer $5000. Make those Bison up their ante.

Comment

Sorry if this has been covered, but how can cost of attendance vary from school to school? I can see this being used very quickly as a general student recruiting tool by admissions offices...

"Well Johnny, everybody knows that although NDSU and SDSU have similar tuitions, the real cost of attending SDSU is almost $2500 more every year. By the time you graduate, you'll have saved nearly $10,000 by choosing to come to NDSU."

Am I completely misunderstanding?

Edit: if this is the case, university presidents won't allow this for long. this could be the beginning of the education bubble burst.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

No not misunderstanding. I have similar questions.
                            As KU's signature reads "All I know is what what I read on the message board....." seem to fit this COA issue. What are the limits any given institution can offer? If no limits, could become very messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              No not misunderstanding. I have similar questions.
                              As KU's signature reads "All I know is what what I read on the message board....." seem to fit this COA issue. What are the limits any given institution can offer? If no limits, could become very messy.
                              Or even if there are limits, certain schools with deep pockets will mess with the equation upping their COA. If North Carolina can manipulate an entire department to ensure athletic eligibility, they sure as heel won't have a problem manipulating COA.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                Sorry if this has been covered, but how can cost of attendance vary from school to school? I can see this being used very quickly as a general student recruiting tool by admissions offices...

"Well Johnny, everybody knows that although NDSU and SDSU have similar tuitions, the real cost of attending SDSU is almost $2500 more every year. By the time you graduate, you'll have saved nearly $10,000 by choosing to come to NDSU."

Am I completely misunderstanding?

Edit: if this is the case, university presidents won't allow this for long. this could be the beginning of the education bubble burst.
                                From what i understand, every school is suppose to provide an amount that a prospective student would need above the basics, tuition, room and board, books etc... Schools calculate that number differently, apparently. That is the full cost of attendance.

Several months ago i tried to find out what SDSU's amount they would have to provide. The best i could come up with was well north of $6k.

As far as schools raising these numbers , i'm guessing you would be locked in to what your FCOA now. Not sure

Comment

Working...
                                X