Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    I'm not sure what is confusing about it...but will explain it differently. The NCAA has authorized the payment of a Cost of Attendance amount (there are rules about it), but if a school decides to do that, the same amount must be given to all scholarship athletes in all sponsored sports. You can't just say "We want to just do basketball" or "We want to just do (any other sport or sports). As you will note in the Bison announcement, the total dollars required are for the $3,400 COA per scholarship athlete or a $1,700 COA for students on 1/2 scholarship (or proper percentage). That is my understanding of the NCAA's decision to "pay" more to student athletes (up to the actual Cost of Attendance for that school over and above the scholarship amount of tuition, fees, books, etc).
    There's where the confusion/disagreement is. SDSU can offer FCOA in just BB or football if they choose as long as Title IX is met. A couple of examples : UND is offering COA in just hockey (M&W). UNI is offering just Men and Womens BB and Volleyball. The added confusion was the way you worded your previous post i thought you were saying that SDSU had a policy that it had to be offered in all sports or none.

Comment

All of a sudden my head is swimming. Interesting reading but have nothing to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
        maybe im missing your point in it, but you do not have to give to all sports.

you can give to FB only as long as you give an equivalent amount to women's sports. it is not an all or nothing, UND is doing it for Hockey, UNI will do basketball...etc..
        Well then I hope we can get this done for basketball ASAP. That seems reasonable in the short term.

Comment

Matt Zimmer tweeted that SDSU WBB coach Aaron Johnston, when asked if cost of attendance was inevitable at SDSU, he answered " I would think so, yes."
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 12h12 hours ago SDSU WBB coach Aaron Johnston, when asked if cost of attendance is an inevitability at SDSU: "I would think so, yes."
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

All of a sudden more pressure to donate more and higher ticket prices. Fasten your seat belts, we are in for a ride.

Comment

I withdraw my comments...that was not the way I understood it. Would agree that Title IX would come into play. Seems weird to me that you can do it by sport. What does that say to the athletes in other sports who are not included when a University singles out athletes in certain sports to receive more money. Obviously, the major expense surrounds football, where 63 athletes would receive extra dollars for COA.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  Well then I hope we can get this done for basketball ASAP. That seems reasonable in the short term.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if we add cost-of-attendance in phases, with Men's/Women's Basketball likely the easiest to implement ASAP. The administration, since turning DI, has been about steady growth of the athletic department, and scholarships/funding have gradually improved over the course of the last decade.

Our athletic administration has proven to be highly competent over the years, and I doubt they were all that surprised by NDSU's announcement. They probably have been preparing for this since the NCAA approved cost-of-attendance.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

I withdraw my comments...that was not the way I understood it. Would agree that Title IX would come into play. Seems weird to me that you can do it by sport. What does that say to the athletes in other sports who are not included when a University singles out athletes in certain sports to receive more money. Obviously, the major expense surrounds football, where 63 athletes would receive extra dollars for COA.
                    That's one reason I am a little concerned with it.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That's already happening is it not? Doesn't wrestling, baseball, softball, etc. have a smaller ratio of number of scholarships available already? The maximum number of scholarships for baseball is 11.7, golf is 4.5 for men and 6 for women, wrestling is 9.9. They are already getting a smaller chunk of a scholarship.

NCAA scholarship limits http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

Comment

I've been a little concerned over this potential bump in expenses and would still like to learn more about it. There has to be limits and how do they come up with the arbitrary dollar amounts. That being said, I found this interesting regarding UNI's funding of men's/women's basketball and volleyball. This was reported in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.

For now, UNI is at least remaining in the room. The Panthers will provide cost of attendance benefits for their scholarshipped student-athletes in men's basketball, volleyball and women's basketball.
                        Specifically, that means roughly $2,200 added to each in-state scholarship (currently valued at $16,938) and about $2,560 for out-of-state scholarships ($27,126 for the 2015-16 school year). The cost of attendance figure is determined by the financial aid office.

Fortunately for UNI, the NCAA is helping foot the bill with a new distribution of $18.9 million earmarked for new student-athlete benefits. Each of the nearly 350 Division schools will get an annual share of roughly $55,000, plus inflationary increases that the NCAA's other revenue distribution pools receive.

Based on this, wouldn't we be missing out on some of the revenue pool from the NCAA if we don't offer some sort of student-athlete benefits?

Comment

What is even more surprising is that further down in the story they report that we (SDSU) is going to offer some of the highest benefits.

Among the public institutions in the Missouri Valley Conference, for example, Missouri State's cost of attendance figure of around $4,000 is one of the highest. One exception among other Midwestern universities against which UNI competes is South Dakota State, which will reportedly provide a stipend in the $6,000 range.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            One exception among other Midwestern universities against which UNI competes is South Dakota State, which will reportedly provide a stipend in the $6,000 range.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...bPTxorIYRsk6DQ

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

Based on this, wouldn't we be missing out on some of the revenue pool from the NCAA if we don't offer some sort of student-athlete benefits?
                              No. When the NCAA announced in July it was going to distributed $18.9 to D1 schools, about $55,000 per school, it was reported each school would receive the money -- it was not tied to the school agreeing to provide COA. Here's one news article on the topic:
                              http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hips/30428777/

I wonder where the Cedar Falls / Waterloo newspaper quoted by Gopherhole got its information that SDSU's COA adjustment would be $6,000 (just doesn't sound right to me -- but, that's my opinion). It was reported yesterday that USD's COA would be $4,100 to $4,200 (tweet from Yankton P&D Sports Editor Jeremy Hoeck, attributed to USD Athletic Direct, The Herbster). I think the total cost of a year of school at an institution (the "real" cost of a year at a school) has been measured for years by a school's financial aid office for many years so the COA adjustment should be an easily determinable figure and may/will vary significantly from school to school. If I had to guess, I would guess SDSU and USD's total costs will be fairly similar and I expect the COA for SDSU and USD athletes to be greater than the COA paid at other state-supported schools because our state pays a lower percentage of the actual college costs than many other states.

Comment

what may be more interesting, is when we start hearing stories about how some of these student-athletes spend their extra funds!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X