NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison going to pay all athletes

How close is SDSU to offering the maximum number of scholarships in all sports?
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Re: Bison going to pay all athletes

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
      How close is SDSU to offering the maximum number of scholarships in all sports?
      Good question. Maybe Jack#1 knows. I suspect there some planning for this thing going on that we do not know about.

Comment

Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

I will honestly be disappointed if we don't follow suit.

Comment

Have to give NDSU credit. Their athletic programs are streamlined, have big budgets,and operate under a Title IX system that has advantages.

I listened to their Athletic Directors presser, sounds like they have some donors stepping up with half of the money needed for the first 3 years. Cost is $600K or $700K. They're starting a web site to raise the other half. No idea what happens after 3 years.

As far as SDSU, i think we will fund mens and women's BB and that's it. Time to get the checkbooks out.

Comment

It is interesting to me that the NDSU AD referred in the necessity for this move, competition with two FBS conferences for players. Let's face some facts, NDSU may eventually wind up moving to FBS, which many of their advocates have urged at times. If we want to compete with them at that level, of support, fine. But it is going to be VERY difficult for us to do that, given NDSU's location in the state's major population center, compared to Brookings. And if we think it is tough, think of a number of the Missouri Valley Football Conference schools that will find it a major problem as well. It looks to me that we need to: 1) continue moving to fully fund scholarship levels for all our sports team; and 2) move ahead on providing some level of Cost of Attendance allowances if we can raise the funds.

The fact is that the COA move comes about in the country mainly over BCS top tier conference football programs. If FCS programs are unable to fund dramatic increases in their total sports programs, the Bison may well price themselves outside of FCS. If they want to stay FCS and just keep winning national football titles, they have been able to do that without COA funding, and have little to gain. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if they want to move up.

Nevertheless, I am sure the SDSU athletic administration will do its best to figure out what we can and can't do. One fly in the ointment for us, is the question of what is going to happen with the equestrian program. It is a hugely expensive program without revenue. It was an answer for us moving to D-1 because of the Regent's directive at the time that we had to meet all three prongs of Title IX, which was dropped when USD moved up later. Right now, it is a huge question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              As far as SDSU, I think we will fund mens and women's BB and that's it. Time to get the checkbooks out.
              If COA is provided by the university, it is my understanding that it will have to apply equally for all sports, both men and women at that school.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jhoeck/status/636986402463322112

https://twitter.com/jhoeck/status/636986843817316352
                USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  If COA is provided by the university, it is my understanding that it will have to apply equally for all sports, both men and women at that school.
                  The "have to" in your post is confusing me. It's SDSU's position that it's all or nothing? If initially SDSU could raise the $ to fund the 2 bb programs,why wouldn't you?

Comment

The "have to" in your post is confusing me. It's SDSU's position that it's all or nothing? If initially SDSU could raise the $ to fund the 2 bb programs,why wouldn't you?
                    I think thats the point of it would have to be equal. That you couldnt just fund mens BB it would have to have same amount for womens sports also. Which i would guess we would do the basketball teams first and go from there.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm just throwing this out there.

Not saying it's going to happen, or is on the Horizon, or anything of the like...

But, the Big 12 is still short 2 teams.

Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        I think thats the point of it would have to be equal. That you couldnt just fund mens BB it would have to have same amount for womens sports also. Which i would guess we would do the basketball teams first and go from there.
                        Yep,i get that. I mentioned both men and women's teams in my original post.

Comment

I'm not sure what is confusing about it...but will explain it differently. The NCAA has authorized the payment of a Cost of Attendance amount (there are rules about it), but if a school decides to do that, the same amount must be given to all scholarship athletes in all sponsored sports. You can't just say "We want to just do basketball" or "We want to just do (any other sport or sports). As you will note in the Bison announcement, the total dollars required are for the $3,400 COA per scholarship athlete or a $1,700 COA for students on 1/2 scholarship (or proper percentage). That is my understanding of the NCAA's decision to "pay" more to student athletes (up to the actual Cost of Attendance for that school over and above the scholarship amount of tuition, fees, books, etc).

Comment

I have nothing to base this off of, but I feel like if we go down this route, equestrian at SDSU as an NCAA sport is over.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I'm not sure what is confusing about it...but will explain it differently. The NCAA has authorized the payment of a Cost of Attendance amount (there are rules about it), but if a school decides to do that, the same amount must be given to all scholarship athletes in all sponsored sports. You can't just say "We want to just do basketball" or "We want to just do (any other sport or sports). As you will note in the Bison announcement, the total dollars required are for the $3,400 COA per scholarship athlete or a $1,700 COA for students on 1/2 scholarship (or proper percentage). That is my understanding of the NCAA's decision to "pay" more to student athletes (up to the actual Cost of Attendance for that school over and above the scholarship amount of tuition, fees, books, etc).
                              I think you may be confused. I believe some schools like Georgetown and UNI are giving COA to certain sports.
                              Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

maybe im missing your point in it, but you do not have to give to all sports.

you can give to FB only as long as you give an equivalent amount to women's sports. it is not an all or nothing, UND is doing it for Hockey, UNI will do basketball...etc..
                                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                                X