Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    I think many are focused on the wrong side of the field for the reason he is gone. I think the words that USD’s AD used that are important are "Academics" and "Desipline" or lack there of, these may hold the keys for those trying to figure out why he is gone.
    So does anyone know if the rumors about the locker room in the Alerus are true? Saw on SS.com that there is discussion around the Yotes having a field day tearing up the visiting lockers after the UND loss. If true, it would show a lack of discipline by a head coach, be an embarassment to the U which Sayler doesn't seem likely to tolerate and could have been one of the last straws in the Ed/USD adm relationship.

Comment

I talked to a few guys associated with USD. One is a current player, said he was upset but understood it is part of the business. Said Ed was a great guy, a players coach, but him and the higher ups did not see eye to eye. I think some of them thought he was somewhat of a loose cannon. Ed didn't care about appearance and liked to do the other things of being a head coach his way.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        So does anyone know if the rumors about the locker room in the Alerus are true? Saw on SS.com that there is discussion around the Yotes having a field day tearing up the visiting lockers after the UND loss. If true, it would show a lack of discipline by a head coach, be an embarassment to the U which Sayler doesn't seem likely to tolerate and could have been one of the last straws in the Ed/USD adm relationship.
        I know nothing about the facts that would support the rumor, but if they are indeed true, this may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Comment

USD offensive coordinator Wes Beschorner is the interim head coach for the Coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Agreed. What we will learn is that a coaching change is very disruptive to a program and sets things back a few years. It's going to be a tough go for USD for a couple of years.
            I think it would have been tough the next couple of years for USD regardless. They lose a lot of good players and they will be playing a much tougher schedule. I don't know about 2 money games but they won't play DII/NAIA games anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              I think it would have been tough the next couple of years for USD regardless. They lose a lot of good players and they will be playing a much tougher schedule. I don't know about 2 money games but they won't play DII/NAIA games anymore.
              I think USD did Meierkort a favor. It could be really ugly the next few years. Ed is interesting person with strong opinions. Strong opinions are important and can be very powerful if you have the tact to present them in the right situations. My impression of Ed is that he lacked some of the required tact to be a leader on and off the field. Best of luck to ED, he'll be okay.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There are some pretty ugly things being alleged that Ed has done that may or may not become public. I will just say he was not fired over wins and losses.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  There are some pretty ugly things being alleged that Ed has done that may or may not become public. I will just say he was not fired over wins and losses.
                  I happen to be witness to a few things that could be construed as ugly or better described as not appropriate for a head FB coach at USD. That's just Ed though.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think that someone should shine a little light onto the allegations of USD's conduct at the Alerus Center following the loss. If the rumors are true and the University is going to pay damages to UND - don't I, as a taxpayer (at least I have been for 43 1/2 of the last 44 years) have a right to know about that?

It would also fall in line with some conduct that Frost Arena employees have witnessed in the past.

I believe the days of covering the misdoings of some - are VERY quickly coming to an end. (See Penn State or Syracuse) You don't want to be guilty of making up accusations or throwing someone under the bus just for fun - but we need to hold our leaders/coaches to a higher standard. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                      I think that someone should shine a little light onto the allegations of USD's conduct at the Alerus Center following the loss. If the rumors are true and the University is going to pay damages to UND - don't I, as a taxpayer (at least I have been for 43 1/2 of the last 44 years) have a right to know about that?
                      Yes, you do. Are there any journalists out there? Get on it.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

We could suggest that the Argus Leader digs a little. I think they have a beat writer that covers the Coyotes.

I would imagine about the time we suggest it, Mick will get a couple of unpaid days off without pay. You know Stu would dig into it if it were Stig or Nagy. Instead, Stu serves up a softball about how much Ed has done for the University and all. He has never taken the time to do a piece on all the good that Scott has done with his "shoes cause", or John and involvement with FCA, etc.

Comment

We could suggest that the Argus Leader digs a little. I think they have a beat writer that covers the Coyotes.

I would imagine about the time we suggest it, Mick will get a couple of unpaid days off without pay. You know Stu would dig into it if it were Stig or Nagy. Instead, Stu serves up a softball about how much Ed has done for the University and all. He has never taken the time to do a piece on all the good that Scott has done with his "shoes cause", or John and involvement with FCA, etc.
                          I don't think its Stu, when it comes to that. I'm not saying Stu would go out and say investigate it, but I don't think he would stop it. I don't think he is quite the pro-USD guy people make him out to be, I just think he is anti Stig and Nagy for other reasons. The problem with these type of situations is getting someone to go on the record. Is a USD coach or player going to go on record and say yeah we destroyed the heck out of their locker room?

I think in general the investigation part of journalism when it comes to the Universities (both sports and other reasons) is lacking. But again it is hard to get someone to go on record in these cases. Add in the economics of the newspaper business can they afford to send a reporter out on an issue like this that more then likely would result in little to nothing?

If a payment is made it should be made public, but South Dakota's open records law being very confusing and hard to understand, and the fact that I'm guessing it will not be memo'd as a "payment for vandalism after the UND game" it could be very difficult to find.

I just think this is one of those where everyone knows about it but nobody can confirm it.

Comment

Maybe this is off base, but it usually isn't the beat reporter that reports on bad news, but rather someone else at the paper. The beat reporter needs to keep a good rapport with everyone in the athletic department to do their job.

A perfect example is when Stu wrote articles about Fred Oein leaving and the "controversy" that surrounded that move. The beat reporter didn't write the article because no one in the athletic department would have talked to them after.

Stu or someone else at the AL should investigate this. If true, the allegations would cause some short term pain for USD but might cause institutional changes to make it a better university.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

trust me, people are asking, NO ONE is talking. Lots of rumors flying around the newsroom and no one will confirm nor deny anything. Honestly, if anyone is going to get anything it will be the Volante because of the student relationships, and that will probably be an opinion type piece.

Comment

A couple of ideas for any journalists out there:

1. North Dakota has a very good open records law. By "good," of course, I mean "open." If you get stonewalled trying to get at this through USD, try UND.
                                2. Hook up with a reporter from The Forum or Grand Forks Herald (both owned by the same company). They would probably be interested in this story as well and you could collaborate on something here.

I don't think there is any doubt that it's a good story. Journalists generally like good stories, no matter who ends up looking stupid in the bargain.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X