Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
    Always interesting to hear what people say about things they have not actually seen or heard themselves.

Here is the "Daily Dose" article from the Yankton Press and Dakotan on Monday, November 21st.

http://yankton.net/articles/2011/11/...5393751436.txt
    Man, JackMD, you're right. Really biased red glasses in that paper.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Man, JackMD, you're right. Really biased red glasses in that paper.
      Jack MD isn't wrong, our sports department is very pro USD. but he is wrong in they are not afraid to break a story if they get the facts. James is a MMC grad, Jeremy a USD Grad, but honestly, they do a very good job with the resources they have available. I think if the story breaks somewhere other than the volante Jeremy will probably be the one to break it, he has the best contacts over at USD of anyone in the state. He does for USD athletics what Terry does for SDSU at the Argus, just from a smaller paper so doesn't get the respect.
      Last edited by leeshajo; 11-30-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
        ...Jeremy a USD Grad, but honestly, they do a very good job with the resources they have available. I think if the story breaks somewhere other than the volante Jeremy will probably be the one to break it, he has the best contacts over at USD of anyone in the state. He does for USD athletics what Terry does for SDSU at the Argus, just from a smaller paper so doesn't get the respect.
        Can't dispute the above. Hoeck has been a reliable reporter of news about USD athletics.

Comment

Jack MD isn't wrong, our sports department is very pro USD. but he is wrong in they are not afraid to break a story if they get the facts. James is a MMC grad, Jeremy a USD Grad, but honestly, they do a very good job with the resources they have available. I think if the story breaks somewhere other than the volante Jeremy will probably be the one to break it, he has the best contacts over at USD of anyone in the state. He does for USD athletics what Terry does for SDSU at the Argus, just from a smaller paper so doesn't get the respect.
          Just poking fun. From what he said above, I was expecting an Ode to USD Shakespearian sonnet.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Always interesting to hear what people say about things they have not actually seen or heard themselves.

Here is the "Daily Dose" article from the Yankton Press and Dakotan on Monday, November 21st.

So, at the end of the season after another collapse on the road a blurb in the daily dose equals unbiased reporting. I'm learning more about the tricks of this trade everyday. Thank you for the education.

I'll keep reading the paper everyday including the articles about SDSU, USD, MMC and local sports. I'll continue to provide my opinion as a reader. If that isn't appropriate I apologize.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I follow Jeremy on Twitter. I think he does a nice job.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                I follow Jeremy on Twitter. I think he does a nice job.
                I think he does a nice job too, I just think he could do a better job. Perhaps I am wrong, that is a definite possibility. Perhaps he is limited and what I expect he could do is not even an option. I have access to people and information that a sportswriter may not have.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I'm learning more about the tricks of this trade everyday.
                  When the pen is pushed by Stu Whitney, then it's the "tricks of the TIRADE."

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    So, at the end of the season after another collapse on the road a blurb in the daily dose equals unbiased reporting. I'm learning more about the tricks of this trade everyday. Thank you for the education.

I'll keep reading the paper everyday including the articles about SDSU, USD, MMC and local sports. I'll continue to provide my opinion as a reader. If that isn't appropriate I apologize.
                    Got it. You read the Yankton paper. You form opinions. Good for you.

There are a ton of others on this board that have never and will never open the Yankton paper's pages or log on to to their website. They were also sharing their own thoughts on how the guys at the paper should do their job. Just trying to give people an example of their work so they can form a more educated opinion.

Comment

Back in the day of the KWSN reader board, (weren't those great times Mike?) the fever and ferver of the Jacks moving up to D1 was at its height. I got into a pissing match quite regularly with Jeremy and he wrote some pretty pointed pieces that were pretty unfair to SDSU, as a student at USD in the Argus.

He is a decent sportswriter but could be better served if he took off the rose colored glasses on occassion.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                        Back in the day of the KWSN reader board, (weren't those great times Mike?) the fever and ferver of the Jacks moving up to D1 was at its height. I got into a pissing match quite regularly with Jeremy and he wrote some pretty pointed pieces that were pretty unfair to SDSU, as a student at USD in the Argus.

He is a decent sportswriter but could be better served if he took off the rose colored glasses on occassion.
                        Mike H. can defend Jeremy and I wasn't trying to berate what he does I just wonder what might happen if he reported even more objectively than he already does. Bias is present in all reporting just like its present when consuming information. On this issue I have excessive bias in one direction and haven't done as good a job recognizing that. Jeremy is an excellent sportswriter and I hope one day he moves on to a much more important role. I think he has the tools and talent to do so I just hope he isn't letting someone or something prevent him for writing what should be written. Again, he may not have access to information or permission to write more than he is. In fact, I'm not sure the details even matter the more I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Maybe this is off base, but it usually isn't the beat reporter that reports on bad news, but rather someone else at the paper. The beat reporter needs to keep a good rapport with everyone in the athletic department to do their job.

A perfect example is when Stu wrote articles about Fred Oein leaving and the "controversy" that surrounded that move. The beat reporter didn't write the article because no one in the athletic department would have talked to them after.

Stu or someone else at the AL should investigate this. If true, the allegations would cause some short term pain for USD but might cause institutional changes to make it a better university.
                          Eventually TV did write the article didn't he? Not to drudge too much up.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

blistering....I'm surprised there is any paint left on my walls......
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Is there any more to be said about Ed and his contract to no where? I am done.

Comment

Working...
                              X