Snowblower Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snowblower Advice

Buy a can of PAM spray cooking oil...when the snow is real wet, spray PAM on your snow-blower's blades and the chute. You'll be surprised how it won't clog.

Comment

Originally posted by dozer1981 View Post
      I guess it is the farmer in me but my opinion is go with the green and yellow...John Deere. I have had both a 1032 and an 828 which is 10hp with 32 inch cut and same values for the other one.. Both worked great. You pay a little more from the start but they will always be worth a little more down the road. So much for my two cents worth. Texas Tech just put up 56 on OSU...Big game next week against OU on the road.....
      I am with you on the JD equipment, but John Deere does not sell their own snowblower anymore. They do sell an Ariens I believe.

BTW, what snow you guys talking about? We didn't even need to sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Buy a can of PAM spray cooking oil...when the snow is real wet, spray PAM on your snow-blower's blades and the chute. You'll be surprised how it won't clog.
        PAM has a lot of uses outside of the kitchen. I spray it on anything that I don't want to stick to something else, most notably my muck rake when cleaning the kennel.

Comment

Well, I don't know about anyone else who may have purchased a snowblower this year...but man am I glad I got one this year!

I was quite hesitant to buy one because the past few years we just haven't had that much snow...but I've had to use it about 5 times already, and we're not even to Christmas yet!

It was definately a good year to buy a snowblower!
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
            Jackmd - How did your quest for a snowblower turn out?

I got a Poulan Pro 8.5hp with a 27" cut and a Tecumseh engine tonight.

I visited today with a local small engine repair guy and he said he'd stay away from Troy-Built engines although he did give them props for being quiet, similar to a Honda, and he also said he wouldn't necessarily stay away from a Briggs and Stratton engine, but didn't exactly love them either..said the engines on snowblowers aren't as good as engines on lawnmowers and other power equipment. He recommended Tecumseh over everything for snowblowers.

That being said, I'd venture to guess they are all pretty decent when it comes right down to it.
            I bought the Poulan as well, the price was right. Very happy with it so far. I can sneak it past the front edge of my truck and blow the drive way clean before any tracks get packed into it. Its a little bit light but I didn't want too big a machine right now. I just don't have the room in my garage for a monster blower. I've used it 4 times now and I have no complaints. Metal through out, the chute, the engine housing, everything, should hold up well. Not as nice as an Ariens but it will fit my needs just right.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This is a classic post and topic. Proves some of you guys don't have a life.

Comment

Well, it is SD and some good snow advice never hurts

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                  I beg to differ. It proves that even though we are faithful Jackrabbit fans that we have other interests and concerns. As friends, we give each other advice on things that make life more enjoyable. As you read this forum you will see that we are concerned about our entire athletic department, our entire university, our entire state, and about each other's well being. We are a community. Join us. Merry Christmas.
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I think your comment says more about the state of happiness in your life than anything else. My snowblower has been a godsend this year. Given me more time to be with wife and kids. Also has allowed me to be able to actually move during that time.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

And yet you took the time to not only open the thread, but read and comment. Kettle, this is pot, you're black.
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

While this post proves you are a jackass. Have a Merry Christmas, I'm going to go out and blow some snow this afternoon.

If you'd like to hear about my morning send me a PM and we'll talk briefly in confidence about my life. Without it another individual may not have theirs to enjoy and thats just this morning. I'm not tooting my horn just helping you understand what a productive and full life might be like, at least if you wear my shoes. It involves a wife, 3 children, a busy and rewarding career as a physician and professor (at USD none-the-less), a love of hunting, fishing, and the outdoors and a very healthy addiction to Jackrabbit athletics.

Don't waste your jealous time concerned about how we manage such busy and succesful lives and still find time to support each other while in support of the Jackrabbits. It's likely to drive you nuts. Again, have a Merry Christmas, I know I will and I know part of the day will be spent right here.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          another individual may not have theirs to enjoy and thats just this morning.
                          Dang, and I was proud of myself for upgrading the quality and selection of equipment our football players went out on the field with.

Has to be a great day when that happens doc.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Posts, not posters.

(Although my initial mistyping of "Posts, not posers" may have some applicablity here, too . . . )
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Way to be a negative nancy.

Go shovel some snow!
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                Way to be a negative nancy.

Go shovel some snow!

Don't get down on him, USD grads don't typically need snowblowers. The landlord of the trailer park takes care of the snow for them.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X