Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snowblower Advice

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Yeah, now the only way I can one up the neighbors is by getting up earlier to do the driveway and if they're up at the same time, then I take off my coat and act like I'm sweating.

Yep, $60 well spent. But, in addition to pretending I'm a heavy-equipment operator, I also pretend I'm a qualified mechanic so I change the oil.
    Maybe you need to install a hoist in your garage. That will eliminate the squatting.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      This thread is pretty funny.

I can't even say I'm adding my two cents' worth because the following is worth maybe two mills.

First, an observation: Let's face it guys, we like snowblowers because for most of us, it's the closest we get to being heavy-equipment operators and we've all wanted to be heavy-equipment operators since we graduated from the sandbox and the large, yellow Tonka grader and dump truck.

Second, advice: Do not... Let me say that again: DO NOT squat down to change the oil on your snowblower when your knees are 40 or more years of age. I did that, resulting in a meniscus tear (picture this: I hear a pop and wonder 'what the heck was that?' so I go up and down, eight or ten squats in quick succession...could hardly walk the next morning) and a scope procedure which caused the doc to tell me: no more running and your knee should last. Ten years later, the knee feels great and I carry 10 extra pounds. (I find I can run slowly about 2.5 miles without pain which probably would not surprise my Jackrabbit teammates who will say I never ran more than 2.5 miles and always ran slowly.)

Oh yeah, get the eight horse engine...I have the five which works just fine 80% of the time but my neighbors have bigger machines.

Great call on that one. I freely admit that my snowblower is one of my favorite toys. Regarding the 8 horse, if you get into a dispute with a neighbor, when the wind is right you can put most of the snow from your driveway right on his roof.
      An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
      US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Walrus View Post
        Great call on that one. I freely admit that my snowblower is one of my favorite toys. Regarding the 8 horse, if you get into a dispute with a neighbor, when the wind is right you can put most of the snow from your driveway right on his roof.

That one just made my day.

Comment

I am also in the market this fall for a snowblower. My father insists I get nothing less than something with an 8hp engine. He says when you get the heavy, wet snows, the smaller engines just don't toss the snow worth a hoot.

I'm looking to get maybe a Poulan Pro 8.5hp from Runnings. What I seem to be seeing a lot now-days is engine sizes not being labeled in HP, but in CC's, I have done any research to see how many CC's = 1 HP, but snowblowers at Lowes that are 209cc's seem to be similar size to the 8.5hp at Runnings.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

When I went looking for mine the only difference I found that the ones Lowes was selling and the ones Sears was selling was the name. Same machine different name. But definately make sure its a Briggs and Stratten. Support South Dakota's very own Mr. Briggs. Only snowed twice that winter after I bought it. Last winter about every two days it seemed.

Comment

In my opinion while B&S makes good engines, the best small power equipment engines I have used are made by Honda. Honda small engines are smoother and more powerful in my experience. My Honda lawn mower is by far the best mower I have ever had. It replaced a two-year-old Snapper with a Briggs & Stratton engine. The Honda is more powerful, quieter, and doesn't shake like a Harley V-Twin the way the Snapper did.

That said: I can't afford a Honda snowblower. They're more than $2,000. So I'll be buying something with a Briggs & Stratton engine to move snow at about half that price.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                In my opinion while B&S makes good engines, the best small power equipment engines I have used are made by Honda. Honda small engines are smoother and more powerful in my experience. My Honda lawn mower is by far the best mower I have ever had. It replaced a two-year-old Snapper with a Briggs & Stratton engine. The Honda is more powerful, quieter, and doesn't shake like a Harley V-Twin the way the Snapper did.

That said: I can't afford a Honda snowblower. They're more than $2,000. So I'll be buying something with a Briggs & Stratton engine to move snow at about half that price.
                I've heard great things about the Honda's but I don't want to invest the money for the small job. If I we're a commercial guy or someone who had an hour or two of snowblowing to do I'd consider it. Currently discussing a purchase of a machine with a former Jackrabbit football player now working at a hardware store.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jackmd - How did your quest for a snowblower turn out?

I got a Poulan Pro 8.5hp with a 27" cut and a Tecumseh engine tonight.

I visited today with a local small engine repair guy and he said he'd stay away from Troy-Built engines although he did give them props for being quiet, similar to a Honda, and he also said he wouldn't necessarily stay away from a Briggs and Stratton engine, but didn't exactly love them either..said the engines on snowblowers aren't as good as engines on lawnmowers and other power equipment. He recommended Tecumseh over everything for snowblowers.

That being said, I'd venture to guess they are all pretty decent when it comes right down to it.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I've heard great things about the Honda's but I don't want to invest the money for the small job. If I we're a commercial guy or someone who had an hour or two of snowblowing to do I'd consider it. Currently discussing a purchase of a machine with a former Jackrabbit football player now working at a hardware store.
                    Honda does sell their engines to other manufacturers, at least for lawn mowers. So it might be possible to find a snowblower with a Honda engine for less than the ridiculous Honda price.

Lots of helpful information here. I have to buy one of these things this year, too. Thanks everybody. Who knew that a snowblower thread would generate so much interest. I think Filbert's explanation above is spot on.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I hope you guys all have your snowblowers ready to go. I've got drifts up to my a$$ and it's pretty tough going.
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                        I hope you guys all have your snowblowers ready to go. I've got drifts up to my a$$ and it's pretty tough going.
                        Ha Ha! My sidewalk didn't even turn white here in Sioux Falls.

Gotta get the shot in now, because I know in January & February it will be worse here.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          Gotta get the shot in now, because I know in January & February it will be worse here.
                          I actually fired mine up for the first time today and blew 5 or 6 inches of snow away from my back patio. The 8.5 horses blew that wet, heavy snow to kingdom come.

It. Was. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post

You're probably right. One thing about the fall and spring storms that we sometimes get, the day after is usually very nice. I just visited with my neighbor who was out shoveling show while wearing shorts.

Addendum: I neglected to mention that my neighbor is a USD graduate.
                            Last edited by West-River_Jack; 11-08-2008, 01:59 PM. Reason: Addendum added.
                            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

That would only be west river. Colder than heck here the day after and still blowing.

Comment

I guess it is the farmer in me but my opinion is go with the green and yellow...John Deere. I have had both a 1032 and an 828 which is 10hp with 32 inch cut and same values for the other one.. Both worked great. You pay a little more from the start but they will always be worth a little more down the road. So much for my two cents worth. Texas Tech just put up 56 on OSU...Big game next week against OU on the road.....

Comment

Working...
                                X