Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies

My three favorite movies this year (and I've seen fewer than any year since 2000)

A. Zodiac. Out too early to be remembered by the Academy, I think it's one of the best of the year. I love true stories. Robert Downey Jr. can really act when he's not drinking or drugging. Too bad it didn't come out with the biggies, but made a nice late winter movie.

B. Michael Clayton. Tom Wilkinson was nominated for supporting actor Golden Globe. Didn't see most of the nominees but thought he was great. Clooney and Tilda Swinton both excellent.

C. No Country for Old Men. I think it stands with Fargo and Blood Simple as one of three truly great Coen Brothers movies. My wife, however, hated it. Go figure, guess I should have taken her to see Atonement.

Honorable Mention-- HairSpray. Better, but less memorable than the John Waters original.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      I may have to turn in my "Man Card" for this, but I went to "Juno" on Saturday with the wife. Actually thought it was a pretty good little comedy.

Rip away.
      Also saw Juno on Saturday with the wife. Laughed my ass off.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        Also saw Juno on Saturday with the wife. Laughed my ass off.
        I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was funny. I hadn't seen any previews or heard much about it, so it was one of those good suprises for me. Well worth the money.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was funny. I hadn't seen any previews or heard much about it, so it was one of those good suprises for me. Well worth the money.
          I had only heard the award buzz about "Juno", hadn't seen any previews at all, but my wife gave me the option to see that or "The Bucket List" and I chose Juno even though I am a huge Morgan Freeman fan. I wasn't dissapointed at all.

Also saw "I Am Legend" at historic Grauman/Mann's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd while in California last month. I really liked it and would recommend any movie fan to try and see a movie at that theater if you ever have the chance. Sound in the theater shook you in your seat and the screen was about a mile wide. I felt a little wierd about going to a movie while on vacation but it was one of the better things we did while there. Like somebody said, it took us about an hour to unwind after the movie and the "Dark Knight" trailer is sweet.

Just rented "Rescue Dawn" and watched last night. Ending was a little dissapointing, but overall a good movie too. "Zodiac" is on tap next. There are a ton of good films out there right now IMO, both in theaters and at the store.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I may have to turn in my "Man Card" for this, but I went to "Juno" on Saturday with the wife. Actually thought it was a pretty good little comedy.

Rip away.
            I too went and saw "Juno" with the girlfriend and I too enjoyed it. A bunch of my roommates (who are all guys) went and saw it the night before I did and recommended it.

Comment

Juno-- I want to see it I heard its funny though I have heard that people are upset because teen pregnancy shouldn't be a funny thing

Charlie Wilsons War--- went to see it the day it debuted then found out it wasn't in the theatre I went to.... not to happy....

Zodiak--- are you kidding? my sister and my cousin went to it and they said they didn't care about the money they wanted the time they wasted watching it back....

23--- great movie I loved the way it was put together

Lions for Lambs.... most people didn't like it but I thought it was pretty good reminded me of a poormans Crash, where everything ties into each other but if you weren't paying attention you wouldn't really notice.

Michael Clayton--- I downloaded it twice and one time it was in Spanish and the second time it was in French so I think I may just have to go rent that one

Televison shows

I liked Jericho--- I don't think of much of a future for the show however even though CBS killed it then decided to ordered 7 eppisodes I think it is similar to Prison Break where only so many people can die while others continue to live before the show looses its momentum...

and the lesser known Life about a guy that was sentenced to life for killing his friend and his family and after 12 years is found that he couldn't of did it, part of the severance is what is believed to be in the nieborhood of 50million and a job as a homicide detective he finds out who actually killed his friend but now needs to find out why and why they framed him.... NBC ordered the back end of the first season but the writers strike is putting the show on hiatus for now.... damn WGA strike.... It is a lot like House but a Crime Drama.... an English Actor who does things his way, is the best but also has a short leash....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Juno-- I want to see it I heard its funny though I have heard that people are upset because teen pregnancy shouldn't be a funny thing
                Teen pregnancy = not funny. This movie = funny. It will be well worth your time joeboo.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Rent the movie "Once". Great movie. Low budget film out of Ireland, but a great movie. Actually, I'd recommend buying it on DVD.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Teen pregnancy = not funny. This movie = funny. It will be well worth your time joeboo.
                    Juno is totally worth your time. Ellen Page is my new favorite actress.

Comment

Last night I took my wife to see Made of Honor. I enjoyed the movie, it was a bit chick flickish but there were a few times when I laughed out loud.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                      X