X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    From some guy name Simon Holland on Istagram:

So we don't go to restaurants, kids aren't signed up for anything, and we are just staying home during spring break? Sounds like my childhood.
    My childhood was big time when you got to go to VOLGA on Saturday night and watch a dated movie featuring Randolf Scott shown at the City Auditoruim. I shall never forget those hard chairs that we sat on. Sometimes grocery shopping in Brookings was a super highlight. None of the present reminds me of those days because i am inching near the end, and back then was dab into heading towards adulthood. Different stages and different reactions.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Richards
      He was contemporary of the Beach Boys
      Thank you I have never followed the Rolling Stones, I lost interesting following the Beatles. Different age group I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

My childhood was big time when you got to go to VOLGA on Saturday night and watch a dated movie featuring Randolf Scott shown at the City Auditoruim. I shall never forget those hard chairs that we sat on. Sometimes grocery shopping in Brookings was a super highlight. None of the present reminds me of those days because i am inching near the end, and back then was dab into heading towards adulthood. Different stages and different reactions.
        This is the example of how so many people have different expectations than earlier generations. It has always been a push for improving the next generation's economic, social, personal fulfillment, or fill in the blank situation. It has become a tremendous adjustment to change course for even a short time. Grocery shopping may again be a highlight for some when the days for social distancing relax again. For the time being we should appreciate those that continue to bring food and health care to our communities during these uncertain and unfamiliar times.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          . I wore a mask. I doubt if it did any good .
          Per the CDC recommendation - masks are to prevent asymptomatic people from spreading the virus. You need to be wearing something with a filter (N95 mask) in order for the mask to prevent you from inhaling an airborne droplet of this virus. Those types of masks should be donated to your local health places due to shortages. Unless you are in the at risk areas, then keep them for yourself.

-all of the above suggestions are just that suggestions. Do what you feel is best for you and your family.
          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

As I hang out in my DFW suburban home, I'm thankful that this pandemic happened now, rather than 20 years ago. We couldn't have telework (remote access, webinars, etc) then.
            How's Sioux Falls feeling with the Smithfield plant being the highest concentration center in the Midwest?

Thank goodness my personal recreation of choice, disc golf, allows a person to get and stay away from others, and still get out into parks.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
              As I hang out in my DFW suburban home, I'm thankful that this pandemic happened now, rather than 20 years ago. We couldn't have telework (remote access, webinars, etc) then.
              How's Sioux Falls feeling with the Smithfield plant being the highest concentration center in the Midwest?

Thank goodness my personal recreation of choice, disc golf, allows a person to get and stay away from others, and still get out into parks.
              I don’t wish to comment on Smithfield. The Human Resources people no doubt have their hands full. I noticed that disk golf is getting very popular. We have a course in the park in Arlington, but I have yet to see anyone play. Wierd I finally figure out what this game was about after visiting Larson Park. It’s big time there!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post

This morning the report was released from the CDC inspection of Smithfield Foods. It seems to confirm there are many improvements done in the plant. It recognizes that the 40 languages make it difficult to communicate efficiently with signs that regard safety and hygiene. A few of the things to be conveyed involve employees wearing face shields that are sized, barriers within the work areas, less congregation in locker and break areas, and temperature checks in and out. It is a relatively short 15 page summary with additional suggestions. It should be accessible online or it is available on the Argus website. The report seems to indicate work may continue in the near future as the recommendations are achieved on a few more items.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

This morning the report was released from the CDC inspection of Smithfield Foods. It seems to confirm there are many improvements done in the plant. It recognizes that the 40 languages make it difficult to communicate efficiently with signs that regard safety and hygiene. A few of the things to be conveyed involve employees wearing face shields that are sized, barriers within the work areas, less congregation in locker and break areas, and temperature checks in and out. It is a relatively short 15 page summary with additional suggestions. It should be accessible online or it is available on the Argus website. The report seems to indicate work may continue in the near future as the recommendations are achieved on a few more items.
                  I would guess there will be no more $500 bonuses for not missing work for 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I would guess there will be no more $500 bonuses for not missing work for 30 days.
                    Bad guess...the bonus is also addressed in the report and the employer will not include COVID related illness as missed work. It is at the bottom of Page 2 going into Page 3.

Comment

Bad guess...the bonus is also addressed in the report and the employer will not include COVID related illness as missed work. It is at the bottom of Page 2 going into Page 3.
                      But did the employees know that in late March and early April ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

But did the employees know that in late March and early April ?
                        I would say that nothing was in any agreements back in that time frame. This is in the CDC inspection report which is a result of the fun we are experiencing with this malady. The report is showing what has been done in the plant and the exemption of COVID illness in regard to the $500 spiff is something that is like the distancing in locker, workspace, cafeteria, and walkways in the plant which are all post event adjustments....which is the emphasis of the CDC inspection. The report also goes into detail about how there should be signs in the 10 most prevalent languages and many more "universal" pictures to elevate the awareness of safety and hygiene. If there were any illegal activity findings, I missed that in this report. I am sure that there will be stories to follow if there were legal infractions. I would guess that there may be a similar situation in Worthington with the Brazilian owned plant there which has had bit of a boom in health reports concerning COVID. The food processing industry is an essential activity and we know that the virus is extremely contagious. There are harder decisions than normal.

Comment

I would say that nothing was in any agreements back in that time frame. This is in the CDC inspection report which is a result of the fun we are experiencing with this malady. The report is showing what has been done in the plant and the exemption of COVID illness in regard to the $500 spiff is something that is like the distancing in locker, workspace, cafeteria, and walkways in the plant which are all post event adjustments....which is the emphasis of the CDC inspection. The report also goes into detail about how there should be signs in the 10 most prevalent languages and many more "universal" pictures to elevate the awareness of safety and hygiene. If there were any illegal activity findings, I missed that in this report. I am sure that there will be stories to follow if there were legal infractions. I would guess that there may be a similar situation in Worthington with the Brazilian owned plant there which has had bit of a boom in health reports concerning COVID. The food processing industry is an essential activity and we know that the virus is extremely contagious. There are harder decisions than normal.
                          Everyone in Worthington knew it was not a question of if, but when things would break here after Smithfield broke. There are a number of Worthington residents that worked at Smithfield , with some residences having workers from both plants living there. Having spent a lot of time in plants through college meat judging and now coaching an FFA team, the whole social distancing thing is going to be tough to implement. I've heard rumors of research being done to convert a lot of the physical work to robotics, and the COVID situation may speed that up.

Comment

The nefarious origins of the Care19 app finally coming to light. Don't think there's enough bleach or Lysol to inject into that to rid it of the stain of its Bison fan tracking roots.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                              The nefarious origins of the Care19 app finally coming to light. Don't think there's enough bleach or Lysol to inject into that to rid it of the stain of its Bison fan tracking roots.
                              The crazy thing about this is the phone tracks you irregardless of adopting the special tracker. How many times do you get a message about how you enjoyed the business you just left? The Care19 is just asking permission specifically to report your tracking against others tracking. It is a small formality to allow the government health persons to see your information first.

Comment

The crazy thing about this is the phone tracks you irregardless of adopting the special tracker. How many times do you get a message about how you enjoyed the business you just left? The Care19 is just asking permission specifically to report your tracking against others tracking. It is a small formality to allow the government health persons to see your information first.
                                Guess I should've used sarcasm font, and to answer your question, I don't get the notifications when exiting a business, but I did have the "good fortune" of getting a call from SDDOH that one of my Lyft riders tested positive for COVID in mid-March. Hooray for self isolation!

No Care19 app was involved, as it hadn't made the transition from glorified Bison fan tracker

Comment

Working...
                                X