Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Music

notice the quotes around ruined. Picture two fingers on either side of my head making those quote marks.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
      notice the quotes around ruined. Picture two fingers on either side of my head making those quote marks.
      like threatening the world with your "laser?"
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Yes, but only if the project is designed by Alan Parsons
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Sorry. 6 hours of yelling at little kids apparently ruined my Sarcasm Meter for the day.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

"So you would say Preperation H feels good... on the whole."
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              Sorry. 6 hours of yelling at little kids apparently ruined my Sarcasm Meter for the day.
              The trick is to use sarcasm when you yell at the little kids, it makes you feel better. Ever seen the Will Ferrell skit (I think) where he trains his dog using sarcasm? Great stuff.
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Snookums and I (well, just me, mainly, as Snookums is kinda the opposite of a music fan) are thinking about taking in one of Steely Dan's shows in Chicago the end of August.

I found it highly amusing that the Site Guide page on their web site has an HTML meta-tag that reads
                "Official Steely Dan SiteGuide. You Can Get Anywhere From Here."
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Anyone that enjoys folksy, acoustic music should check out Joshua James. There are two artists by the same name, he is not the Christian singer.

Comment

What shows are people planning on going to in Summer of 09?

I'm going to try to go to The Offspring/Alkiline Trio in Sioux City in the end of May.

Hopefully a blink-182 show close by whenever they release their tour dates.

If Spill Canvas is in Sioux Falls again, I'll prolly go again. I went last year when they were with Motion City Soundtrack and Sing It Loud. I doubt it would be as good of a lineup this year, but who knows.
                    Ended up going to The Offspring show. I saw Mayday Parade and Metro Station in July. Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy and blink-182 (best show of my entire life) in August. I also saw Spill on August 29th in Sioux Falls.

I'm going to We The Kings and All Time Low in Minneapolis in November and possibly Brand New in Minneapolis in October.

Comment

Ended up going to The Offspring show. I saw Mayday Parade and Metro Station in July. Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy and blink-182 (best show of my entire life) in August. I also saw Spill on August 29th in Sioux Falls.

I'm going to We The Kings and All Time Low in Minneapolis in November and possibly Brand New in Minneapolis in October.
                      I only ended up going to a couple of shows this summer but the two I did, I loved. I saw Atmosphere in Sioux Falls and then a couple of weeks later I saw Spill. Both were great shows.

I had never seen Atmosphere before and it was different to see a rap group but they were fantastic.

I would love to see Brand New as well, I might have to make that trip to Minneapolis. Brand New is one of my favorites.

Comment

BEST OF 2009 LIST

Haven't been on the board much this year due to life getting busier and busier, but I still spent plenty of time and money trying to find good music this year. Thought I'd put my 2009 list on the board for anyone who was interested. Below is a list of my favorites from the past year in no particular order.

We Were Promised Jetpacks - "These Four Walls" (Alt Rock)
                        William Elliott Whitmore - "Animals In The Dark" (Blue Grass/Folk)
                        The Clientelle - "Bonfires On The Heath" (Indie Rock)
                        Cotton Jones - "Paranoid Cocoon" (70's Folk)
                        Foreign Born - "Person to Person" (Indie Rock)
                        Andrew Bird - "Noble Beast" (Folk/Indie Rock?)
                        The Swell Season - "Strict Joy" (Folk)
                        Colin Hay - "American Sunshine" (Folk/Pop)
                        DM Stith - "Heavy Ghost" (Indie Rock/Folk?)
                        Sholi - "Sholi" (Indie Rock)

A couple notes on the above list. First: take all of the genre classifications with a grain of salt. I feel like I'm having a conversation with my wife about paint colors when trying to figure out what genre a certain artist/band fits into. Is the paint color green or is it "forest wren"? Is the album Indie Rock or "Post-Modern Alternative Punk Rock"? I'm frankly not smart enough to make that determination. I am a product of the Poison, Cinderella and Def Leppard era. How am I supposed to know?

Second: Colin Hay could not come any more highly recommended as being placed on the MUST SEE list if he ever comes to your neck of the woods. He will be in the Minneapolis/Milwaukee/Chicago area this March. I've been to see him 4 times since I've lived in Milwaukee. The shows are solo acoustic performances - which is when he's at his best. Buy the "Transcendental Highway" album for the song "I'm Doing Fine". That song alone makes the purchase worth it. He plays a mean accoustic guitar (contradiction of terms?) and has one of the most unique voices around.

Last: If you are looking for a good rock album, pick up the We Were Promised Jetpacks from above. It's not heavy metal, but just good old Rock n Roll. It's a group from across the pond and just really cool rock music.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

One additional music post. If you have plenty of time to kill (I mean hours) and are looking to expand your IPod selection, then check out this website.

http://www.daytrotter.com/

The Daytrotter website is chalked full of good music and free downloads. It's basically a website run by a guy based out of Iowa (the Quad Cities). He books local and nationwide talent to stop by his studio or record elsewhere. The songs are recorded solely for his website and often are scaled down versions of songs from the artists' albums. He then allows all who peruse his website to download those recordings for free and put them on their Ipod (or whatever digital music player you so choose).

There is a listing of all the artists who have stopped by in the 3-4 years since he has been doing this. It's pretty cool and a great way to kill an afternoon. Check out Colin Hay's offerings to see what I'm talking about in the Best of 2009 post above.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

One new band that I listened to in 2009 that I loved is a band called fun. with the former lead singer of The Format. They are really poppy band and there first CD Aim and Ignite is definitely one of my favorites. I encourage anyone to give them a listen if they like up-beat pop music.

Comment

For those children of the 80's like myself. Colin Hay is the former lead singer of Men at Work. I'm sure the music is much different now but thought I'd throw out the reference.
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

For those children of the 80's like myself. Colin Hay is the former lead singer of Men at Work. I'm sure the music is much different now but thought I'd throw out the reference.

One of my favorite songs is Colin Hay singing "Overkill" acoustically. Here's a link of him singing it on Bob & Tom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUeB3eO9qU
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X