Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homebrewing Beer

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I have to say you guys have definitely been the most help. I really appreciate it. I've gotten some info on BV and on another messageboard but this has given me some real stuff to chew on. I definitely plan on using the advice I've gotten here. I like the idea of the turkey fryer.

Just to give an idea of what ballpark I am shooting for, I like Fat Tire. I would probably shoot for something in that area.

Another question, can you make a beer/ale have a higher alcohol content? I'm guessing you can a little, but do you have a wide range? Could you get an ale up to 9% to 10% and still taste good?
    Yes you can, but you need to use a yeast that can tolerate the higher alcohol level--most standard homebrew yeast poops out at around 5-6%, if i recall correctly.

When you look into it, you'll find that there's a huge variety of yeasts that will give different flavors, and tolerate different fermenting temperatures and alcohol levels. I recently moved from dried yeasts to liquid yeasts (they come in test tube-like containers) and have had pretty good results--you can mail order them or get them from a good local homebrew store.

It also gets a bit tricky to get the right balance of sweetness/hops bitterness/alcohol when you're shooting that high. I have a tendency to slightly over-malt my batches that I'm trying to get to a high alcohol content, so they wind up both potent and a bit on the sweet side (which for me is okay because I'm not that into IPA-style hops bitterness).
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I found out we do have a home brewing store in the F/M area! Just a little excited! I would much rather go to a store and check things out rather than online if possible. At least I will have a place to compare prices with. I go to a beer making class in a couple weeks and then I might get started.

Comment

Good for you. I started years ago before classes were readily available and had to learn a lot by trial and error. A local homebrew shop will be a nice resource for advice also.

Fat Tire is pretty popular so you should be able find a kit for that. Midwest Supplies has one they called Flat Tire. One piece of advice on kits. Make certain it has 6 lbs of malt (2 cans or two bags). Some kits skimp on malt and substitute corn sugar. They get the alcohol but the taste is weak.

Filbert is correct, a very high alcohol brew requires careful selection of yeast. I tend to stay below 8% alcohol, and often brew session beers, at that level most brewing yeasts are OK. Above 10% the addition of wine making or distillers yeast may be needed. Your brew store can help you out there. Also, procure yourself a hygrometer.

After you get into this a bit and figure out what the various malts, hops and yeasts do you will be better able to make you own clones. Many micro-brewers will list malts and hops they use along with color ratings and bittering levels. From there the experimentation kicks in which is half the fun. With homebrew, even mistakes can be enjoyed!
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I can't thank you guys enough for the tidbits of info. Glad to know about the malt vs corn sugar etc. Can't get going on this soon enough.

Comment

Dang it now I want to start after reading all the posts here.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Dang it now I want to start after reading all the posts here.
              Drinking or making?

Comment

Drinking or making?
                Welll.....both actually. My pipe dream for a career would be a brewmeister or own or run a small local brewry.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Goon, wander down to Good Spirits, 41st & MN. They can set you up with everything you would need for not too much scratch. I rarely buy beer now other than at a restaurant or bar. And often that is a dissapointment. The cool thing about homebrew is you can make it fit your taste.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    Goon, wander down to Good Spirits, 41st & MN. They can set you up with everything you would need for not too much scratch. I rarely buy beer now other than at a restaurant or bar. And often that is a dissapointment. The cool thing about homebrew is you can make it fit your taste.
                    I just might. I think my first batch I will name it nectur of the gods.

Comment

Anybody on here make their own beer? I'm looking into doing some homebrewing and have just started to read up on it. Looks to be a bit labor intensive but could be fun. If anybody has done this before I would be interested to hear what you have to say.
                      A brother in law does and he is hooked - and he has gotten very good at it. If you are a beer person, and you have patience and a place to devote to it, you might be surprised at how good you can get at it rather quickly. Bro on law makes enough now that we tease him about ATF coming after him, probably 25 cases a year, a lot of which he shares and gives as gifts (six pack here, a couple bottles there, etc). Honest to God, two of his beers he brought to a camping trip last year were the best beers I drank all year. Ice cold around the campfire - I can still taste it.

Comment

...Fat Tire is pretty popular so you should be able find a kit for that. Midwest Supplies has one they called Flat Tire. One piece of advice on kits. Make certain it has 6 lbs of malt (2 cans or two bags). Some kits skimp on malt and substitute corn sugar. They get the alcohol but the taste is weak.
                        After you get into this a bit and figure out what the various malts, hops and yeasts do you will be better able to make you own clones. Many micro-brewers will list malts and hops they use along with color ratings and bittering levels. From there the experimentation kicks in which is half the fun. With homebrew, even mistakes can be enjoyed!
                        I'm brewing...still learning but all of the advice given in this thread is pretty solid. The above comments by Prairiehaus are particularly true.

Make sure you keep meticulous notes as you start experimenting with finding "your beer". I have four bottles left out of a batch of a Fat Tire cousin (mine is better ). I'm real pleased with the result. And, you can have some fun labeling your brew. I make "Wild Red Hare" and my USD neighbor thinks its pretty good.

My latest nutty idea is to experiment growing some hops. From my reading, the darned stuff grows faster than weeds...lots of varieties available and some will grow okay in my area.

Comment

I really want to start as well. Next time I'm in Sioux Falls I may try to get over to Good Spirits and get set up. My father-in-law makes his own and every beer I've had of his has been fantastic.

Comment

JD, not such a nutty idea. I've had a few people ask if I wanted to use their home grown hops. The neighbor to my father grew some Nugget hops up a pole in front of their condo (the wife planted as an ornamental vine). Nugget hops isn't a favorite of mine, I find it harsh. I used those hops for a batch of pale ale doing a first wort hop adding Simco for bittering and Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and aroma. Turned out OK.

From what I understand hops can grow very tall, up to 30'. They need moist soil but well drained and protection from wind.

Comment

JD, not such a nutty idea. I've had a few people ask if I wanted to use their home grown hops. The neighbor to my father grew some Nugget hops up a pole in front of their condo (the wife planted as an ornamental vine). Nugget hops isn't a favorite of mine, I find it harsh. I used those hops for a batch of pale ale doing a first wort hop adding Simco for bittering and Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and aroma. Turned out OK.

From what I understand hops can grow very tall, up to 30'. They need moist soil but well drained and protection from wind.
                              If you've been to Target Field for a Twins game, you've probably noted near the main entrance, the tall (30 or 40 feet) aluminum, circular trellis. In the pots below the trellis, hops are planted. The hops plants are about a foot tall when the season opens and by mid season they cover most of the trellis. That's how fast hops grows. The designers of Target Field are giving a little tip of their hat to Minnesota's beer-making tradition.

Prairiehaas, you're much further along than me. Experimenting with different hops is where I'm going but I'm still in the reading stage. Good work!

Comment

Ok, here's another question. I'm guessing I will get the supplies when I go to this class. Would I be better off getting a kit with the supplies all in it, or should I piece it together? Anything I should have that isn't included in a standard kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X