Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD's Title as Best Team in the Generally Weak Conference Secured

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
    While respectfully refraining from making controvertible assertions that the USD men are "better" than the SDSU men, particularly on hostile Internet soil, I do jump to the defense of the USD student athletes and fans who are accepting the transition for what it really is. Contending that the Great West is a "great" basketball conference is a losing battle, but it’s all we got (apparently the Big XII wasn’t interested in a transitional D-I school ). I’m happy for the players gutting it out through this process. I’m not about to suggest that they shouldn’t be proud of winning their conference, and I trust most posters on this forum would agree with that proposition.

We’re just a bunch of aging men with the continuous luxury of looking forward to next season. I’m as guilty as anyone of "looking ahead" to USD joining the Summit, but for now, I appreciate guys like Tyler Cain, Roman Gentry, and Steve Smith fighting for wins. I don’t think any of those guys would disagree with the idea that winning the Summit is a tougher feat than winning the Great West, but that opportunity is still on the horizon for USD. These players deserve to live in the now, and if they celebrate or are recognized for what they’ve accomplished within the inherent restraints of the transitional process, I see no problem.

That said, I’m not about to manipulate those achievements and use them in an attempt to antagonize posters of this forum. Suffice it to say I disagree with many of Coyote Fan’s tactics. I love smacking as much as the next guy, but given USD’s transition status, I’m not about to bring a knife to a gun fight. If USD and SDSU were to play in men’s basketball, no, I do not think the score would resemble a hoops clash between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Grant-Deul Wildcats 7th grade girl’s B team (missing its star player due to a Miley Cyrus concert in Minneapolis). Having watched both USD and SDSU play, I think it would be an entertaining game. Nothing more and nothing less. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I think my outlook fairly reflects the reasonable views of many USD fans. Sampling the USD message board, USD fan posts on this message board, and even the Argus Leader website does not necessarily provide a meaningful picture of what the “fan base” subscribes to. And we all know that. SDSU fans on this board are lucky to have a forum bringing together so many passionate, knowledgeable people. I can assure you that your counterparts do exist in Coyote land.

(Catching breath)

Shouldn’t you guys be talking pie by now?
    Oh pie, thats all some of us can think of and they seem to know so little about sex.

Seriously, I think USD's success rests on having two former D1 players, Gentry and Smith, plus an excellent player in Cain. Those three need to be replaced next season. SDSU came in the transistion with a bootle neck of seniors some were six year seniors, due to medical red shirts, and having them on the roster made SDSU a stronger D2 team, but it prevented SDSU from going out and recruiting players that might have D1 potential. Plus Moeller left for Mankato. I think he had talent and would have been a big help in the transition. The first d1 recruits had some talent, but for a number of reasons they left. So I am not making excuses, but so far USD transistion has went smoother because of having a few veterans from D2 staying and the D1 transfers. Going into Year three, if the success continues, then you got to give Dave Boots credit and no doubt USD will do real well in the Summit. The Summit is tougher than the 10 team NCC. Sometimes you play before good crowds sometimes not. But defense in the Summit beats that of the NCC. Setting up a half court offense in a patient and half asleep manner often results in a turnover and transition points for the opponent, so its head up basketball from start to finish.

One last thing, I think the USD fans should be gratiful that they have not had to call on Noah Shepard and Dan Skelly to complete their BB roster.

Comment

Wow, I'm out of town for a couple days and I missed this. Damn.

I feel like I got stuck in the bathroom for the last couple innings of Game 6 of the 86 World Series. Or something like that, anyways.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
        Wow, I'm out of town for a couple days and I missed this. Damn.

I feel like I got stuck in the bathroom for the last couple innings of Game 6 of the 86 World Series. Or something like that, anyways.
        Good analogy. Coyote Fan kinda saw this argument skip between his legs, too. Buckneresque.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Going into Year three, if the success continues, then you got to give Dave Boots credit and no doubt USD will do real well in the Summit.
          I give credit to Boots right now. The Coyotes are winning many of the games on their schedule. All they can do is win the games they play, and they are doing a decent job of that. The competition is a little light, but most of their schedule is DI teams, and we all know how scheduling games goes during the transition.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I give credit to Boots right now. The Coyotes are winning many of the games on their schedule. All they can do is win the games they play, and they are doing a decent job of that. The competition is a little light, but most of their schedule is DI teams, and we all know how scheduling games goes during the transition.
            It was not my intent to slight Boots for this year, he can coach pretty good and has been around a long time. His challenge will be next year and replacing Gentry, Smith and Cain and if he then wins 20, wow what more can I say.

Comment

Yotemeal - as much as I've enjoyed 'sparring' with you over the past few years, I appreciate your take and I honestly try to give the Yotes credit when credit is due. Boots has done a good job and they will be a good addition to the Summit.

I don't want to get into the playground antics - simply tell you I appreciate your candor and levelheadedness. Now there is no place for that in a smack thread.

Anybody hungry for some Coyote pie? LOL!

Comment

Filbert you really need to tread lightly on the way you moderate this board.

You can agree with as much of this or as little of this as you want to but by changing the title of this thread you are basically altering information that I wrote therefor misrepresenting me since you are in charge of this forum. For those that don't read page 8 or 9 of this thread are going to think that I wrote the title of this thread as it stands now which I absolutely did not. In a way this isn't much different than identity theft and I suggest that you change the title of the thread back to what it was in the first place. Basically you took your stature on this board and abused it by changing what was written by another poster. I realise full well that I am controversial but also honest and play by the rules, I suggest you do the same.

If you are going to do that what's to stop you from altering other content from what I have written in my postings.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

SDSUFans.com Forum Rules

Although the administrators and moderators of SDSUFans.com Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of SDSUFans.com Forum, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of SDSUFans.com Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it the responsibility of the author when the authors words are changed around by the moderator without prior consent. It certainly appears that Filbert has violated his own rules and possibly laws as well.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

The owners of SDSUFans.com Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

He changed the thread because it's his board, puppy fan... don't like it? Start your own damn board!
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

• Re: USD's Title as Best Team in the Generally Weak Conference Secured

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

He changed the thread because it's his board, puppy fan... don't like it? Start your own damn board!
                      He may reserve the right to edit the board but he does not have the right to change what I posted. He is responsible for my misrepresentation. By the way when people write their own books they can't tell lies about other people just because it's their book, it's illegal.
                      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                        when people write their own books they can't tell lies about other people just because it's their book
                        LOL

Comment

And now some giant photos of what conference champions look like when they're celebrating a championship.

And so on, and so forth.

That, Coyote_Fan, is what winning a conference championship looks like.

Comment

That is a conference tourney championship by the way. The conference champ is generally considered the regular season champion. Oral Roberts is the Summit League Conference Champions.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                              Oral Roberts is the Summit League Conference Champions.
                              Good grief. I called the wahmbulance half an hour ago and it still hasn't gotten there?

You need to stop eating them sour grapes.

So USD won the regular season title for the successor to the "United Basketball Scheduling Alliance"

Big deal.

Call me when that gets you anywhere. I can be reached at 1-800-WHO-CARES.

Comment

Do any of you feel even a bit guilty about the relative home court advantage that you got that basically propelled you to winning the tourney. I would be happy but I would also know at the same time that you probably were not the deserving team to go to the NCAA Tourney. Last year, yes. This year, no. I would feel bad as an Oral Roberts fan right now. They worked hard all year to get the #1 seed only to play a game against the #3 in a relative home game for the 3 seed. I personally hope that the tourney stay in Sioux Falls but the other side of me says that in the name of fairness it is not right to have the tourney be in the same place for a number of years regardless of team strength.

SDSU got to the tourney by being virtually at home. Anyone with any common sense knows that Oral Roberts is the true conference champions. Have you ever noticed that the only time SDSU teams ever seem to do anything is when they get some sort of home court advantage. The football team had an unbalaced schedule when they won the Great West. The SDSU womens basketball team needed home court to win their tourney. They almost certainly would not have won it on a true neutral court or at Oral Roberts. When is the last time your mens basketball team or football team has done anything of substance on the road. Always relying on the big home court advantage, never able to do it on even ground.
                                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                                X