Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD's Title as Best Team in the Dakotas Secured

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    Just belittle it all you want but in year 2 USD has a much greater accomplishment under their belts than SDSU has even been within distance of sniffing in mens basketball. Sure it's the Great West and sure it's not the best conference out there but the excuse was always "lets see what happens when USD plays actual D 1 games" Well here we are D1 games it is (which is actually less of a big deal to me than it was to most Jacks fans when USD was still in D2) and D1 games were won.

I am just holding the particular SDSU fans (and you know who you are whether you admit it or not) to their end of the bargain that claimed USD would fail miserably in D1. Let the truth be told USD is succeeding pretty well if I must say myself.

Did SDSU celebrate when they won the Great West Alliance in football when there were only 5 teams. I believe that would be affirmative. Is there any type of acknowledgement of that either at Coughlin Alumni or Frost?

Going back along ways it's my opinion that a conference is not a true conference until it gets to 6 teams. I think SDSU should have been proud of winning their championship eventhough they had 3 home games and only 1 roadie. Why would you not want to celebrate those accomplishments.

USD cut down the nets and that is exactly what they should have done. If USD gets rings for the team that is a great idea. If they hang a banner that is a great idea. They will only be in that conference for 2 years so it's a commodity to them to get one of the titles. I would have been much more disappointed if USD hadn't recognized the accomplishment. I am sure if the Jacks were in a similar postion and won a conference I am sure there wouldn't be many Jacks fans booing at Frost Arena that they cut down the nets. I am sure everyone would be extatic.

SDSU has done some good things in football and womens basketball and those accomplishment should be celebrated. USD has their first really nice accomplishment in the transition for a major sports team. It should be celebrated.
    Are you serious Clark?

Just kidding. Congratulations on your Great West Conference Championship. See you in two years.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Re: USD's Title as Best Team in the Generally Weak Conference Secured

I apologize in neglecting moderation duties in not enforcing the not very tight rule about the title of a thread accurately reflecting the content within.

So, with that: Thread title changed.

(Yeah, I know doing moderator stuff in a smacky manner is kinda cheating. What can I say? I couldn't help it. I'm a very, very bad person.)
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I apologize in neglecting moderation duties in not enforcing the not very tight rule about the title of a thread accurately reflecting the content within.

So, with that: Thread title changed.

(Yeah, I know doing moderator stuff in a smacky manner is kinda cheating. What can I say? I couldn't help it. I'm a very, very bad person.)
        As bad as you may be Filbert, you still have the 2nd best RPI in the Great West Conference. Congratulations.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I guess the whole four people over at Yotieland are upset that they didn't get enough coverage by the media (aka Argus Leader) on their conference championship. Instead the were upset over the coverage the Summit tournament was recieving. I guess winning the Great West outweighs covering the Summit League tournament. Clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
            I guess the whole four people over at Yotieland are upset that they didn't get enough coverage by the media (aka Argus Leader) on their conference championship. In stead the were upset over the coverage the Summit tournament was recieving.
            I find it amusing to see how different fan bases see media coverage of their schools. There are many on here that are critical of Stu's coverage of SDSU, although he has a very good article today.

I especially enjoy the theory that it is all apart of a pro-SDSU and anti-USD push at the AL.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              As bad as you may be Filbert, you still have the 2nd best RPI in the Great West Conference. Congratulations.
              Yeah, but the only people in the world stupid enough to actually think the wildly simple-minded RPI means something are the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I guess the whole four people over at Yotieland are upset that they didn't get enough coverage by the media (aka Argus Leader) on their conference championship. Instead the were upset over the coverage the Summit tournament was recieving. I guess winning the Great West outweighs covering the Summit League tournament. Clueless.
                They'll be the same people in a couple of years, complaining that the Argus is giving TOO LITTLE coverage to THEIR mediocrity in the Summit tournament and TOO MUCH coverage to Dakota Weslyan or Mount Marty winning their conference.

Comment

Does anybody know what channel the Great West tournament championship is on? I wonder what seed the tournament champion will get in the NCAA tournament. The second place team should also make noise in the NIT...
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Does anybody know what channel the Great West tournament championship is on? I wonder what seed the tournament champion will get in the NCAA tournament. The second place team should also make noise in the NIT...
                    The Great (loosely speaking) West Conference tournament champ gets the auto bid to the NIT. Unfortunatly it is the No Interesting Teams Invitational. It is actually held in Grand Forks.

Comment

The Great (loosely speaking) West Conference tournament champ gets the auto bid to the NIT. Unfortunatly it is the No Interesting Teams Invitational. It is actually held in Grand Forks.
                      First round is in Bismark.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed it was a first round bid. I heard that Vermillion said that their HS gym could host. After all, they play DI basketball there.

Comment

Are you kidding me?

That's a step up, big time.

Last year's first round game was held at the Murdo senior citizen's center.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Are you kidding me?

That's a step up, big time.

Last year's first round game was held at the Murdo senior citizen's center.
                            I think that Murdo turned it down this year. Something about VFW bingo being a better revenue stream.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed it was a first round bid. I heard that Vermillion said that their HS gym could host. After all, they play DI basketball there.
                              They are saving that for the championship round. Why waste a venue like that for the first round?

Comment

While respectfully refraining from making controvertible assertions that the USD men are "better" than the SDSU men, particularly on hostile Internet soil, I do jump to the defense of the USD student athletes and fans who are accepting the transition for what it really is. Contending that the Great West is a "great" basketball conference is a losing battle, but it’s all we got (apparently the Big XII wasn’t interested in a transitional D-I school ). I’m happy for the players gutting it out through this process. I’m not about to suggest that they shouldn’t be proud of winning their conference, and I trust most posters on this forum would agree with that proposition.

We’re just a bunch of aging men with the continuous luxury of looking forward to next season. I’m as guilty as anyone of "looking ahead" to USD joining the Summit, but for now, I appreciate guys like Tyler Cain, Roman Gentry, and Steve Smith fighting for wins. I don’t think any of those guys would disagree with the idea that winning the Summit is a tougher feat than winning the Great West, but that opportunity is still on the horizon for USD. These players deserve to live in the now, and if they celebrate or are recognized for what they’ve accomplished within the inherent restraints of the transitional process, I see no problem.

That said, I’m not about to manipulate those achievements and use them in an attempt to antagonize posters of this forum. Suffice it to say I disagree with many of Coyote Fan’s tactics. I love smacking as much as the next guy, but given USD’s transition status, I’m not about to bring a knife to a gun fight. If USD and SDSU were to play in men’s basketball, no, I do not think the score would resemble a hoops clash between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Grant-Deul Wildcats 7th grade girl’s B team (missing its star player due to a Miley Cyrus concert in Minneapolis). Having watched both USD and SDSU play, I think it would be an entertaining game. Nothing more and nothing less. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I think my outlook fairly reflects the reasonable views of many USD fans. Sampling the USD message board, USD fan posts on this message board, and even the Argus Leader website does not necessarily provide a meaningful picture of what the “fan base” subscribes to. And we all know that. SDSU fans on this board are lucky to have a forum bringing together so many passionate, knowledgeable people. I can assure you that your counterparts do exist in Coyote land.

(Catching breath)

Shouldn’t you guys be talking pie by now?
                                University of South Dakota:
                                Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Working...
                                X