SDSU Steals USD Verbal Sherlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Steals USD Verbal Sherlock

I really don't see this as a problem. He never had an official visit to SDSU. SDSU offered one to him and he took it. Coach Stig let it up to the the guy and didn't pressure him. He offered him another choice he didn't have before. Sherlock decided that SDSU would be better for him than USD. Do you have a right to grumble about it? Absolutely. You lost one of your recruits to an in-state rival. It doesn't make it immoral or wrong. This kind of stuff happens all the time, even outside of football.

I could see you having a case if he committed to USD after he had visits to USD and SDSU then SDSU comes and and does some more persuading and possibly offering more playing time, or along those lines. Then you could make your point that we "stole" him.

For the record, yeah I would be upset if USD came in and did the same thing. I don't think I would take it to the same level as you have, CF. I would like to believe I would see it as him changing his mind after seeing what USD had to offer and deciding he fit in better at there.

Since I have posted no smack in a smack thread, I shall end with this. Get a better football team and this wouldn't happen.

Comment

Lets all hope that when USD-SDSU resumes, that Sherlock dominates the game.

Although it pains me to agree with Stu, he has very valid points about the headstart that SDSU has and the standing that they have given themselves in recruits' minds.

"USD football - Making SDSU's facilities look good since 1979"
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Is anyone else not surprised that Sherlock changed his mind about attending USD after he saw SDSU's campus? That's like giving someone an option of receiving a Swatch or a Rolex; What do you think they are going to choose? I think a better recruiting strategy for Ed would be to send his recruits on campus visits to SDSU and hope some kids assumes USD's campus is even comparable.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Re: SDSU Steals USD Verbal Shelock

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Maybe this is a big misunderstanding and USD got a verbal from "Shelock" and the Jacks signed "Sherlock." Just a thought.....

CF is right. Some Jacks fans would be ticked royally, but if I recall correctly when Nebraska swooped down literally at the 11th hour on us folks on this board also argued that this is the way kids decide sometimes, and you gotta let them make their own decisions.
          If a school couldn't spell my name right, I'd think twice about going there . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wouldn't immoral be more along the lines of using strippers, drugs, alcohol, etc. to get him to switch. Giving a kid an option is far from immoral.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

How long till ol'Ed talks himself out of usd all together? I for one would grow tired of hearing his endless drivel. The more he talks, the better we SDSU looks.

Comment

So now he is whining about Stig and he called Bohl a bully a month or two ago, I guess that is what happens when you have the worst class among the Dakota FCS schools.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  So now he is whining about Stig and he called Bohl a bully a month or two ago, I guess that is what happens when you have the worst class among the Dakota FCS schools.
                  Always something to whine about, it's never his fault.

Comment

Not sure if this is along the same lines as Matt Holt and the SDSU v Nebraska saga, but sounds similar, and if I recall Pelini was lambasted on here for that move. Just saying.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by catchemall View Post
                      not sure if this is along the same lines as matt holt and the sdsu v nebraska saga, but sounds similar, and if i recall pelini was lambasted on here for that move. Just saying.
                      heresy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                        Not sure if this is along the same lines as Matt Holt and the SDSU v Nebraska saga, but sounds similar, and if I recall Pelini was lambasted on here for that move. Just saying.
                        The main differences would have been timing of the change of mind and the fact he verballed to SDSU well ahead of the signing day. You can decide if those difference have any merit when defending opinions about Pelini as it pertains to Matt Holt. I think they do.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Big difference between the two considering the Holt deal happened the night before signing day. Add to the fact that Coach Buback talked to him the morning of and he didn't say anything about changing his mind. His letter simply never came through the fax machine. In a way, it was almost a waste of a scholarship because of the timing. Did it make lots of people mad? Of course it did. But the kid wanted to play for the Huskers all along and when he finally got the chance, he took it. Turns out he's a stud and played almost every game as a true freshman. Would have been a heck of a player for the jacks but he never gave up on his dream of playing football for the Huskers (just another reason to hate Nebraska for me). Can't really fault the kid for something like that.

Comment

I was never mad about the Pelini "night before" call for the simple reason that he was just hired by Nebraska and he had a late start on recruiting (and by the way, I am not even close to a Nebraska fan). If Pelini was making it an annual event of calling SDSU recruits the night before signing day, I may have some beef with him, but under the circumstances that he was in, I don't fault him.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                              The biggest difference was that Pellini didn't make the call to deny Holt a blue shirt earlier in the process; Callahan or one of his assistants did.

From that standpoint, I can understand Pellini contacting Holt and talking to him about Nebraska. In fact, if Holt had decommitted and accepted a blue shirt at Nebraska a few weeks ahead of signing day, I think we'd all be more comfortable with Pellini's actions.

But calling a kid at 10:30 the night before National Signing Day? That's a bit low-rent. Heck. That's the reason why coaches can't be on site when kids sign.

And regardless of how little time he'd had on the job, he'd had enough time to where he could be calling those kids earlier than 10:30 at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                                I wasn't gonna post this but just couldn't resist, like usual. Lets not beat around the bush with this. The Jacks stepped in and stole one of the USD verbals. There is no grey area in a black and white issue. It will be interesting to see what SDSU fans think of this. I am sure there will be plenty of reasons for them to do nothing but rationalize this as an honorable move. Of course the bu**sh*t will be spewing from the glass houses but I can assure you that if USD stole one of SDSU's verbals there would be a 20 page rant on this message board and everything that USD has done in the past 10 years would be scrutinized and USD would be called nothing but "cheap", " "second class", whatever you wanna call it. I bet now that the shoe is on the Jackrabbit foot everything is "all good".

Meirkort was talking about this on the radio yesterday (or something to it's effect) and said that it was immoral for a program to convince a verbal to change their mind. He said that at USD they don't recruit that way. Way to go Ed, way to go.

Which program plays with honor and integrity and which one doesn't? You the reader decide.

Who cares. He'll have a better opportunity to win at SDSU.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X