Minor Meltdown in the South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minor Meltdown in the South

Dumping Meierkort during the transition wouldn't make much sense. He seems like a pretty good coach. The Coyotes just don't have a lot of talent on the playing field. Which I guess is a coaching issue too. Regardless, the transition should be a grace period for head coaches.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Yes, the Great West Conference title should count. The Jacks are going for their second conference championship in three years. If and when the Coyotes win a Great West Conference title (which is highly unlikely for the next couple of seasons, at least) it will count, and the Coyotes will be entitled to take pride in it.
      It should and it would. But you have to understand that the Yotes will likely go 0-4 in the Great West this year so CF needs to go back to saying it isn't a real conference to make himself feel better.

As for the meltdown, I think USD has some real problems. No money, very little fan support, and a coach who talks but doesn't produce. They also have a facility problem. That dome is a joke. You can say what you want about CAS but have a recruit show up with 13K-15K raucus fans in the stands and the aptmosphere has the kid hooked. Bring the same kid to the D Dome in front of a quiet 8K and that kid is looking elsewhere.

Comment

Don't look now (or do... it's like a big red train wreck) but a USD player, who happens to be the son of the head coach has posted on their fan board, defending his dad and calling the fans on the board "back stabbers".

http://coyotesports.proboards.com/in...76&page=1#5332

Wow. I can understand his frustration, but it's not a great idea to get into it with fans, even online.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Before I have looked, and no matter what he said, this is not good.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I took a peek. Assuming that is the son of the coach, I agree with 1stRowFANatic: that's not a good situation.

I hope for USD's sake (fans and team), everyone keeps a little perspective. The criticism comes from primarily one very negative poster. A couple other posters seem to support the one who professes to be a loyal fan but takes every opportunity to rip the program etc.

Most sports fans have no idea there are fan message boards. Many fans who know the boards exist, spend no time looking at them. How relevant are they? Not very. For those who enjoy reading them and posting on them, they're good entertainment and often can be a source of information (the reliability of which has to be carefully considered).

I'm staying off that USD board!

Comment

I guess I am one of those who loves misery as I check the USD Board nearly daily. I dont always post, more often I don't. I noticed a couple of things today under USD Football. There must have been six thread that had new posts. Generally there are no more than one and sometimes two thread that receive a daily post. Compared to this board, it is pretty quiet or shall we say dead.

The total board membership is up to 280, and it seems it was no long ago, that it was less than 200. They got a core of people who have a geniune interest in USD athletics.

So what am I trying to say here? I think a sleeping giant has woke up today and maybe that makes for a revival of support and new support financially and in attendance for USD sports. Good or bad, what looks black today can turn grey or even white the next day.

One fan quoted a clip from Sioux Sports from a RD17, who gave a very eleguent post about SDSU and our progress through the transition period. I have no idea who RD17 is but he did his homework on SDSU and posted a very interesting post. He was trying to calm his fellow Sioux fans after the loss to USF. Apparently he has taken some time to follow what has gone on at SDSU in the past few years and I found no factual errors in this post. In fact it was a memory refresher.

Here is the link to the SiouxSports inc and the post by RD17 and cited on the USD board:,

Its post no 10 so you have to do some scrolling

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showtopic=13010
              Last edited by Nidaros; 11-02-2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I just posted in your football section cngratulating you, your staff, and certainly your team on a great win Saturday at Youngstown. Now finish it, and win the MVC. What I posted I meant, and have from the beginning. I am surprised at the quality of your season but man enough to admit I was wrong. I am one USD fan wanting you to win it all.

But in this thread, I wouldn't be the empassioned USD fan I am if I didn't stand up and defend what some of your posters on here have said about USD. To those of you that posted ignorant comments about USD I hope you said it to just be cool amongst those Coyote bashers, I understand, but still think they are ignorant posts.

Then there are some of you on here that do go to USD's site and post, and have been very good at helping USD fans understand what the transition process is all about. Nidaros, Jackphd, JackJd and the rest of you that have been positive on our board, thanks.

In closing, it is safe to say you are ahead of USD as you should be. But if the impassioned fans (such as myself) have anything to do with it, we intend to close the gap. But for now, let me just congratulate you again for a job well done. Hell, I might even buy a blue sweatshirt and come watch you play in the playoffs. You are deserving of the state of South Dakotas support.

YFE

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Don't look now (or do... it's like a big red train wreck) but a USD player, who happens to be the son of the head coach has posted on their fan board, defending his dad and calling the fans on the board "back stabbers".

http://coyotesports.proboards.com/in...76&page=1#5332

Wow. I can understand his frustration, but it's not a great idea to get into it with fans, even online.
                  Not wise, but is evidence he is as fully empassioned as his dad. Young people make mistakes and learn, reid will do the same.

Comment

I'm not so willing to start giving USD a pass on this deal. Nice comments from yoteforever aside, I'm a firm believer in that you reap what you sow. I'll never forgive the countless USD folks that did everything they could to stop our move to DI. I don't need to remind everyone how ugly that was. Plus when USD made the decision to move to DI I don't think they were honest with the public...how much money they had, how much money they could raise, ticket sales, etc. I think they get what they deserve. It's unfortunate that their student athletes and coaches have to take the brunt of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                      I'm not so willing to start giving USD a pass on this deal. Nice comments from yoteforever aside, I'm a firm believer in that you reap what you sow. I'll never forgive the countless USD folks that did everything they could to stop our move to DI. I don't need to remind everyone how ugly that was. Plus when USD made the decision to move to DI I don't think they were honest with the public...how much money they had, how much money they could raise, ticket sales, etc. I think they get what they deserve. It's unfortunate that their student athletes and coaches have to take the brunt of it.
                      I can't disagree, but its their ship to right and how they do it well who knows. Seems like they still occasionally need SDSU as reference point. Last week when they had the ceremony for the new wellness center, there was a comment, I believe by Abbott, that when they were planning the repelling wall, they wanted to know how high it was at SDSU and they would up it two feet. Thats kind of a rough paraphrase and not a direct quote, but I think most will get the point.

When SDSU plans project do we worry about what USD has, or do we worry about what is best for SDSU? I think USD has finally started to sail their own ship and may God's speed go with them.

I do not see a head coaching change happening at USD either. I thinks its about resources and Ed has probably done the best with what he has. Also I wonder if Wes Beeshoner, the great QB might have taken a job he was not totally ready for.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I can't disagree, but its their ship to right and how they do it well who knows. Seems like they still occasionally need SDSU as reference point. Last week when they had the ceremony for the new wellness center, there was a comment, I believe by Abbott, that when they were planning the repelling wall, they wanted to know how high it was at SDSU and they would up it two feet. Thats kind of a rough paraphrase and not a direct quote, but I think most will get the point.

When SDSU plans project do we worry about what USD has, or do we worry about what is best for SDSU? I think USD has finally started to sail their own ship and may God's speed go with them.

I do not see a head coaching change happening at USD either. I thinks its about resources and Ed has probably done the best with what he has. Also I wonder if Wes Beeshoner, the great QB might have taken a job he was not totally ready for.
                        That's what I don't think some USD fans get when they complain about coaching. USD is really understaffed as Meierkort is handling both head coach and defensive coordinator positions and they have an offensive coordinator with no prior coaching experience. The fact they are playing Montana State and UC Davis so close with this situation should be a positive for the fan base, not a detriment. I think they have the talent to compete, they just need the extra resources to put it to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                          the countless USD folks that did everything they could to stop our move to DI
                          In all fairness, plenty of SDSU fans tried to stop the move to D-1 too.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            In all fairness, plenty of SDSU fans tried to stop the move to D-1 too.
                            Including some legislators that are alums!!!

Comment

USD should start its rebuilding by not being so obsessed with SDSU. USD's No. 1 concern seems to playing the Jacks again and speculating in other ways about how it measures up to SDSU. Being the focus of such attention is flattering to SDSU. But get over it, Coyotes. Spend your energy on improving your situation.
                              PS -- I suspect we'll hear fewer demands for a SDSU-USD football game for awhile, given the deteriorating status of the Coyote football program.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                                Including some legislators that are alums!!!
                                One of them was in the Hobo Day Parade this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X