Fighting Suzie's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fighting Suzie's

I have a UND hockey road jersey that simply has "NORTH DAKOTA" on it, from back in the mid 90s..... Anyone know what the story was on that one?

---

Also, the NCAA okayed "Illini" on three grounds:

1) it's close to the name of the state

2) the only Illini tribe left, the Peoria, are in Oklahoma and do not use the name 'Illini' or any related word in their tribal name. Thus 'Illini' does not refer directly to any existing tribe.

3) Illinois dropped the Chief Illiniwek mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I have a UND hockey road jersey that simply has "NORTH DAKOTA" on it, from back in the mid 90s..... Anyone know what the story was on that one?
      Not sure on that one since I only started following Gopher hockey and college hockey in general in the last seven-years or so. But if I run across anything I'll let you know.
      "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalHouse83 View Post
        Not sure on that one since I only started following Gopher hockey and college hockey in general in the last seven-years or so. But if I run across anything I'll let you know.
        My thinking is that it was a one-two year deal between when they dropped the green tinted Chicago Blackhawks logo and when they picked up the "Calumet Baking Powder" logo

Of course, old Ralphie didn't like the baking powder logo, and demanded that they bring back the Blackhawks logo that they used when he was a goalie there.

I'm half surprised he didn't demand a time machine as well.

What ended up happening was they hired a UND alum (who was native, but not Lakota) to freshen up the old Blackhawks logo:

And UND's president at the time declared himself a victor over Ralph Engelstad.... Because, you see, this new logo has realistic feathers on it....

Comment

This is from the most recent story I could find in a Google search regarding Minnesota's policy. Please note this is dated November 1, 2007. And that the policy discourages, but apparently does not prohibit, the Gopher teams from playing teams with American Indian mascots.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...1/01/nickname/

UND and Illinois are conference opponents, so it would be hard for Minnesota to drop those games unless it forfeits or withdraws from the WCHA or Big Ten. I'm sure exceptions are made for tournaments scheduled by the conference such as the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

FWIW: when the Gophers play UND in hockey, the logo used on the scoreboard is the "UND" logo with the flame within the D, not the athletic team logo.
          The timing of the updated release is about right because they played Central Michigan on Nov 24, 2007 and FSU Nov 27, 2007.

Comment

Actually, several changes over the past couple of years are pointing toward the name change... resurfaced B-Ball courts say North Dakota vs Sioux.. football practice field with interlocking ND.. new football jersy with North Dakota across the front. I believe that the hockey team had North Dakota on the road jersy for a year or two several years ago.. I think just before the geometric logo or as zoo calls the "Calumet logo".

Comment

Originally posted by SDSF View Post
              Actually, several changes over the past couple of years are pointing toward the name change... resurfaced B-Ball courts say North Dakota vs Sioux.. football practice field with interlocking ND.. new football jersy with North Dakota across the front. I believe that the hockey team had North Dakota on the road jersy for a year or two several years ago.. I think just before the geometric logo or as zoo calls the "Calumet logo".
              I found a home jersey with just "NORTH DAKOTA" on it while I was searching for the UND variant of the Blackhawks logo. My recollection is that the red war paint was green--or that the red feather was a different color..... there was some difference, but I can't remember what it was.

Comment

Nickname approved 2:1 by Spirit Lake tribe in today's referendum.

http://areavoices.com/gfhcitybeat

Comment

Followup from the StarTribune. The Standing Rock Tribe must also vote on the issue.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/43...?elr=KArksUUUU
                  "You trusted us"

Comment

Followup from the StarTribune. The Standing Rock Tribe must also vote on the issue.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/43...?elr=KArksUUUU
                    I'm pretty sure(95%) the title to that article is wrong. From what I've read, Tuesday's vote had no binding power and was basically an "official" opinion poll. The results don't force the tribal council to change their stance, and I'm pretty sure the NCAA would require some kind of official statement from the elected tribal government. The results of the vote will put some pressure on the tribal council members, but the nickname debate isn't a big hot-button issue among most tribal members. By that, I mean most tribal members won't base their vote on a candidate's position on the nickname issue.

Comment

I do not know where you can relaible numbers of the total eligible votes on Spirit Lake Reservation, but surely there are more than 1200. I am surprised by results, but what is the voter turnout 10%?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I do not know where you can relaible numbers of the total eligible votes on Spirit Lake Reservation, but surely there are more than 1200. I am surprised by results, but what is the voter turnout 10%?
                        According to the BIA, there were about 5,000 enrolled members in 1998. According to the 2000 census, about 4,400 were living on the reservation. Figuring 75% of the enrolled members are of voting age(that's a complete guess), and that the size of the tribe hasn't changed that much in ten years, there should be around 3,800 eligible voters for a voter turnout of about 30%. There's a lot of guesses in there, so take it with a big grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                          From what I've read, Tuesday's vote had no binding power and was basically an "official" opinion poll.
                          I thought that interpretation was, uh, open to interpretation. That the tribal charter was a little vague in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            I thought that interpretation was, uh, open to interpretation. That the tribal charter was a little vague in that area.
                            Okay, I did a little more reading and I'm going to back away from part of what I wrote just a little bit. I think you could safely argue that the vote does mean that SL officially supports the nickname for now. Prior to the vote, the tribal council signed a resolution supporting the referendum. I've gotta assume that means they proactively decided to align their policy with whatever the results of the vote would be. However, it is true that the vote is not a binding one, and the council has the final say. If UND does try to keep the name, I'm certain they'll want a council resolution that reinforces Tuesday's vote.

Comment

The North Dakota Board of Higher Education unanimously voted today to dump the UND nickname/logo if the university couldn't secure a 30 year agreement with the states two tribes by October 1.

Comment

Looks like the Summt League adding USD made them work a little faster in Grand Forks. I wonder how long it will be until UND is in the Summit.
                                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X