Fighting Suzie's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Suzie's

In Sid's article today he talks about how the Gophers won't play UND because of the name issue according to Joel Maturi, Minnesota's AD. Not anything new, but it just shows how important it is for them to change the name.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...tml?page=3&c=y
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: Fighting Suzie's

It's always seemed a little odd to me that Minnesota will take that position but continue to play UND in hockey.

It continues to amaze me that UND hasn't announced it will be changing its name -- even if they don't know what to change it to.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      It's always seemed a little odd to me that Minnesota will take that position but continue to play UND in hockey.

It continues to amaze me that UND hasn't announced it will be changing its name -- even if they don't know what to change it to.
      They have to keep playing UND because they're both in the WCHA. Unless the conference gives UND the boot, Minnesota doesn't have any options here.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is a feature story in today's Grand Forks Herald. A election on Spirit River Reservation near Devils Lake, is to take place I believe this coming week. Its getting very ugly.

You may have to sign up to get in.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/115426

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          They have to keep playing UND because they're both in the WCHA. Unless the conference gives UND the boot, Minnesota doesn't have any options here.
          Booting UND out of the WCHA would likely be the quickest way to force a name change in Grand Forks since hockey is #1 there.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            In Sid's article today he talks about how the Gophers won't play UND because of the name issue according to Joel Maturi, Minnesota's AD. Not anything new, but it just shows how important it is for them to change the name.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...tml?page=3&c=y
            I wish U of Min would be more consistent with the scheduling practices. Every year they play several schools in numerous sports with Native American names. All of the schools are in good standing with NCAA (including UND). U of M has singled out UND. I really enjoyed watching Joel Maturi greet his boys when he walked off the ice this year in Grand Forks.

I believe that UND has moved on in reference to U of M. They are scheduling teams in the South and West at this point.

I read earlier this year.. that the head of WCHA get numerous ie hundreds of emails weekly from specific anti-UND groups. This group has been targeting UND for years. They almost got Dartmouth to cancel a series a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSF View Post
              I wish U of Min would be more consistent with the scheduling practices. Every year they play several schools in numerous sports with Native American names. All of the schools are in good standing with NCAA (including UND). U of M has singled out UND. I really enjoyed watching Joel Maturi greet his boys when he walked off the ice this year in Grand Forks.

I believe that UND has moved on in reference to U of M. They are scheduling teams in the South and West at this point.

I read earlier this year.. that the head of WCHA get numerous ie hundreds of emails weekly from specific anti-UND groups. This group has been targeting UND for years. They almost got Dartmouth to cancel a series a couple of years ago.
              Other than conference mates, which ones have they scheduled since they said they would not do that anymore. My understanding was the commitment was not to schedule anymore, but they weren't going to break any existing contracts.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to put WCHA in before conference, figured I would put this as an edit so you would know why I changed it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I'm confused about this. Minnesota hasn't played a team outside of the Big 10 or the WCHA that has a Native American nickname. How are the singling out UND?

Also, how has UND moved on in reference to Minnesota? They are required to play each other every year in hockey so how have they moved on?

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  I'm confused about this. Minnesota hasn't played a team outside of the Big 10 or the WCHA that has a Native American nickname. How are the singling out UND?

Also, how has UND moved on in reference to Minnesota? They are required to play each other every year in hockey so how have they moved on?

Yes, they play in WCHA.. but I was referring to other sports in particular football. UND has gone South and West for FBS games - Texas Tech and Fresno State

Comment

Yes, they play in WCHA.. but I was referring to other sports in particular football. UND has gone South and West for FBS games - Texas Tech and Fresno State
                    You also said U of MN was applying the standard inconsistently. How is that? I ask because I do not know, I do not mean to imply that you are wrong, just looking for info and too lazy to look it up.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      You also said U of MN was applying the standard inconsistently. How is that? I ask because I do not know, I do not mean to imply that you are wrong, just looking for info and too lazy to look it up.
                      I believe that U of M stated that they would only play UND in hockey in the fall of 2006 due to its Native American/Logo/Nickname policy. I believe that U of Iowa and U of Wisconsin made similar statements during that timeframe. After the NCAA and UND announced the settlement, the U of Iowa and U of Wisconsin have reversed the statement in regards to scheduling. The U of Min has continued with its policy of only scheduling UND for hockey. I only looked at the B-Ball schedule for this year and last.. it looks like they played Central Michigan and Florida State (ACC/Big Ten Challenge) last year. If U of M really wanted to make a statement they should have raised concerns about playing FSU in Florida or Central Michigan in basketball. I have not looked at other schedules.

Comment

Well, from what you posted, they were consistent with UND. The Florida State is the result of conference agreement, and almost positive their option on that one is to leave the Big 10 and FSU has been given permission from the Seminole tribe to use the name. Central Michigan sounds like you may be right, but then if the game was agreed to before they made the decision, they haven't changed anything. Oh, and for full disclosure, I have no idea what Central Michigan's mascot is.

Comment

Central Michigan's nickname is the Chippewas

http://www.cmich.edu/Athletics.htm
                          "You trusted us"

Comment

I think if the NCAA oks UND's nickname then they will be in the clear with Minnesota, I know both CMU and FSU have NCAA approval since they have worked things out with the tribes.

Comment

This is from the most recent story I could find in a Google search regarding Minnesota's policy. Please note this is dated November 1, 2007. And that the policy discourages, but apparently does not prohibit, the Gopher teams from playing teams with American Indian mascots.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...1/01/nickname/

UND and Illinois are conference opponents, so it would be hard for Minnesota to drop those games unless it forfeits or withdraws from the WCHA or Big Ten. I'm sure exceptions are made for tournaments scheduled by the conference such as the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

FWIW: when the Gophers play UND in hockey, the logo used on the scoreboard is the "UND" logo with the flame within the D, not the athletic team logo.
                              "You trusted us"

Comment

Working...
                              X