Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Really I would have never known they were 14th in the nation with all the Bison highlights.
    You mean highlight, not highlights, right? Without Woodside's shot the Bison win barely gets mentioned.

Once Woodside's shot went down, the clock officially started ticking...

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Ah, next year...
      Another stellar 7 win football season, constant SportCenter coverage for the women's bball team and a possibility for the men's team to win a road game would combine for complete pandemonium across Bunny Nation!

Comment

That's ok because the girls still won't get attention... oh well maybe next year guys! Bison fever has now taken over the nation.
        I trust that you, unlike the boors that manhandled Woodside last night, would take achievement over attention any day................

From that standpoint, you can probably understand where the SDSU women are coming from.......

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
          Another stellar 7 win football season
          Where did the Jacks finish up in the Valley again?

Oh, snap, that's right, ahead of the Bison.

Comment

Really I would have never known they were 14th in the nation with all the Bison highlights.
            And therein lies my amusement with this situation:

The Jacks are, basically -expected- to be in the Sweet 16--they will in all likelihood be the higher seed in the first game they play. The Bison are given an outside shot at a first round upset.

Yet, because the Bison are getting publicity, for some Bison fans, it's as though the tables were turned.

Enjoy the publicity, Bison fans, while it lasts, because it's not permanent. Come next season, those headlines will be a thing of the past, whether NDSU makes it or not (and they probably won't--Oakland is returning a lot more talent than they are), and the SDSU women will still be chugging along.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Where did the Jacks finish up in the Valley again?

Oh, snap, that's right, ahead of the Bison.
              I think they ended up celebrating mediocrity again.

And therein lies my amusement with this situation:

The Jacks are, basically -expected- to be in the Sweet 16--they will in all likelihood be the higher seed in the first game they play. The Bison are given an outside shot at a first round upset.

Yet, because the Bison are getting publicity, for some Bison fans, it's as though the tables were turned.

Enjoy the publicity, Bison fans, while it lasts, because it's not permanent. Come next season, those headlines will be a thing of the past, whether NDSU makes it or not (and they probably won't--Oakland is returning a lot more talent than they are), and the SDSU women will still be chugging along.
              I'd rather see our men's bball team make the Big Dance and lose in the first round than see our women's bball team win the national championship. And it's not even close. Would the majority of NDSU and SDSU fans feel the same way? I know what I think the answer is.

Comment

Is there an echo in here?
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                  Would the majority of NDSU and SDSU fans feel the same way? I know what I think the answer is.
                  That is an interesting question.............

BTW: Consider this----

Do you remember hearing anything on ESPN about Oral Roberts making the tournament last year?

Exactly.

E-x-a-c-t-l-y.

Exaaaaaaaaaaactly.

If, and it is a HUGE if, NDSU wins the Summit again next year (their only shot at getting in the NCAAs), it's no story whatsoever. It's no more story than Oral Roberts getting in two consecutive years.

NDSU becomes just another AQ from just another middling mid-major. NDSU was a big fish in D-2. NDSU will never be a big fish in D-1.

Comment

Do you remember hearing anything on ESPN about Oral Roberts making the tournament last year?

Exactly.

E-x-a-c-t-l-y.

Exaaaaaaaaaaactly.

If, and it is a HUGE if, NDSU wins the Summit again next year (their only shot at getting in the NCAAs), it's no story whatsoever. It's no more story than Oral Roberts getting in two consecutive years.

NDSU becomes just another AQ from just another middling mid-major. NDSU was a big fish in D-2. NDSU will never be a big fish in D-1.
                    Zooropa, don't you remember everyone across the country waiting anxiously for the brackets to come out so they could excitedly predict ORU as a winner of the first round game last year?

Exactly.

E-x-a-c-t-l-y.

Exaaaaaaaaaaactly.

Comment

Exactly.

E-x-a-c-t-l-y.

Exaaaaaaaaaaactly.

I had at least heard of Oral Roberts, and anyone who has filled out a bracket probably has as well.

Can the average sports fan name more than 2 teams that made the women's tournament last year? The average sports fan probably only knows that UCONN or Tennesse always win the women's championship and I'd guess that those are the only 2 teams most could name with a great deal of certainty in last year's women's college bball tournament.

Not to sound like too much of a homer, but an NDSU upset isn't entirely out of the question. It IS March Madness and upsets happen EVERY year!

Comment

Personally, I think NDSU has a good chance at picking up a win in the tourney, and I'll be rooting for them to do so. It's a great accomplishment. This thread started with some good-natured ribbing and quickly (as soon as NDSUstudent and HandoEX got going) turned into full-on smack.

A little advice about smack: It's useful to bring your sense of humor along in the smack threads. We both have teams in the tournament and I suspect the vast majority of fans from both schools will be rooting for the other. I certainly don't think it does anybody any good to run down women's athletics to build up your own team, even in a smack thread.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Can the average sports fan name more than 2 teams that made the women's tournament last year? The average sports fan probably only knows that UCONN or Tennesse always win the women's championship and I'd guess that those are the only 2 teams most could name with a great deal of certainty in last year's women's college bball tournament.
                          And how does that factor?

How many average fans can name ANY FCS school besides Appalachian State, and THAT because of a single game going on two years ago?

I mean if you're going to play the 'average fan' metric, then play the 'average fan' metric fairly.

No 'average fan' cares about FCS football..... so, does it follow that you'd rather see the Bison get bounced in the first round of the NCAAs than win the FCS championship?

Comment

Besides----if we're talking 'awareness'

Over two million people saw an SDSU player in a front page lead in USA Today.

Comment

To get the replays and highlights on espn you almost have to be watching a womens game and catch halftime like they were doing last night during UConn and Loisville. Unless you are Maryland, Tenn, UConn, Okla, Duke, you aren't going to see much womens sports on Sportscenter.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                Personally, I think NDSU has a good chance at picking up a win in the tourney, and I'll be rooting for them to do so. It's a great accomplishment. This thread started with some good-natured ribbing and quickly (as soon as NDSUstudent and HandoEX got going) turned into full-on smack.

A little advice about smack: It's useful to bring your sense of humor along in the smack threads. We both have teams in the tournament and I suspect the vast majority of fans from both schools will be rooting for the other. I certainly don't think it does anybody any good to run down women's athletics to build up your own team, even in a smack thread.
                                Guess you didnt see this... http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=8076 I am not running down anyone. I am sorry you did not bring your sense of humor reading my posts. Getting into the tourney is huge I am just saying the women have a harder time getting attention during March Maddness. It is very funny that when I reply it instantly becomes a full-on-smack-off.

Comment

Working...
                                X