Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great West Indoor Track Championships

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
    But since this is the smack section, let it be known that the Yotes look forward to winning this tournament a few years down the road, so grab your glory while you still can South Dakota wears red!
    I hope the U. does win the "Independent Baseball Tournament" as well. Good luck with that!

Comment

Re: USD at it again

I thought this was the first D-1 Conference Championship decided on South Dakota soil.

Go Jacks!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
        I thought this was the first D-1 Conference Championship decided on South Dakota soil.

Go Jacks!!!
        How quickly they all forget. Great West Champions 2007. Was that before the track meet this week?

GBGBGJ

Comment

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Distinct entities: USD’s sports marketing/PR department and the independent media. The former is in the business of spin and positive light. The latter is supposed to be in the business of objectively reporting facts. An independent baseball tournament or a conference track championship – which constitutes the first “Division I championships” this state has ever hosted?
          I agree with you to an extent, and it is why I only sent emails pointing out the correction to the local media. However, the independent scheduling alliance baseball tournament or independent scheduling alliance now called a conference track championships are on the same level. If I'm not mistaken, some of those schools down in Vermillion were represented in Sioux Falls a couple of years ago. I think they would probably say that winning the baseball tournament counted.

While I do put all most all of the blame on the media (for criminy sakes Argus Leader and Sioux Falls tv stations, it occurred in your own town and every one of you had someone covering it), there is a difference between spinning and factual errors. Not matter how much spin you want to put on 2+2, it still equals 4. You can call '4' an 'x', but to mix metaphors here, it still smells as sweet. The media also should have told them if you are going to buy any adds with that in the message, you will force us to include the statement about the baseball tournament as being the first D-1 tournament. If each story would have added that one line, this mis-information would have disappeared from the USD press releases as continuing it would have made them look foolish.

Well, I guess they would have kept in.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            I agree with you to an extent, and it is why I only sent emails pointing out the correction to the local media. However, the independent scheduling alliance baseball tournament or independent scheduling alliance now called a conference track championships are on the same level. If I'm not mistaken, some of those schools down in Vermillion were represented in Sioux Falls a couple of years ago. I think they would probably say that winning the baseball tournament counted.

While I do put all most all of the blame on the media (for criminy sakes Argus Leader and Sioux Falls tv stations, it occurred in your own town and every one of you had someone covering it), there is a difference between spinning and factual errors. Not matter how much spin you want to put on 2+2, it still equals 4. You can call '4' an 'x', but to mix metaphors here, it still smells as sweet. The media also should have told them if you are going to buy any adds with that in the message, you will force us to include the statement about the baseball tournament as being the first D-1 tournament. If each story would have added that one line, this mis-information would have disappeared from the USD press releases as continuing it would have made them look foolish.

Well, I guess they would have kept in.
            I don't think the Great West is recognized by the NCAA is a conference. But hey, we claim it for football, they can claim it for T&F. Who cares? Congrats to USD on winning the meet.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I'm going to study/compare the Summit League times & distances to the Great West times & distances. It's instructive to compare winning efforts and the fifth place efforts. It's close to an apples-to-apples comparison but not perfect because track conditions etc have an effect (the Dakota Dome is a superior indoor facility which would lend itself to faster times and better efforts in field events, compared to the facility where the Summit League Indoor Championships were held -- incidently, I've been to both facilities). So, when I say it's "close" to an apples-to-apples comparison, it's like comparing apple varieties (a Winesap to a Heralson).

Anyway, congrats to Dave Gottsleben's (SDSU '75) Coyotes. I suspect the USD men and women would be top three in the Summit League track and field...they wouldn't beat NDSU but during Dave's tenure, they had beaten NDSU in the old NCC days.

I was just a little irritated about the spin put on the meet by USD's media people. Spin like that would cause me, as a journalist, to question every press release I received from USD. It certainly makes me a skeptical reader (example: I never believe USD game- or event- attendance figures).

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post

There has been other events broadcast nationaly from South Dakota. The one I know of without researching was a bullriding championship during the State Fair in Huron...

Comment

Take it a little easy on the Yoties. Their basketball teams just got swept by Seattle, a fellow first-year transition team, and the big thrill on their basketball horizon now is a trip to Grand Forks. No baseball season to look forward to either. It's got to be tough being a distant No. 2 and always trying to catch up to the Jacks.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

I was in Cozumel last week. I saw 3 guys wearing Jackrabbit gear, no Udot stuff to be seen. Headed back up I-29 looking forward to the "Watch out for Jackrabbits" billboard. Interestingly, there is now a "South Dakota wears red" billboard as well. Again, following in our foot steps.

Words and a philosophy that we must adhere to, the "rivalry" may be revisited but it will be done only on our terms. When we made the decision to go DI it was the worst possible thing. SDSU abandoned the NCC and DII to chase a dream that SDSU would never realize. Now, Udot is trying to spin a pseudo-conference track and field meet as a landmark time in their journey to DI glory. Give me a break. Cozy up to the coyotes and you'll get burned.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Doc, you better start aggressively lobbying the powers that be, because many signs seem to indicate “Udot” is likely to join the Summit. While that obviously does not impact all sports, for those that it does, namely basketball, that “our terms” posturing of yours won’t mean much. Sure, like everything else, we’ll be following you into the league. But soon enough, you’ll be following us in the standings. South Dakota Does Wear Red. In fact, I converted a real live jackrabbit just the other day driving down Highway 34.
                      University of South Dakota:
                      Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Doc, you better start aggressively lobbying the powers that be, because many signs seem to indicate “Udot” is likely to join the Summit. While that obviously does not impact all sports, for those that it does, namely basketball, that “our terms” posturing of yours won’t mean much. Sure, like everything else, we’ll be following you into the league. But soon enough, you’ll be following us in the standings. South Dakota Does Wear Red. In fact, I converted a real live jackrabbit just the other day driving down Highway 34.
                        Excellent points. Appreciate the bravado as well, you must be a true coyote.

If and when the conference schedules a game between the two it should be looked at as just that, another conference game. We all realize that when the NCC existed the other SD schools always looked at the SDSU game as "the rivalry game", I doubt that will change at the DI level. Again, just another conference game for SDSU.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This post is just another fine example of a perfectly normal Coyote fan spending too much time inside the World's Largest Septic Tank down the in V-town. There just isn't any possible way to think rationally after taking in that many toxic fumes.

South Dakota Wears Red??? Really???

1. Go to a retailer in Sioux Falls and compare how much merchandise is available for the two schools. Still wearing red?

2. Look at attendance figures from last year. Again, not close. A whole lot more blue out there.

3. Take a look at what is happening. Jackrabbit stuff is everywhere! Maybe not in Vermillion but anywhere else in the state the blue is far more prevalent.

4. What color is the State Flag? Oops, blue again!

I know it is hard for you to accept but there is nothing wrong with being seconf fiddle to SDSU. There is some really great stuff going on up here. Athletics is just a small piece of the pie. Embrace your place! USD will always be our little sister. It's okay.

Enjoy your transition. Keep drinking the red Kool Aid!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                            I don't think the Great West is recognized by the NCAA is a conference. But hey, we claim it for football, they can claim it for T&F. Who cares? Congrats to USD on winning the meet.
                            I agree with you. I didn't include football because there isn't a post-season tournament for deciding the champion. I was always told that a conference is an association of athletic teams which is what the old scheduling alliance was, and that was what I was referring to as a conference.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

1. Go to a retailer in Sioux Falls and compare how much merchandise is available for the two schools. Still wearing red?
                              You're right SB. I go to Scheels and all I see is SDSU stuff. On the racks everywhere. I'll admit, you're completely right about that.

They can't convince ANYONE to buy that stuff, huh?

Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                                You're right SB. I go to Scheels and all I see is SDSU stuff. On the racks everywhere. I'll admit, you're completely right about that.

They can't convince ANYONE to buy that stuff, huh?

Ooh that was pretty good RO. But I have a small rebuttal. The last time I was in SD, I saw a shirt I liked so I asked the gentleman where he got it. He told me Scheels. But then he thought it was another store in the mall. He couldn't remember. So I went to the first store and couldn't find the shirt. In fact the store in the mall had NO Jackrabbit gear. I asked a clerk, "How is it that you have Augie, USF and USD crap but no SDSU gear?" He responded, "We do have it, but it sells so fast we can't keep it in stock!" This gave me a warm feeling in my stomach.

Next I ventured to Scheels where there is much SDSU clothing and accessories to be had. Again, I couldn't find the shirt. No big deal. I asked the clerk there, "Which gear do you sell the most of?" She responded, "SDSU stuff hands down. The other stuff barely sells." Again the warm feeling.

So if you made it this far in my long winded story, it reveals the truth that South Dakota does in fact not wear red, or any shade of it, but Yellow and Blue as it always has. USD may have red uniforms, but they are the only ones wearing that color.

EDIT: Also, Estelline Redmen fans wear red. So I guess my high school alma mater wears it as well, but there aren't that many people in Estelline so....
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X