Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys and Gals on the Shot Clock

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    Sioux Valley did a good job of slowing it down but wow did both teams struggle from the floor. Neither team could hit a shot to save their lives. I'm not sure how many layups Knolly missed but it was at least 4. Chad missed several from the free throw line as well.
    I wasn't at the game but would be interested to know if a shot clock would have been a factor if it was used in this game.

GO JACKS
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Re: 2008-09 Recruits

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
    I wasn't at the game but would be interested to know if a shot clock would have been a factor if it was used in this game.

GO JACKS
    Oh yeah, Sioux Valley held the ball for the final 1:34 of the first quarter and the final minute or so of the second. Madison did the same thing in the fourth, nursing like a 4 point lead they held the ball for probably a minute or so right across the half court line.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
      Oh yeah, Sioux Valley held the ball for the final 1:34 of the first quarter and the final minute or so of the second. Madison did the same thing in the fourth, nursing like a 4 point lead they held the ball for probably a minute or so right across the half court line.
      That's terrible. There needs to be some sort of shot clock or some other rule to prevent this. I bet the fans thought it was exciting watching the teams stall at the end of every quarter.

Comment

I was recently at a AA girls game which was close coming down to the final minutes. The defense basically backed off and allowed the offense to waste clock knowing that they could only waste about 30 seconds without taking a shot. This allowed the defense to set up and wait. The offense had to attack a well prepared defense and fouling at the end became a non-factor prior to the closing minute. It was much more fun to watch than an attempt at a prolonged stall by the offense and attempts by the defense to hack the least skilled free throw shooter.

In retrospect, I think it would have been wiser for the leading team on offense to attack the basket more rapidly because the defense just used to stall time to set up and wait to attack the offense as the shot clock was winding down. I will be very surprised if the shot clock does not become a standard in all classes of high school basketball. Perhaps not next season because no school board is going to be flush with money and may vote against it, but when things get better, most will be in favor.

The shot clock encourages more skills, both offensively and defensively.
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I HATE, HATE, HATE a shot clock. Any level, I don't care you can say all you want about promoting both sides of skills, I hate it. And I am not a Dean Smith 4-corners fan; I am fan of the U of Maryland, so that 4 corners cost us plenty of times. I still hate a shot clock and will until I die.

That being said, I realize in this respect I am the buggy whip salesman in 1940.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            I HATE, HATE, HATE a shot clock. Any level, I don't care you can say all you want about promoting both sides of skills, I hate it. And I am not a Dean Smith 4-corners fan; I am fan of the U of Maryland, so that 4 corners cost us plenty of times. I still hate a shot clock and will until I die.

That being said, I realize in this respect I am the buggy whip salesman in 1940.
            Just wondering why you despise it so much???

Comment

If you can't get the ball, why should I have to give it to you. Makes no sense to me.

if it takes me 45 seconds of passing the ball to get a wide open shot, why should I have to force a shot at 34 seconds if I can keep passing the ball for the extra 11 seconds.

Dumb rule.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Guys and Gals on the Shot Clock

LOL, 1st Row, you are indeed a buggy-whip fanatic. I usually go to the games without a book to read while the team is standing around the floor for minutes at a time (or several minutes at a time). Guess that is why I very seldom go to high school games any more...prefer the shot-clock version of basketball.

And as long as colleges and universities have shot clocks, seems dumb to me that high schools don't. To each his own, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  LOL, 1st Row, you are indeed a buggy-whip fanatic. I usually go to the games without a book to read while the team is standing around the floor for minutes at a time (or several minutes at a time). Guess that is why I very seldom go to high school games any more...prefer the shot-clock version of basketball.

And as long as colleges and universities have shot clocks, seems dumb to me that high schools don't. To each his own, I guess...
                  The AA schools have a shot clock as of this year. 35 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    If you can't get the ball, why should I have to give it to you. Makes no sense to me.

if it takes me 45 seconds of passing the ball to get a wide open shot, why should I have to force a shot at 34 seconds if I can keep passing the ball for the extra 11 seconds.

Dumb rule.
                    Shot clock is the best addition to basketball since the peach crate. I read a post or an article one day commenting on the reasons for a shot clock. It went something like this? Two kids talking about going to the gym to shot around - not a single BB player talks about going to the gym and passing the ball back and forth. I also think the shot clock allows players to show his or her skills by requiring players to be more offensive minded which can also motivate defensive efforts.

The AA schools in SD now have the shot clock. The reason I hear for not having the shot clock elsewhere is cost. The cost of installation and the cost to pay a person to manage it.

Big game in Volga a couple of nights ago between two power house boys teams. Sioux Valley and Madison 30 - 29 was the score. Get real. Get me a shot clock.

GBGBGJ

Comment

joeboo22 ... were you ever a member of a fraternity at USD?

Comment

Dear Buggy-Whip Salesman from the 1940s.....

I like the shot clock. It does not appear to be an obvious factor in the games I've seen but, let's face it, it's mere presence IS a factor in how coaches are approaching game situations. And I prefer the game as its played with the shot clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                          joeboo22 ... were you ever a member of a fraternity at USD?
                          no, but my brother was there and I had about a dozen friends get busted at it....

I'm not picky about rules, and I don't have a problem with but when the thread becomes more about a topic other then that its suppose to be its gone a little to far off the rail...

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            first of all this is a recruits thread, not a SD shot clock thread.... Second of all, anybody who has watched AA basketball knows that the shot clock was needed, and anybody who has watched an A game knows that 95% of them are fine without a shot clock....
                            Joe, I think this is a little of both - thread drift and about recruiting. I used the Sioux Valley vs Madison 30 to 29 game as an example of why a shot clock is needed. Use your imagination - if you were a recruiter/coach traveling some distance and coming to watch Fiegen, White from Madison or Miller, Knolly from Sioux Valley play what did you see? White scored 1 point, Fiegen exploded for 10. Knolly had ZERO and Miller 6. Don't know if that type of game would spur my interest in watching them again or if I would continue my recriting interest? I realize there is more to recriting than one game. But, this type of game would not put these fine young men high on my list.

Bring on the shot clock.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Guys and Gals on the Shot Clock

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                              Shot clock is the best addition to basketball since the peach crate. I read a post or an article one day commenting on the reasons for a shot clock. It went something like this? Two kids talking about going to the gym to shot around - not a single BB player talks about going to the gym and passing the ball back and forth. I also think the shot clock allows players to show his or her skills by requiring players to be more offensive minded which can also motivate defensive efforts.

The AA schools in SD now have the shot clock. The reason I hear for not having the shot clock elsewhere is cost. The cost of installation and the cost to pay a person to manage it.

Big game in Volga a couple of nights ago between two power house boys teams. Sioux Valley and Madison 30 - 29 was the score. Get real. Get me a shot clock.

GBGBGJ
                              Agreed. When Dr. Naismith invented the game I believe the intent was to put the ball in the peach basket (or whatever it was), not pass the ball back and forth for minutes at a time.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                              X