Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Busy Day on USD Board

Originally posted by Chains View Post
    WOW! CF, maybe its the cold weather that has you so confused?

Lets start with all the accomplishments that USD has in football over SDSU. I must have missed the listing of the accomplishments? What were they? The most recent football archieves has SDSU holding a 25 to 18 advantage over the Yotes. UND and NDSU did have excellent programs for many years and clearly led the way for Dll football nationally. The Jacks have taken a little shine off that Bison football program as of late.

WBB has a 46 - 21 win / loss record over the Yotes which includes 22 wins in a row. The Lady Jacks won conference, regional championships and a national championship even after we sent (1) of the best ever to play womens BB in South Dakota (Mandy Koupal) to you. We still won. Did UND and NDSU have quality programs? Yes. The Jacks competed the Yotes did not. The road to a national championship certainly went through the ND schools.

MBB and again the archieves show that SDSU holds a 114 - 87 advantage over the Yotes. JackMD listed in a previous post just all the ACCOMPLISHMENTS that Jacks MBB had. Since the Jacks moved up to Dl the best men's basketball program in the state has been Northern University. Go Wolves.

Does UND have a highly regarded hockey program? Absolutely. But, outside of 5 or 6 states no one gives a *%$@ about hockey.

I'll wait for that list of football accomplisments.

GBGBGJ
    CF will argue that he is talking about accomplishments on the DII level nation wide, outside of the NCC and midwest. 20 plus years ago (maybe even before CF was born) Udot had a pretty good program for a few years. They made the playoffs in 85 and 86 losing to NDSU both years (semis 85 and NC in 86). In 85 they were #1 ranked when they came into Brookings and left with a loss. I don't know that they have any other playoff appearances.

More recently, they were lucky to have 4 wins in a whole year until, of course, UNC/NDSU/SDSU left the NCC. The last couple of years they returned to "prominence" (CF might say) and I think made the playoffs in a greatly depleted DII once, maybe twice.

A great stretch for CF to even try and compare their programs to ours but when the only option is fantasy you have to go with it. I'm just guessing here but I suspect CF has that fantasizing thing down pat.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
      The most recent football archieves has SDSU holding a 25 to 18 advantage over the Yotes.
      I hate to say this, but this must be in the last 30 years I am guessing, because the overall total has us behind. Now before you shout "traitor!" regarding that statement, we beat them like 13 out of 15 in the last years we played though. And I was born in 1983, so after that is what counts for me.

Disclaimer: Yes, I was a history major in undergrad and my professors wouldn't appreciate my interpretation above.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

USD has a good fan base ... just because they don't take time out of the middle of their work day to blog with the beat writer (who spends 85% of his job covering one school) or post thousands of time on a message board does not mean they are lacking fans. Most USD fans I know support their team but seem to find other things to fill their day besides blogging or posting about every single thing that goes on at the U.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
          USD has a good fan base ... just because they don't take time out of the middle of their work day to blog with the beat writer (who spends 85% of his job covering one school) or post thousands of time on a message board does not mean they are lacking fans. Most USD fans I know support their team but seem to find other things to fill their day besides blogging or posting about every single thing that goes on at the U.
          Really? The proof is in the numbers. We average more fans at football games than your Dome can hold when it's completely full (even if you add the usual fictional USD attendance quotient). Where are all these fans of which you speak? You'd think they'd be posting on a discussion board or something, since they're not going to USD athletic events, even with all the free tickets USD gives out.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think we've achieved a brand new meme:

USD fans are so good, they don't even have to be fans!

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              I think we've achieved a brand new meme:

USD fans are so good, they don't even have to be fans!

That fits absolutely perfectly.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                Is it not a FACT that the USD board could just as well be non-existent? What FACTS do you have to support the idea that the Coyotes have a "good fan base". I'd argue that our fan base needs to get a lot better and the FACT is that Udot's fan base is much smaller than the Jackrabbits.

Now, do Udot alums support their institution? I would say the answer to that is a definite yes. Fund raising has been excellent as it applies to the university as a whole. I don't think you can apply that to the athletic department individually, however. Coyote fans have an excellent opportunity to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                  Members of Coyotesports.com gather for their yearly membership meeting and retreat.
                  I thought it looked more like coach boots and his team.

Comment

"Poopybutt"

Think about that for a second. Can you imagine someone (an adult) constantly walking around, going to work, shopping, doing the normal every day things, with literally, a poopybutt?

Man it would really stink to hang around them, wouldn't it?
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                      "Poopybutt"

Think about that for a second. Can you imagine someone (an adult) constantly walking around, going to work, shopping, doing the normal every day things, with literally, a poopybutt?

Man it would really stink to hang around them, wouldn't it?
                      "Leakage."

Eww.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

SDSU's dominance in Mens Basketball over the past several years isn't nearly as much as most Jacks fans tend to believe, at least when comparing to USD. I would give SDSU the edge but only slightly since Boots took over the USD program in the late 80's.

The best way to compare the teams in my opinion is playoff appearances, elite 8 appearances, NCC titles and head to head record.

SDSU has more playoff appearances in the past 20 years so they get that one. Both schools have 5 conference titles in that span, so that is a tie. Both schools have 2 elite 8 appearances so that is a tie as well. SDSU has blown the regional on their home court (which is a bigtime home court advantage) two different times. Upset or not, the Jacks didn't come through twice. Neither team has made it past the first round of the elite 8 either. I am not sure of the exact head to head record between the two schools but since Boots took over USD has been in the lead in the head to head matchups for most of that time.

As a Jacks fan you would have to be really stretching to call SDSU dominant over USD in recent years. When it comes to prior to the Boots era SDSU had a big upper hand in history but as far as national titles it's 1-1.

In football SDSU has dominated in recent years but prior to that USD's accomplishments are better just as the Jacks are in basketball. USD has a national title game appearance and has made the playoffs a handfull or time to zero for SDSU at least in the past 40 years.

If you look at the entire athletic department SDSU has the advantage when you go through all the sports. The big 2 are fairly even when putting all things into discussion.

I also think that past history whether several years ago or just a few has limited significance when transferring to a new division. Things can change and change in a hurry especially considering that SDSU football and mens basketball have been opposites compared to D2 days. Womens basketball has remained strong.

It takes money, fan support, and just simply good guidence throughout the Athletic Department. You can't totally compare interest on the message boards to the actual support of a program. If that was the case SDSU would be averaging about 10,000 in football to USD's 500. It's less of a difference in actual numbers in the stands then by posts and views on fan boards. SDSU has a big advantage in undergrads over recent years. They simply have more of them. Undergrads are typically where the fan base is going to come from whether it be from current students or alumni. USD has far fewer undergrads but does have very good post under grad programs and schools. Med School, Business School, Law School etc. Those types of students are generally not going to be as open in their support other than maybe having an increased capacity to donate in the future.

SDSU certainly has more donors then USD but I wonder what the average donation is per doner. I would imagine USD's average is probably higher. They likely would not have had a record fund raising campaign if that wasn't true. Meaning to USD in general not only for athletics.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Thats why you keep coming over here to make your self heard. Keep trusting your A.C.M.E. Manufacturing technology and train of thought and you will continue loosing to the Roadrunner, in this case the RABBIT.
                          Last edited by Rabbitden; 12-21-2008, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                            SDSU has a big advantage in undergrads over recent years. They simply have more of them. Undergrads are typically where the fan base is going to come from whether it be from current students or alumni. USD has far fewer undergrads but does have very good post under grad programs and schools. Med School, Business School, Law School etc. Those types of students are generally not going to be as open in their support other than maybe having an increased capacity to donate in the future.
                            I'm guessing that a plurality of both your law and medical students are SDSU graduates. So you go ahead and hang your hat on that one.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

From discussions with fundraisers at both schools: Athletic giving is far more dependabt upon under-grad than post-grad attendance. In fact the USD individual stated this as one reason it will be harder for the U, State has a lot of engineering grads that start out with good salaries that will be hard for the U to match. These discussions took place when SDSU was beginning the transition, so time may have affected these comments.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Comment on message board comments:
                                When this thread started I went to their board to see what was going on. A comment said the topic had really "blown up." It was the fourth reply.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X