Augie Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie Basketball

I guess I missed that. That's what I get for not reading his posts.

As for Coyote Fan I am glad to see he is at least back. I was concerned he threw himself off of a cliff when he got lambasted over on AGS after the USD scheduling crisis and after he attempted to mock the very football conference his yotees need to stay alive in the transition.
    I guess the months of therapy since then haven't help him gain a better grasp on reality.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      That would be "USD poster." Singular.

Coyote_Fan has his own issues with tunnel vision and seeing the world through a vermillion-and-white lens. (Hence his screen name.) That he pretends to be objective is as unrealistic as is his insistence that SDSU fans on an SDSU board be objective. Objectivity is pretty much impossible one way or another if you've got ties to either institution. Everybody just needs to get used to it.

It is very obvious to me that C_F is as passionate about USD as we are about SDSU. I give him full credit for that, and for wanting to defend his institution. For the most part, he comports himself rather well (if a bit frustratingly from the SDSU point of view) as a guest here in our little online house--unlike a certain other USD fan who crossed the line of civility and is no longer welcome here.

Personally, in my more rational moments, I'd like to see the "hatin'" dialed back a bit. We don't really need to be the Sioux and the Bison, do we?

Now, in an undoubtedly futile attempt to take the thread back to it's purported topic:

Augie's having a pretty good year in men's hoops, aren't they?

If you knew me and how I post at any forum I definately do not have tunnell vision, it's actually quite the opposite. I am/was (still am very much) one of the biggest supporters of the D1 move. I take the approach of trying to tell it like it is and try my best to be objective. I would rather try to speak the truth and be a bit controversial than to stretch the truth or ignore the facts for the purpose of political correctness. I have called out many thing regarding USD and how they need to be better etc. I have taken heat and do still take heat from both USD fans and from opposition fans for my comments but I try to be as fair as I can in the process. I have already called out Boots to be canned and of course since he is so beloved in the USD community I naturally get chastized for it. I will not go into the reasons here because I have a big post on that at d2football.com. Do you think I honestly think USD is going to set the world on fire in D1, of course not but I am not just going to say it's going to be a complete failure either. I have high expectations of the USD programs and whether or not USD meets those I will not chance my expectations and I hope no other fans accept being less than USD can be.
      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        If you knew me and how I post at any forum I definately do not have tunnell vision, it's actually quite the opposite. I am/was (still am very much) one of the biggest supporters of the D1 move. I take the approach of trying to tell it like it is and try my best to be objective. I would rather try to speak the truth and be a bit controversial than to stretch the truth or ignore the facts for the purpose of political correctness. I have called out many thing regarding USD and how they need to be better etc. I have taken heat and do still take heat from both USD fans and from opposition fans for my comments but I try to be as fair as I can in the process. I have already called out Boots to be canned and of course since he is so beloved in the USD community I naturally get chastized for it. I will not go into the reasons here because I have a big post on that at d2football.com. Do you think I honestly think USD is going to set the world on fire in D1, of course not but I am not just going to say it's going to be a complete failure either. I have high expectations of the USD programs and whether or not USD meets those I will not chance my expectations and I hope no other fans accept being less than USD can be.
        Here's hoping that our two South Dakota schools have great success in this final year of the NCC. It was a great conference, that served SDSU well for 80 years, and I, for one, would hope that the SD contingent left closing it out have great success in the NCC tourney, and D-II playoffs.

They'll need it, as it is likely to be a long time til they experience it again.

Comment

That's true. Coyote_Fan is very critical (in a constructive way) of his Coyote teams. He hasn't called any of us names here. He's hard on our MBB team, but so are we a lot of the time. I often try to razz him when he comes around, but I'm glad when fans of any other schools come here and behave with civility. Smack is supposed to be edgy but good-natured.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

To keep the smack going...USD dropped to 25th in the most recent D-II coaches poll. Dropping 11 spots from the previous week after their 2nd loss of the year to Augie.

Weren't they #1 at one time?????

Rankings at: http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/division_ii1.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
              Here's my take on the whole SDSU/USD women's team...

I followed SDSU WBB closer than the men's team when I was in college. My last year at SDSU was 2003 when we won the NC and finished 32-3. After that I moved away from Brookings (to Vermillion and then to the Black Hills) and was not able to follow the girls as close as I had been (other than on the radio). I made it back to the NDSU game this year. My wife is also a huge WBB fan who lived with a few of the girls from the 2002 Elite 8 team and 2003 NC team. She played against many of those team members in HS and played on a summer ball team with them in HS. She also knows her bball. She was back for the NDSU game as well.

As good as that 2003 team was, she and I both believe this years squad is head and shoulders better. They have more talent, more depth, more height, more shooters, more defenders. The big girls are better, the gaurds are better and the forwards are better. On top of all that, the bench is deeper.

This years USD squad has only lost 1 game. That's an unbelievable feat. They may even win a NC this year (but I wouldn't bet on it). But I just don't believe they are as good a team or as talented of a team as SDSU. Not unless the top teams in D2 got a whole lot better in the last 5 years.

My point is, a team has to get better when they move up. SDSU is way better than we were 5 years ago. USD isn't there yet and I wouldn't count on them getting there. They start 4 seniors and a junior. Next year could be tough.
              Good post. I've heard a guys practice player say the same thing. He said "This years team (2006-2007--so the team from last year with Vogel) is way better than any other team we've faced." That's a direct quote.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                That's true. Coyote_Fan is very critical (in a constructive way) of his Coyote teams. He hasn't called any of us names here. He's hard on our MBB team, but so are we a lot of the time. I often try to razz him when he comes around, but I'm glad when fans of any other schools come here and behave with civility. Smack is supposed to be edgy but good-natured.
                I'm with JJ. CF is a huge yote fan, not sure if it was born and bred into him or if he was brainwashed somewhere along the way. Like most Udot fans he is a bit naive and a bit ignorant as it applies to the challenges that await at the DI level. Remember, their convinced that they were intending to make this move the whole time and that they are doing it while in a better position than us. Because we have had success measured in a variety of ways they assume the same awaits them but choose to believe that their current DII success will translate into even more success than ours. Very flawed logic.

Add in the elitist sense of thinking which is prevalent in the admin and alumni down there and you get a sense for why they are so hard to tolerate sometimes. The fact remains, we have lead the way, paved the way, and will continue to do so. USD would do well to follow our lead, their chances our slim without help from us. Lastly, success in the NCC when minus SDSU and NDSU must be taken in that light. Even more, mediocrity in the NCC as the USD men have experienced in FB and BB is even more telling.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hear hear. I hope that what disagreements we have can be the "friendly rivals arguing over a cold beer" type, instead of the really nasty vitriol that sports rivalries too often bring out in some folks who should know better (myself included).
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

and that get people booted!
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                      Here's my take on the whole SDSU/USD women's team...

I followed SDSU WBB closer than the men's team when I was in college. My last year at SDSU was 2003 when we won the NC and finished 32-3. After that I moved away from Brookings (to Vermillion and then to the Black Hills) and was not able to follow the girls as close as I had been (other than on the radio). I made it back to the NDSU game this year. My wife is also a huge WBB fan who lived with a few of the girls from the 2002 Elite 8 team and 2003 NC team. She played against many of those team members in HS and played on a summer ball team with them in HS. She also knows her bball. She was back for the NDSU game as well.

As good as that 2003 team was, she and I both believe this years squad is head and shoulders better. They have more talent, more depth, more height, more shooters, more defenders. The big girls are better, the gaurds are better and the forwards are better. On top of all that, the bench is deeper.

This years USD squad has only lost 1 game. That's an unbelievable feat. They may even win a NC this year (but I wouldn't bet on it). But I just don't believe they are as good a team or as talented of a team as SDSU. Not unless the top teams in D2 got a whole lot better in the last 5 years.

My point is, a team has to get better when they move up. SDSU is way better than we were 5 years ago. USD isn't there yet and I wouldn't count on them getting there. They start 4 seniors and a junior. Next year could be tough.
                      Good points. Last year when AJ was at Yankton Quarterback club, he was asked about the quality of players he has now compared to the NC team. He stated of the NC team, one would be starting and another getting significant playing time. He feels the team of the last few years is much better than the NC team.

Comment

Well USD just lost at home to a 2-10 (NCC) UND team tonight at the dome. Things were going very poorly leading up to this game and now this. Something is very wrong all the sudden with the USD program. They have gone from a very good D2 team to a very bad team with the same players in the span of a year. Maybe there is just something in the water in South Dakota. Augie and Northern are looked upon as the best programs in South Dakota right now whether it's true or not.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Well USD just lost at home to a 2-10 (NCC) UND team tonight at the dome. Things were going very poorly leading up to this game and now this. Something is very wrong all the sudden with the USD program. They have gone from a very good D2 team to a very bad team with the same players in the span of a year. Maybe there is just something in the water in South Dakota. Augie and Northern are looked upon as the best programs in South Dakota right now whether it's true or not.
                          In the words of that hot chick in the recent KFC ad (the second gal, the one with the dark hair): "I didn't see that coming."
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I noted that the dome was packed while watching the low lights. Packed with ugly red and white seats that is. There couldn't have been 1000 people there tonight. I suppose they couldn't give away a bunch of tickets because its a post-season game.

Seriously, that loss could cost USD a regional appearance. Not sure when the other conference tourneys. The RMAC usually sees several of their top seeds choke. If a 3 or 4 wins that tourney USD is probably outside looking in.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Seems USD's situation is becoming eerily similar to SDSU's last year of D-II.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                I noted that the dome was packed while watching the low lights. Packed with ugly red and white seats that is. There couldn't have been 1000 people there tonight. I suppose they couldn't give away a bunch of tickets because its a post-season game.

Seriously, that loss could cost USD a regional appearance. Not sure when the other conference tourneys. The RMAC usually sees several of their top seeds choke. If a 3 or 4 wins that tourney USD is probably outside looking in.

Nevermind, not worth it
                                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                                X