Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD on National TV

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
    USD just called "Dome Babies" by the color commentator.

OUCH!

And that comment is very fitting for this USD football team. Did you also check out the combined record of USD's opponents that they have lost to. Pretty salty if you ask me. I think it was in the neighborhood or 34-1.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader on-line:

"After a USD punt, the Mavericks again showed an ability to move the ball on the USD defense, advancing to the Coyote 8 before attempting -- and missing -- a 28-yard field goal attempt by Greg Zuerlein.

Shepard was 13-of-16 for 1756 yards in the first half to highlight the Coyote offense. McNeill had 101 yards rushing for the Mavericks."

Looks like Shepard had a pretty good game, 135.07 yards per completion. Looks like USD should have scored more than 14 points with those kind of stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        And that comment is very fitting for this USD football team. Did you also check out the combined record of USD's opponents that they have lost to. Pretty salty if you ask me. I think it was in the neighborhood or 34-1.
        Oh, the irony. The script, as USD fans like SD4Never (and to a lesser extent Coyote_Fan) envisioned it, was that USD would sweep through its last D2 season, win a national championship, and then emerge as an instantaneous national FCS power. Um... not so much.

Of course now the script will be rewritten a bit: Teams like Central Washington, West Texas A&M and UNO are actually BETTER than most FCS teams (heck, they'd be competitive in the SEC), and even though the Coyotes lost to McNeese, they moved the ball on the ground, so they're still poised to be an FCS power, even though they finished poorly in Division 2.

Here's the hard truth: If you're not much of a D2 team, you're going to have to struggle like everybody else when you move up to FCS. 63 is more than 36. Road games DO count. Every team in FCS has at least one player BETTER than Amos Allen. And the DakotaDump won't save you when you can only get 4 home games a year.

Deal with it.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SD4ever View Post
          Be sure to check out South Dakota's TEAM on TV tonight "Live" from Omaha! Watch as The Big Red Coyote Machine puts the first loss of the season on the Mavs and moves into a tie for first place in the NCC. The case will also made for them as a 'contender' for the National Championship in D2 which is something that the JackBunnys never were. Kind of a nice way to start the transition and way ahead of where the Brooksville Boys were.

You can check it out on either DirecTV or DishNetwork. Be sure to get on The Yote Train while you are at it. Oh I forgot, you don't know what satellite TV is.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
            Ouch! Rushing yards: uno 410 usd 98.

I thought the yote weakness was pass defense.
            And I thought their strength was their offensive line?
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I watched a lot of this game last night and I'm going to call this post, The Good...The Bad...The Ugly.

The Good:
              I was fairly impressed with how Noah Shepard passes the ball. Throws it tight and had a good frame for a Sophmore QB.

Nice to be able to see a SD team on National TV. Even though I have my reservations on SDSU home games being on LOCAL tv, the Dakota Marker game should be on FSN-North. No excuses in my book.

The big Maverick in the middle of UNO's field was cool.

UNO would go 2-9 with SDSU's schedule this year. I would call that pretty good for a d-2 team, but you're absolutely lying to yourself if you think they would stay within two touches of SDSU.

The Bad: There will be a lot more of these.

That was the WORST defensive football I have ever seen. The Jacks would score 70 plus points on that defense of USD.

I have seen High School football teams play with more pride than that. A Stig coached team would've never given in like USD did last night.

It was on National TV.

Noah Shepard and Amos Allen in the 2nd half. I'm pretty sure they wanted to go back to Vermillion instead of back out on the field.

I'm not really sure what "NCC football" used to be, since I really didn't get interested in area college sports until SDSU moved up to D-1, but I'm pretty sure what I saw last night wasn't representative of the old days.

What is Coach Mierkort's job anyway? Other than a few pats on the butt, I don't think he did a thing all night other than make the poor decision to wear "swooshie pants" on national TV. Reminded me of the Seinfeld epoisode where George wears the grey sweat pants the whole episode.

Dome Babies!!! I have to thank the announcers for this one, even though they were brutal.

10K fans for a nationally televised game on a Thursday night in a town of nearly 1 million and the visiting team's campus only being 2 hours away...WEAK.

The UGLY:

USD scores right before the half and the camera's pan to the five USD fans at the game, and some jackass with a USD sweatshirt is caught with both hands up in the air, with both middle fingers extended towards the other crowd. TYPICAL Bush-league USD fan behavior....U guys are SO screwed in this transition.

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by dozer1981 View Post
                This is one of the first times I have listened to Culhane and actually had him realize what a butt kicking they were getting and he admitted it. He said many times that they were overmatched and were just getting manhandled. Kind of nice hearing him eat crow for once.
                I, too, was wondering what Culhane was going to say about this. I'm glad that he admitted we were getting out butt kicked. I didn't think he would admit that either.

It was obvious who the better team was, they were the best team we played all year. With the limited amount of home games the next several years, USD could be in for a long transition period. They are simply unable to beat a good team on the road. In I-AA there will be no Augie's or Duluth's, everyone will be like a UNO, UND, or West Texas. We can't beat teams like that on the road now, so I don't expect any different when we move up. At least when we don't make the playoffs this year, nobody can feel like we got screwed. Playing good teams is not enough, you have to beat a few of them.

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post
                  I, too, was wondering what Culhane was going to say about this. I'm glad that he admitted we were getting out butt kicked. I didn't think he would admit that either.

It was obvious who the better team was, they were the best team we played all year. With the limited amount of home games the next several years, USD could be in for a long transition period. They are simply unable to beat a good team on the road. In I-AA there will be no Augie's or Duluth's, everyone will be like a UNO, UND, or West Texas. We can't beat teams like that on the road now, so I don't expect any different when we move up. At least when we don't make the playoffs this year, nobody can feel like we got screwed. Playing good teams is not enough, you have to beat a few of them.
                  nice post juice.

I usually don't get involved in the smack threads, but that was pretty solid. And I thought it should get some recognition.

Coach Mierkort has done a nice job with the USD program, but like you said, they have a ways to go, yet.

I think what you said, is what many posters here have been trying to say all along.

Now, I believe with the added scholarships, and with Mierkort's recent successes, USD will be able to gain some ground, and probably pretty quickly. It just won't happen overnight. (as some of the USD smack brethren believe.)

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Oh, the irony. The script, as USD fans like SD4Never (and to a lesser extent Coyote_Fan) envisioned it, was that USD would sweep through its last D2 season, win a national championship, and then emerge as an instantaneous national FCS power. Um... not so much.

Of course now the script will be rewritten a bit: Teams like Central Washington, West Texas A&M and UNO are actually BETTER than most FCS teams (heck, they'd be competitive in the SEC), and even though the Coyotes lost to McNeese, they moved the ball on the ground, so they're still poised to be an FCS power, even though they finished poorly in Division 2.

Here's the hard truth: If you're not much of a D2 team, you're going to have to struggle like everybody else when you move up to FCS. 63 is more than 36. Road games DO count. Every team in FCS has at least one player BETTER than Amos Allen. And the DakotaDump won't save you when you can only get 4 home games a year.

Deal with it.

And those 4 home games likely WON'T include any FCS teams (except other transitionals).

Better see if Central Ark., and Presbyterian would do a home n home. Drake too.

Comment

It was nice to see USD actually make the front page of the Argus since SDSU has pretty much been dominating that over the last couple years.

Good job 'Yotes!

Oh, by the way, I guess its staright back to mediocrity for the USD Football Team!

You are absolutely going to love transition!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

Well, that is exactly how it is. USD will assume its rightful place as THE HARVARD OF THE PRAIRIE, THE PREMIERE FCS PROGRAM, and THE DAKOTA DUMP will become a shrine for all FCS football to come and pay their respects. This , of course, will turn Vermillion into a major travel destination similar to Mount Rushmore and the badlands. This isn't just wishfull thinking on the part of the USD Administration, this is what USD is destined to be!

Shame on us for questioning any of it!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Ah, but it doesn't end there. Once USD moves to D-I, they will again re-write the script. They are still in the "D-I is only a label" and "D-II is actually better than D-I" mode. It's really strange, give that they are in their expolatory year. Presumably, once they are in transition, they will drop the "D-I is only a label" and "D-II is actually better than D-I" talking points. It would be really, really bizzare if they did not.

But the script will be re-written again, and they will pretend the old talking points ever existed. It's possible they will admit that the D-I transition is tougher than they had thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            It was nice to see USD actually make the front page of the Argus since SDSU has pretty much been dominating that over the last couple years.

Good job 'Yotes!

Oh, by the way, I guess its staright back to mediocrity for the USD Football Team!

You are absolutely going to love transition!

SUPERBUNNY

Kind of funny that a SDSU fan would say that. Like SDSU's history has been better than Mediocrity, how funny. USD is still ahead of where SDSU was when they left D2.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

But we're way ahead NOW at D-I than where you'll ever hope to be!

Have fun in Transition Hell!
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                                Kind of funny that a SDSU fan would say that. Like SDSU's history has been better than Mediocrity, how funny. USD is still ahead of where SDSU was when they left D2.
                                As long as you believe it, we're happy for you.

I'll have one of whatever Coyote_Fan is smoking!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Working...
                                X