Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USD, Do They Play a Tougher Schedule Than SDSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD, Do They Play a Tougher Schedule Than SDSU?

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    There's a legal saying that goes something like "don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument". I commend you on your mastery of that premise. One FACT* that needs to be considered when you start calling SDSU a mediocre program...we absolutely dominated USD and Augie in the last 20 years. Dominated.

Throw around all the "we beat so and so by 20 and they beat another team by 14 who was in the same conference as a team that lost by 2 to the team that beat you so we're better than you" logic all you want. It still doesn't get around the fact that about once every 10 years you actually beat us head-to-head. Along those same lines, we've been doing a pretty decent job so far of actually beating real D1 schools. Not DII schools who may have beaten a D1 school, but actual D1 schools. And, good schools. And, contrary to your argument, quite a few of those have been on the road.

Now, good for you for sticking up for your team and caring enough about the Yotes to actually come on this board just for the sake of stirring the pot, but just acknowledge you're stirring the pot and it will be much easier to have some fun with you.

*apologies to Jackmd for stealing his bit
    Facts are facts!! Do what you feel you need to do to rationalize but facts are facts. There, I have my bit back.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

That's a FACT, JACK!md

with apologies to Stripes.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

There's a legal saying that goes something like "don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument". I commend you on your mastery of that premise. One FACT* that needs to be considered when you start calling SDSU a mediocre program...we absolutely dominated USD and Augie in the last 20 years. Dominated.

Throw around all the "we beat so and so by 20 and they beat another team by 14 who was in the same conference as a team that lost by 2 to the team that beat you so we're better than you" logic all you want. It still doesn't get around the fact that about once every 10 years you actually beat us head-to-head. Along those same lines, we've been doing a pretty decent job so far of actually beating real D1 schools. Not DII schools who may have beaten a D1 school, but actual D1 schools. And, good schools. And, contrary to your argument, quite a few of those have been on the road.

Now, good for you for sticking up for your team and caring enough about the Yotes to actually come on this board just for the sake of stirring the pot, but just acknowledge you're stirring the pot and it will be much easier to have some fun with you.

*apologies to Jackmd for stealing his bit
        Stand up Comedians say "we don't steal, we borrow!"

In any case, because of your masterful argument, you earn rep points from yours truly. You can tell you DIDN'T go to USD Law School!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
          Stand up Comedians say "we don't steal, we borrow!"

In any case, because of your masterful argument, you earn rep points from yours truly. You can tell you DIDN'T go to USD Law School!
          Careful, you can get a great education at USD without being a yote fan. I know plenty of great lawyers and great doctors who went to USD and most are not fans of the yotes. I know some decent lawyers and decent doctors who went to USD and most are yote fans (tongue in cheek).
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

USD's schedule this year is about as tough as anyone in D2 if not the toughest. I am sure they play a tougher schedule than some D1 teams do. I have always believed that it is not the schedule that is played that makes a strong team it's how they play their schedule that is given to them that determined team strength. I am convinced by what I have seen that USD was better in both 2005 and 2006 than they are this year and both years they played a much weaker schedule, especially in 2005. There isn't much question that the 2005 team is better than this 2007 team even though the 07' team is more battle tested.

What I am getting at is that playing a tough schedule only goes so far. If a team loses all their tough games than what has a tough schedule played really accomplished. SDSU plays a tough schedule but they have lost most of those games. I think the only real quality win was against Cal-Poly. No quality road wins this year.

I still think that SDSU wins in Brookings and USD wins in Vermillion if the two teams played. Until USD loses at home they deserve the distinction of being the favorite if the game was played in Vermillion, and yes road games do count so please don't go there. USD doesn't just beat good teams at home, they crush them.
            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

You know, I'm a 49ers fan and they haven't won on the road this year. So with your logic, the yotes would be favored over the 49ers if it was played in Vermillion. The logic is flawed even though the yotes may actually have the better team. And you have no idea how painful it was to type that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Hmmm.....the Coyotes are 22-1 at the DakotaDump since the last time SDSU played there......pretty easy to have "DomeField" advantage when about 19 of those games have been against the likes of Quincy, UM-Crookston, Upper Iowa, Augustana, and St. Cloud.....

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                  USD's schedule this year is about as tough as anyone in D2 if not the toughest. I am sure they play a tougher schedule than some D1 teams do. I have always believed that it is not the schedule that is played that makes a strong team it's how they play their schedule that is given to them that determined team strength. I am convinced by what I have seen that USD was better in both 2005 and 2006 than they are this year and both years they played a much weaker schedule, especially in 2005. There isn't much question that the 2005 team is better than this 2007 team even though the 07' team is more battle tested.

What I am getting at is that playing a tough schedule only goes so far. If a team loses all their tough games than what has a tough schedule played really accomplished. SDSU plays a tough schedule but they have lost most of those games. I think the only real quality win was against Cal-Poly. No quality road wins this year.

I still think that SDSU wins in Brookings and USD wins in Vermillion if the two teams played. Until USD loses at home they deserve the distinction of being the favorite if the game was played in Vermillion, and yes road games do count so please don't go there. USD doesn't just beat good teams at home, they crush them.
                  ?????????? Is this a man or a child? Can't be a man. How do you purpose to support an argument like this? I'm dumbfounded. This kid can't actually believe what he posts on here.

Coyote_fan, if you really do believe this, please seek help now. Reality is harsh for U but fantasy is not what we are in to here.

Comment

I have to jump in on this one. You have lost your freaking mind. Or maybe you never had one. I don't know. Because to say that a team that plays a tougher schedule is NOT better off than a team that plays a weaker schedule is ridiculous. Thats just down right wrong. Any team that has ever existed is made BETTER BY COMPETITION. This is the way it is in absolutely every level of athletics, in every sport. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Careful, you can get a great education at USD without being a yote fan. I know plenty of great lawyers and great doctors who went to USD and most are not fans of the yotes. I know some decent lawyers and decent doctors who went to USD and most are yote fans (tongue in cheek).
                      Time to bring out and old one but good one: When I left SDSU (BS, '76) to go to USD for law school (JD, '79), the grade point went up at both places.

Comment

This is just bizarre. USD has played Winona State, St. Cloud State, and Western Washington at home this year. What GOOD teams have you played at home? It's a ridiculous argument, as usual, from Coyote_Fan.

Stop trying to erase the last four years from existence. You are desperate for USD to be on par with SDSU, but we are well ahead of you in the transition. We have conference homes for all of our sports. We offer more than 200 athletic scholarships, more than double what you offer. Our university has more students and teaches way, way more credit hours of classes (300,000+ to 170,000).

USD is a fine university with a good chance of becoming a very good D1 athletic program. But you're not there yet. You will be, but transition is tough. From the AD (who declared in the Volante this week that USD will be in the Summit in 2009) to the fans, USD doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on what the implications of transition really are. Next year you don't count in anything. For four years after that, you're in limbo. Nobody will know you from the University of San Diego. You have to earn your way in D1. SDSU has taken steps in that direction. You haven't even started to crawl. You will, but for now, you're D2, and that's a lesser division. Assuming that it will be an easy transition, and that, for example, your football program will instantly be competitive, just isn't realistic. You're heading for some heartbreak unless you touch base with reality.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have a feeling that if most USD fans feel like Coyote_fan (and God bless them if they do because even USD needs fans who truly believe in their program) they will be swallowing some really bitter pills come next season. Or should I say the first season when they schedule more than 2 D1 programs. Lets just say I think they may be headed down the Northern Colorado path. Rash decisions are rarely ones that pan out. When you are having a hard time even filling your schedule for the next season (and that includes games against teams from your own conference) than you may have made a rash decision. I guess time will tell.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I have a feeling that if most USD fans feel like Coyote_fan (and God bless them if they do because even USD needs fans who truly believe in their program) they will be swallowing some really bitter pills come next season. Or should I say the first season when they schedule more than 2 D1 programs. Lets just say I think they may be headed down the Northern Colorado path. Rash decisions are rarely ones that pan out. When you are having a hard time even filling your schedule for the next season (and that includes games against teams from your own conference) than you may have made a rash decision. I guess time will tell.
                            I hope they'll do better than UNC, and I think they will. But as you say, it'll be a tough transition. I see they have Missouri-Rolla on the schedule next year. Enjoy that, Coyote fans.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Northern Colorado just had a streak snapped. A 16-13 win over Mont. State, for there first win of the year. A quick count of their won/loss record around 16-26. 4 or 5 of those wins being against non D-I competition. Coyote fans better look to the not so rosy transitions of former NCC teams.

Comment

07 season USD home games
                                Winona State--(8-1) NSIC conference
                                St. Cloud State--4-5 (1-5) conference
                                Western Washington--2-6 (1-5) conference
                                Minnesota State--4-5 (2-4) conference
                                North Dakota--5-1 (7-1) conference havn't played USD yet
                                Combined record of 23-17 I wouldn't say that the home schedule was that tough

Away schedule
                                West Texas A&M-- 9-0
                                Minnesota Duluth-- 3-6
                                McNeese State (D-IFCS) 8-0
                                Central Washington-- 7-1
                                Augie--3-7
                                Nebraska Omaha-8-0
                                Combined record 38-14

Maybe the reason they loose away games is because they actually play teams on the road. and the reason they win home games is because the teams are not quite as good at home....

Comment

Working...
                                X