Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU v NDSU

Originally posted by twism
    Yeah I know it's a rebuilding year and all that. But isn't that some harsh comments from a coach?
    What might you say?  He is telling it like it is and when he recruits a kid they know what to expect.  If you don't perform at the level expected then you are going to hear about it.  Disappointing loss but not unexpected.  I hope we win at least one more game this year.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yeah I know it's a rebuilding year and all that. But isn't that some harsh comments from a coach?
      I don't understand what Nagy is supposed to say at this point in the year. The guards are what they are and that is a couple of walk-on players who were never intended to play the minutes or prominent role they were asked to play this year. You can't win at any level without great guard play. This is not junior high basketball where you sugar coat everything and simply say everyone played well. I do think Cadwell and Gilbert will bring excitement back to Frost next year. Both hail from good schools in the Twin Cities where we rarely have gotten players and are accustomed to playing against stiff competition. Hopefully they convince some of their peers in the Twin Cities to consider SDSU. We are still going to need more help than those two to turn the corner. My hope is we can find some talented,experienced players to join them.

Comment

News is that a new verbal has committed and this one is a special one. Another Guard that is 5-11 and can dunk. This boy can handle the rock in passing, dribbling, and shooting. If they dont redshirt him Caldwell and this new guy from Canada will be fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit4life
          News is that a new verbal has committed and this one is a special one.  Another Guard that is 5-11 and can dunk.  This boy can handle the rock in passing, dribbling, and shooting.  If they dont redshirt him Caldwell and this new guy from Canada will be fun to watch.
          Sound promising. You don't have a name do you?

Go State! ;D

Comment

Did a little search over on Rivals and Insiders for point guards in Canada who have not committed and came up with the following:
            Tyrone Mattison Toronto Eastern Commerce
            Ronnie Williams Toronto Eastern Commerce
            Kerchell Carter Toronto Father Henry Catholic

I don't know if it's any of the three but all have been recruited by DI programs.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit4life
              News is that a new verbal has committed and this one is a special one.  Another Guard that is 5-11 and can dunk.  This boy can handle the rock in passing, dribbling, and shooting.  If they dont redshirt him Caldwell and this new guy from Canada will be fun to watch.

Its not April 1st, but I'm a little suspicous.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

rabbit4life seems to have an inside line at SDSU. I dont want to be skeptical, but  I dont trust him anymore after being led down Primrose lane about Andy Moeller eligibilty. I do hope he know of what he speaks in this particular case.

NDSU does have one player from Canada. So apparently there is some talent to be found up their.  Seems like you hear all about is Canadian hockey and seldom about basketball.  That does not mean that there are no good basketball programs in Canada.

Comment

The eligibilty of a medical redshirt given in D 2 is lost when moving to D 1. This was given to me from a medical personal in the HPER. On the issue of the canadian, I met him while shooting hanging out with Caldwell in Frost arena, I was able to speak with him, and saw the kid dunk. I later heard that the kid has verbally committed. Now his name is either Cam or Com, last name was never given. Remember folks these are the things I am seeing and hearing from people within the HPER, if they dont come true then that is why its a rumor board, but I am trying to give the latest and reliable information within the program and not by looking on the internet.

Comment

Maybe we have the next Steve Nash who is from Canada coming to Brookings!

Comment

FWIW, I'm going to agree with you, instead of everyone else. I think if a kid isn't performing well, you take it up with him. I wonder how much some of these guys trust coach after they hear this? There have been a lot of great college basketball coaches thru the years that have had to deal with rebuilding, and the bad seasons coming with it, but I don't remember any of them harshing the kids they have, to the media, as bad as Nagy has lately.

Comment

I don't find Nagy's public frustration surprising. The joke has always been, even during winning streaks, that Nagy is never really happy with his team, or loose with his praise.

Anyone who has watched him coach, stomping on the floor and hollering at his players during quiet moment (or yanking them from the game about two seconds after they make a dumb play or take a bad shot) knows that his coaching philosophy is about consequences for not performing. It can't be a surprise to those players when he goes off on them during or after a game, in public or in private. The guy has won 80 percent of his games. They have to come in knowing that he expects great things from them.

Nagy is a teacher who is frustrated that his students aren't performing the way they should. As someone who spends every day surrounded by college students who can't seem to focus or pay attention to detail, I can understand his frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                          I don't find Nagy's public frustration surprising. The joke has always been, even during winning streaks, that Nagy is never really happy with his team, or loose with his praise.

Anyone who has watched him coach, stomping on the floor and hollering at his players during quiet moment (or yanking them from the game about two seconds after they make a dumb play or take a bad shot) knows that his coaching philosophy is about consequences for not performing.  It can't be a surprise to those players when he goes off on them during or after a game, in public or in private. The guy has won 80 percent of his games. They have to come in knowing that he expects great things from them.

Nagy is a teacher who is frustrated that his students aren't performing the way they should. As someone who spends every day surrounded by college students who can't seem to focus or pay attention to detail, I can understand his frustration.
                          OK rabbit has squarely hit the nail on the head. I think it also explains why I have dreamed of being a teacher and/or a coach,but I never obtained the motivation to move in that direction. I know I could handle the highs but never the lows. With Coach Nagy's father being a coach, its a family occupation that I dont think Coach will ever leave for some more less stressful job such as insurance or any other occupation for that matter. Coach Nagy will be back next year with new expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak

FWIW, I'm going to agree with you, instead of everyone else.  I think if a kid isn't performing well, you take it up with him.  I wonder how much some of these guys trust coach after they hear this?  There have been a lot of great college basketball coaches thru the years that have had to deal with rebuilding, and the bad seasons coming with it, but I don't remember any of them harshing the kids they have, to the media, as bad as Nagy has lately.    
                            DIffering opinions are good, but I'll continue to support Nagy here.  Until he demonstrates some character weakness or alternative motives I'll believe in his coaching philosophy.  It seems a previous coach may have lost his job because he didn't seem appropriately upset/concerned about lack of effort and performance by his players.

Comment

Holdren still has Mono along with an upper resp. infection....he won't sit! Not too sure that is smart!

Comment

I wouldn't say he still "has" mono. He may be suffering from some symptoms still related to the acute infection with the Ebstein Barr virus, but I doubt highly that any viral load is still present in his bloodstream. He should have planty of antibodies by now.

That said, you are correct that rest is best. However, he should continue to work out. I usually leave it up to the patient as to what level of activity they can tolerate.

Comment

Working...
                                X