This can't be fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This can't be fun

I spoke yesterday with the father of a Jacks baseball player whose son played against Notre Dame last week, Dad was pumped, his son was pumped. He talked about how exciting it was to play teams at that level. Even though his son is an upper classman, there was not a shred of dissappointment about not competing for a conference championship. Instead his son will remember that game for the rest of his life. Feel sorry for him?! Envy, pure envy.

True there are athletes who dont want the challenge. Thats ok. There are schools and teams for players that dont relish playing at the highest level. My daughter is such an athlete. She competes at a D2 school. They have won 2 NCC titles and are going for a third. She is happy at the level. On the other hand, we're they to tell her that next year they would be playing all D1, I dont think she would whine about it either. One of the great things athletics teaches kids is how to accept and deal with adversity. Im confident she would simply accept the challenge and do her best.

Finally, one last thought, I do find it interesting that coyote, maverick fans,(or whoever they are pretending to be) take the time to come on to a site for Jackrabbit sports. What could possibly motivate a person to do that? Do they think with their criticism that some how all of us will be convinced the D1 move was bad and things will change back to the way it was? Im sorry the thats never going to happen. To be honest, I think its about jealousy. Of course they will be responding very quickly that that isnt the case, but why else are you here then?

While I have relished competition against the U for decades as much as anyone. Those days are over. I now look at them as I have other programs in South Dakota. I hope they suceed! I have loved watching SFU with their sucess in football over the last few years. DWU womens basketball when they went to the nationals ect. I hope the U has great sucess in D2. Ideally, we get to the point, where a kid in South Dakota has the options they do in EVERY OTHER STATE IN THE UNION, to play in a top program at what ever
    level they want to compete in.

Bottomline, accept reality, chill out on the rhetoric and move forward in a positive direction for all our programs.

GO STATE, GO Yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD

Bottomline, accept reality, chill out on the rhetoric and move forward in a positive direction for all our programs.

GO STATE, GO Yotes.
      If they can reslove their jealousy issues, they can begin the road to this recognition.

Now, they (you know who you are) will attempt to disguise their jealousy in a shroud of fained concern for the current athletes who are so deprived and deceived by the powers that be at SDSU. Don't mistake that.

They'll also continue to wish ill-will towards those who have taken so much from them. I was back in SD last week and numerous times I heard USD alums complain about what SDSU and NDSU did to the NCC. Of course, their short-sightedness prevents them from seeing the benefits of a DI university in SD, but worse, the jealousy steming from their own longing about the loss of their biggest rivals and the schools that made the NCC what it is today was profound. Its pervasive and founded in the SE corner of the state, right down the street from Buff's house.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

For guys like the buff (USD ideals), he'd rather take the "low" road.  Never challenging himself, lowering expectations and requirements, seeing the world from a very small and isolated perspective.  I would expect nothing more from a person like this.  
        Geese JackMD, is that how you view yourself for competing in DII athletics. Did you lower your expectations and requirements by not attending a DI university. I don't think so, give yourself some credit. Right now winning DII titles seems to be a good challenge for the Yotes. If we were dominating every sport in DII then I would think it was time for a new challenge. I think it's good to meet the goals you have before setting new--higher goals. Maybe SDSU's goal was to be a pretty good DII school, in which case they achieved that. They certainly weren't a dominant school.

As far as being jealous, thats hardly the case. Every time you guys rip USD for something, is it out of jealousy? You have knocked USD about everything you could right down to their fundraising, is that all out of jealousy. Everytime somebody knocks SDSU your response is always because they are jealous.
        I will say I was jealous of your women's basketball team going to three straight Elite 8's. I wish that would have been us, that would have been great. However, so far you haven't done anything in DI to warrant me being jealous. Like I've said many times before though, if we check back in 10 years and your men's basketball team is in the Missouri Valley conference and going to the Sweet 16, well then I might be jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

Geese JackMD, is that how you view yourself for competing in DII athletics.  Did you lower your expectations and requirements by not attending a DI university.  I don't think so, give yourself some credit.  Right now winning DII titles seems to be a good challenge for the Yotes. If we were dominating every sport in DII then I would think it was time for a new challenge.  I think it's good to meet the goals you have before setting new--higher goals.  Maybe SDSU's goal was to be a pretty good DII school, in which case they achieved that. They certainly weren't a dominant school.

As far as being jealous, thats hardly the case. Every time you guys rip USD for something, is it out of jealousy? You have knocked USD about everything you could right down to their fundraising, is that all out of jealousy.  Everytime somebody knocks SDSU your response is always because they are jealous.
          I will say I was jealous of your women's basketball team going to three straight Elite 8's.  I wish that would have been us, that would have been great. However, so far you haven't done anything in DI to warrant me being jealous. Like I've said many times before though, if we check back in 10 years and your men's basketball team is in the Missouri Valley conference and going to the Sweet 16, well then I might be jealous.  
          2 quick points. #1 My post was in reference to you, not the past at SDSU. #2 Jealousy is often misdefined and almost always viewed as a negative. In reality, envy (which is wishing ill-will on those who you perceive as achieving/receiving greater good than you) is the negative. Jealousy is felt in defense of what you have/had. Not so much what someone else has (thats more like coveting). In other words, SDSU has left the NCC and DII. This leaves a large void in the heart and minds of current NCC members, especially USD. As a response (conscious or unconscious) you feal jealous in defense of what the NCC once was and dare I say what lies in the future. This causes you to spend undo time thinking/obsessing about the cause of your jealousy. Hence, spending what could be productive time on a forum not dedicated to your true interest.

Go ahead, protect your ego with rationalizations of all sorts. "Your just defending USD." "You just want everyone to hear the players perspectives." Etc......
          In the end your jealous that SDSU has moved forward and USD remains behind. Thats nothing to be ashamed of and I think your catching on. USD should relish the fact that it has an average DII athletic program in what use to be a premier DII conference.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

So many ofyou have some big psycological answers for simple things, let me put it simply.
            Do I wish the NCC was what it once was? Yes, absolutely. Would I rather USD be a low level D-I team, who can't even the get the few D-I recruits that come out of SD, no way. Would I rather USD be in the mid con. playing teams I know nothing about and care nothing about, no way. Would I rather USD be competing very well in the Big 10, Yes.
            Right now I'm happy where USD is at, I wish the NCC was as strong as it was before. If the NCC falls apart I might change my thinking on where USD is at. If State finds a good conference and some good success at the D-I level then I would probably change my thinking on where they are as well.

Comment

Maybe SDSU is anxious to play the Illini in order to shore up the budget shortfall that probably has come due to your less than inspiring bb attendance last season.  Maybe you will have to schedule almost all road games for the nice guarantees you can since as of yet your fans aren't coming to the games.
              But the biggest area of interest that I have is where are your recruits going to come from?  I suspect that you won't go after many juco's bc of all the inherent problems associated with them.  I hear coach nagy is well connected in illinois.  He won't be recruiting against schools in the Big10 but instead against mid majors like ill state, wi-green bay, valpo, siu, st louis univ and others who recruit Ill..  He is going to have to beat those kind of schools out for the kind of players you need to win with.  I would like to hear his recruiting pitch getting some kid from Illinois to trek over to SD to endure cold winters, isolation, and little ethnic diversity.  If he can/does win then he deserves to move up in the world of coaching.  I think he will be lucky to have as much success as UMKC has had over the last 20 years.
              I will be watching closely.
              Congrats over your ND win.  But a win against UND baseball is not exactly on the same level as a win over their storied fb team.  But when you are struggling for success any tiny morsel of hope is appreciated.

Comment

I think if we can recruit kids from Arizona to play football in South Dakota we can find some basketball players who can leave that warm paradise of Illinois to play at SDSU. I think SDSU could do more to encourage more minority students and coaches to come to Brookings. I also feel there are many kids who simply want an opportunity to get an education and play DI ball regardless of the demographic makeup of the community.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                  Maybe SDSU is anxious to play the Illini in order to shore up the budget shortfall that probably has come due to your less than inspiring bb attendance last season.  Maybe you will have to schedule almost all road games for the nice guarantees you can since as of yet your fans aren't coming to the games.
                  But the biggest area of interest that I have is where are your recruits going to come from?  I suspect that you won't go after many juco's bc of all the inherent problems associated with them.  I hear coach nagy is well connected in illinois.  He won't be recruiting against schools in the Big10 but instead against mid majors like ill state, wi-green bay, valpo, siu, st louis univ and others who recruit Ill..  He is going to have to beat those kind of schools out for the kind of players you need to win with.  I would like to hear his recruiting pitch getting some kid from Illinois to trek over to SD to endure cold winters, isolation, and little ethnic diversity.  If he can/does win then he deserves to move up in the world of coaching.  I think he will be lucky to have as much success as UMKC has had over the last 20 years.
                  Congrats over your ND win.  But a win against UND baseball is not exactly on the same level as a win over their storied fb team.  But when you are struggling for success any tiny morsel of hope is appreciated.
                  I assume its obvious to Mav, jake, buff, and other "outsiders" that some of the defensiveness about our move to DI is related to concerns such as those outlined above. All of these are legitimate questions that supporters of SDSU should be concerned about. In an ideal world DI would have welcomed the upper eshilon of the NCC has a new DI conference, but this could not happen.

Our recruiting and fund raising will come down to the quality of the individuals involved. Finding donors and attracting kids to Brookings, SD is in some ways more difficult than other regions of the country, but in other ways there or positives about SDSU that are not present elsewhere.

I won't go on. Just understand that I understand all that could go wrong with this move and what we gave up in the leaving the NCC and DII. That said, I think the risks are worth the eventual benefits on all fronts. After all, thats really what each decision in life is about.

Comment

Buff,

I believe you stated before that you are a lawyer. If that's true you're not very good at arguing your case. Hopefully you're young and using this as practice.

I always think of an old line I once heard, "A good lawyer knows the law. A great lawyer knows the judge." I hope you know the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake

Its very interesting but much of this same dialogue appeared a year ago over on the Bisonville smack part and the author of it was Maverick No 1. as I recall. This would lead me to believe that Mav no1 and Big Jake are indeed the same individual. Clever but I am not fooled. The only thing that has changed is that the point about diversity arguement now includes poltically correct terms whereas a year ago, the language was more blunt and had racial overtones. : :

Comment

Working...
                      X