Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This can't be fun

Originally posted by sports_buff

This is the part that you should have put in bold. I'm sure this doesn't mean that CatchEmAll thinks SDSU made the wrong decision, it just means that he feels bad for the juniors and seniors.
    Ya, you already chopped up CatchEmAll's post once in a quote.  I highlighted some of the parts you seemed to have missed, but I also left in the part you latched on to.  Our current Upperclassmen knew full well, or should have, that SDSU moving to D-I was a possibility.  Unlike USD's baseball decision, SDSU had been talking about our decision for years before it was made.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Ya, you already chopped up CatchEmAll's post once in a quote.  I highlighted some of the parts you seemed to have missed, but I also left in the part you latched on to.  Our current Upperclassmen knew full well, or should have, that SDSU moving to D-I was a possibility.  Unlike USD's baseball decision, SDSU had been talking about our decision for years before it was made.

Go State!  ;D
      SDSU sure wasn't talking about the move at the time guys like Matt Jones were being recruited. If you are trying to make me believe that all the athletes at SDSU knew when they signed that SDSU might go DI then you wasting your time. They haven't been talking about it for that long.
      I'm sure Nagy used that as his recruiting slogan to Kleinjan---come here and for your last couple of years we'll be in a transistional period and you won't be able to compete for postseason play at all.
      I don't know why you keep bringing up USD's baseball team. I've already said I feel bad for those players who had their sport cut. You don't need to keep trying to convince me that I should feel bad for them, I already said I do.
      Obviously you have no compassion for your juniors and seniors who were caught in the transistional period, thats fine.
      The reason I quoted CatchEmAll was because he did say that he felt bad for those guys, you seem to want to ignore that part.
      Believe me, it wasn't too hard to find upper classmen who were not in favor of the move, you act like that would be some kind of big coincidence. It would have been much tougher to find some upperclassmen who were excited about getting caught in the transistional period. Believe it or not 89, not everybody in the world was excited about the move, and believe it or not, I actually know some people that go to SDSU, and believe it or not they actually didn't like not having a postseason to play for. Now brace yourself for this one 89 because it will really cause you to flip your lid--I even have an SDSU assistant coach on speed dial. How could this be.

Comment

Buff,

I really do feel sorry for you. Have a nice weekend.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Obviously you have no compassion for your juniors and seniors who were caught in the transistional period, thats fine.
          Transistional? Anyway, yes, it is truly a tragedy that they'll have to play Illinois to begin the season and will have to host UW-Milwaukee next year. Those poor kids. All they get for it is a free education. What a shame. And there was no way out... wait... they could have transferred and gotten a free education while playing Dana and Peru State instead.

Comment

The second of the four noble truths states that most of the suffering in this world is caused by our attachment to things, people and ideas. One of the problems with clinging to the things of this world is that everything in life changes. Nothing stays the same. Inherent in the Four Noble Truths is the idea that nothing in life is permanent.

If nothing in life stays the same, then we suffer if we try to cling to something that is, by its very nature, destined to disappear.

-- Buddhism
            Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF
              The second of the four noble truths states that most of the suffering in this world is caused by our attachment to things, people and ideas. One of the problems with clinging to the things of this world is that everything in life changes. Nothing stays the same. Inherent in the Four Noble Truths is the idea that nothing in life is permanent.

If nothing in life stays the same, then we suffer if we try to cling to something that is, by its very nature, destined to disappear.

-- Buddhism

Will you be my mentor?

Comment

Unfortunately I am already full but my buddy Rex will be more than happy to mentor you

I'm Rex, founder of the Rex Kwan Do self-defense system! After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man.

Rex Kwon Do, we use the buddy system.
                No more flyin' solo. You need somebody watching your back at all times!
                Second off, you're gonna learn to discipline your image.
                Do you think I got where I am today
                because I dress like Peter Pan here?
                Take a look at what I'm wearing, people.
                Do you think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face
                while I'm wearin' these bad boys?
                Forget about it.
                Last off, my students will learn about self-respect.
                Do you think anybody thinks I'm a failure because I go home to Starla at night?
                Forget about it!
                Now, for only $300, you can sign up right now for my eight-week program.

(Trust me it is well worth the 300 dollars)
                -Napoleon Dynamite
                Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Yes, this isn't fun.

SDSU's screwing their upperclass athletes by clandestinely reclassifying to D-I while nobody was paying attention, having very successful women's basketball and volleyball seasons, and then to complete the insult, scheduling the U. of Illinois to open next men's basketball season and a home game against another Sweet 16 team (UWM).

Meanwhile, the Kansas City Star is reporting the results of the D-II championship in the little print part of the sports section, from Grand Fork (sic) N.D.

Yep, not fun at all.

News flash: Things change. I realize from personal experience, growing up in S.D., it's really comfortable that everything seems to be the same as it was 20 and 50 and 100 years ago, but that isn't reality. It's just the weird little bubble that South Dakota has lived in for ever, it seems.

The bubble is bursting. Lots of people don't like that. They don't like that Sioux Falls has become a nice little mid-sized city when once it was a small city (that some folks thought was too big already). They don't like that SDSU decided that it had more in common with Colorado State and Clemson than it did with Lynn and Findlay.

SDSU's athletes and coaches have had (and, I'd wager, continue to have) ample opportunity to adapt to the changes, either by stepping up to the new level SDSU is moving to, or finding somewhere else where they'd be more comfortable.

I regretted that Andy Moeller and Isha Vanterpool decided to leave SDSU, but I respect those decisions. Like most colleges, SDSU is a special place and as an alum, I regret their choice to go anywhere else. Most coaches, most athletes stayed. They didn't have to. Those that wanted to leave either did, or stayed because the reasons for staying outweighed the reasons for leaving.
                  Everyone gets to decide for themselves what's best for them, every single day. It's a little thing called free will.

Gushing uncontrollable crocodile tears about those who may have decided to leave (or stay and be unhappy), especially in this particular forum, is simply disingenuous.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF

-- Buddhism
                    OK, Joey, you just said what I was ranting about, but much cooler. 8)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

SDSU sure wasn't talking about the move at the time guys like Matt Jones were being recruited.  If you are trying to make me believe that all the athletes at SDSU knew when they signed that SDSU might go DI then you wasting your time.  They haven't been talking about it for that long.
                      I'm sure Nagy used that as his recruiting slogan to Kleinjan---come here and for your last couple of years we'll be in a transistional period and you won't be able to compete for postseason play at all.
                      I don't know why you keep bringing up USD's baseball team.  I've already said I feel bad for those players who had their sport cut. You don't need to keep trying to convince me that I should feel bad for them, I already said I do.
                      The reason I quoted CatchEmAll was because he did say that he felt bad for those guys, you seem to want to ignore that part.
                      Believe me, it wasn't too hard to find upper classmen who were not in favor of the move, you act like that would be some kind of big coincidence.  It would have been much tougher to find some upperclassmen who were excited about getting caught in the transistional period.  Believe it or not 89, not everybody in the world was excited about the move, and believe it or not, I actually know some people that go to SDSU, and believe it or not they actually didn't like not having a postseason to play for.  Now brace yourself for this one 89 because it will really cause you to flip your lid--I even have an SDSU assistant coach on speed dial.  How could this be.
                      This is pathetic. Echoing other comments above why should we feel sorry for people like Andy Kleinjan who has an opportunity to compete at a level and against competition he never dreamed of in high school. Next year he will have a chance to play in the NIT which even though it plays second fiddle to the Big Dance still has more meaning to the basketball world than the Division II National Championship game. I enjoyed the Jacks competing at the DII level, but the longer we are away from it the more I realize this is where we should have been years ago. The schedule in 2005/2006 will be much improved over this year and we will continue to recruit kids that we never dreamed of coming to SDSU. Feel sorry for a group of young athletes who will get a chance to play the Illini in Champaign, I don't think so. I only hope Matt Jones will have a chance to show he can compete at this level in his senior year. How many more games would we have won with him at full strength this year.  

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

Feel sorry for a group of young athletes who will get a chance to play the Illini in Champaign, I don't think so.
                        Ya, I'm sure the Georgia Southern game was the highlight of the year for your football players, I mean they are one of the best in I-AA after all. Ask them how much fun they had.

Hey, I'm just going by what the athletes have told me. They didn't like their careers ending in a meaningless game. Once again, I will reiterate that this has nothing to do with whether it was a good move to go D-I or not. I guess I just have too big of a heart, I care too much for these SDSU athletes who feel like they got slighted. Some of the same one's who feel they got slighted feel that SDSU is making the right move, they just wanted them to make it after they graduated. I'm sure you can respect that.

Comment

Ya, I'm sure the Georgia Southern game was the highlight of the year for your football players, I mean they are one of the best in I-AA after all.  Ask them how much fun they had.

Hey, I'm just going by what the athletes have told me.  They didn't like their careers ending in a meaningless game.  Once again, I will reiterate that this has nothing to do with whether it was a good move to go D-I or not. I guess I just have too big of a heart, I care too much for these SDSU athletes who feel like they got slighted. Some of the same one's who feel they got slighted feel that SDSU is making the right move, they just wanted them to make it after they graduated.  I'm sure you can respect that.
                          I doubt the players will judge their season based on what happened in Statesboro. The jacks had an opportunity to go play a much more talented foe in front of a large raucus crowd and played to the best of their abilities. I don't think there is any embarrasment in that. Did they have more fun beating up Augie? Life and sports is about challenging yourself. I don't think there is such a thing as a meaningless game. It's a privlidge to suit up and go out and represent your school. I don't know who your talking about the football team overachieved and with the exception of Georgia Southern and Cal Davis competed very well. In Women's Basketball I have had heard nothing but glowing comments about how much fun it was to play the kind of schedule they had. Mens Basketball was going to be tough no matter what. The three seniors who will graduate were all role players who got a chance to play a lot of minutes because of the move to DI. Had we not made the move Gilbert, Cadwell and Moeller would have played and the seniors would have been relagated to few minutes.

Comment

I guess I just have too big of a heart, I care too much for these SDSU athletes who feel like they got slighted.
                            on Today at 7:54am, filbert wrote:

Gushing uncontrollable crocodile tears about those who may have decided to leave (or stay and be unhappy), especially in this particular forum, is simply disingenuous.

Comment

They didn't like their careers ending in a meaningless game.
                              I don't want to get into this argument because it doesn't really seem to have a point. And I'm not really chosing a side here. I just wanted to throw my thoughts into the ring. I think the whole "playing meaningless games" point is overblown.

Now, I'm about as competitive as they come. Many times, to a fault. My last season at SDSU we were a dissapointing 6-5. This was the senior year of what was picked as the best recruiting class in the NCC in 1994. Unfortunately, as is the case in many instances, injuries and certain breaks didn't go our way.

However, at the end of the season, we seniors huddled in the locker room and cried like little girls because our careers were over. We weren't crying because we didn't win the NCC or because we didn't make the playoffs. We were crying because we all loved playing football and it was over. Also, we were crying because we knew it would never be the same for we teamates who were no longer going to spend upwards of 8 hours of every day together.

In my opinion, college sports is so much more than winning championships (a cliche, I know). Every year 10-20 of my old college teamates and I get together in the woods of Minnesota for beer and paintball. We plan it and talk about it all year long. We even make stupid t-shirts and everything. My best man and groomsmen were predominately fellow football players. I've been the best man or groomsmen for 6 of my fellow football players. Former OL of my graduating class, Craig Ploetz, just named his first born son Zachary Carter Ploetz after our teamate Zach Carter. They didn't even know each other prior to SDSU football.

Losing sucks and everyone who plays a sport plays to win. But, it's pretty far off to say that not having a championship to play for totally ruins the whole purpose of playing a sport. When this years seniors look back at their career, not having a championship to their credit will be pretty far down on the list of things they think about. Just my two cents worth.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Along the same lines as MWJA, the game means what it means to each individual and team.

Those of us who continuously strive to be the best, never being satisfied with our latest accomplisments, setting higher goals, and then taking action to achieve them; the move to DI makes perfect sense.

For guys like the buff (USD ideals), he'd rather take the "low" road. Never challenging himself, lowering expectations and requirements, seeing the world from a very small and isolated perspective. I would expect nothing more from a person like this.

Stop feeling sorry for the students, athletes, and alumni of SDSU. We've all stopped feeling sorry for you.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X