Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This can't be fun

Originally posted by sports_buff

I didn't say you had players that were cut by other teams, what I said was you had seniors that weren't good enough to transfer anywhere else, just like a lot of our baseball players.
    Or maybe they just wanted to graduate in the academic programs they'd been working in. Or maybe they wanted to play for SDSU. Or maybe they're actually robots from another galaxy.

Care to speculate further about why they didn't transfer? What a pointless exercise.

Here's something factual: SDSU has a baseball team. USD does not. Perhaps you can take us off on another wild tangent to obscure that fact, sports_buff.

Let me help: USD HAS an intercollegiate baseball team, but they're actually amateur sleuths who drive around in a psychedelic van with a talking dog and solve mysteries.

Comment

While I can't speak for all the varsity athletes at SDSU. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of them are in favor of the D 1 move. The opportunity to play against the best and be the best they can be is a great motivator....

Go Jacks !!!!!
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Not trying to ruffle feathers, but was USD's cutting of the baseball team discussed for any length of time, like over the course of a couple years, so that the players knew it was coming. If so, then atleast the baseball players knew there was a chance they would lose their sport. If it was a snap decision then the baseball players got screwed.

The DI move was discussed for a number of years before the official move was made. I do feel bad for those upper classmen who chose SDSU because of their sport of choice and then had the classification changed. There was opportunity to transfer, but it's not fair to expect one to transfer after getting acclimated to the university as a whole. I think the publicized transfer was a special situation. Most athletes heading into their final year, IMO, would stick it out and graduate from SDSU rather than completely changing their lives for the sake of sport.

The one sticky spot is that coaches could not recruit student athletes and guarantee them a DI or DII experience until the official decision was made. In that respect there could be some who came to SDSU thinking the DI thing would pass. Although I believe most coaches made it clear that the DI move was iminent and recruiting in some sports reflected that (positively and negatively).
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

[quote author=CatchEmAll link=board=Smack;num=1110802923;start=30#32 date=03/24/05 at 11:25:34

I do feel bad for those upper classmen who chose SDSU because of their sport of choice and then had the classification changed.  There was opportunity to transfer, but it's not fair to expect one to transfer after getting acclimated to the university as a whole.  I think the publicized transfer was a special situation.  Most athletes heading into their final year, IMO, would stick it out and graduate from SDSU rather than completely changing their lives for the sake of sport.

quote]

This is a very good post. You are right about transfering not being a good option, and thats what I said before. Most would stick it out at the college they are at. I don't look at our baseball players and say "hey, if you don't like it, then transfer." I do feel bad for them. I'm glad to see that you admit to feeling bad for your upperclassmen as well.

Comment

This is a very good post. You are right about transfering not being a good option, and thats what I said before. Most would stick it out at the college they are at. I don't look at our baseball players and say "hey, if you don't like it, then transfer."  I do feel bad for them.  I'm glad to see that you admit to feeling bad for your upperclassmen as well.
            If our athletes have not left by now, then I think they are willing to go along with the program.

Moeller was the last to leave and his career at MSUM is over now. Jake Wennig's career was probably over with his bad feet so, who else would you be talking about? Wenning came to SDSU because of the fact that SDSU was going D1, and the rumor mill tells me that he and his family are kind of tempermental people and probably would be unhappy at any institution even USED.

Also Zack Campbell football has chosen to move on to USF. USED by the way lost a bb player Roberts to USF as well so to make any crazy statement at stage of the game is pure folly and is meaningless. Not everyone is a cry baby about playing for a D2 NC.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

If our athletes have not left by now, then I think they are willing to go along with the program.

Moeller was the last to leave and his career at MSUM is over now. Jake Wennig's career was probably over with his bad feet so, who else would you be talking about? Wenning came to SDSU because of the fact that SDSU was going D1, and the rumor mill tells me that he and his family are kind of tempermental people and probably would be unhappy at  any institution even USED.

Also Zack Campbell football has chosen to move on to USF. USED by the way lost a bb player Roberts to USF as well so to make any crazy statement at stage of the game is pure folly and is meaningless.  Not everyone is a cry baby about playing for a D2 NC.
              I often don't know what the heck you are talking about.

I didn't say any of your athletes were going to transfer, I don't think they are going to. You are right, the ones who would transfer, probably already have.

USD didn't lose Roberts, he transfered to USF because he knew he wasn't going to get any playing time at USD. Not that that has anything to do with what I was talking about, but you seemed concerned about it.

Comment

Buff,

You are missing the fundamental difference between what SDSU and USD did. SDSU expanded the opportunity to play Varsity athletics at our school. USD eliminated the opportunity to play Varsity Baseball at your school.

Our athletes could transfer if they wanted to continue to play NCAA D-II sports, or they could stay and compete at the NCAA D-I level. Your baseball players had to transfer if they wanted to play at any NCAA level (D-I, D-II, or D-III). See the difference?

Go State! ;D

Comment

I think it was a good move that we cut baseball

This is just plain moronic.

Buff, with statements like this USD fans are going to think you're crazy.

Comment

This is a very good post. You are right about transfering not being a good option, and thats what I said before. Most would stick it out at the college they are at. I don't look at our baseball players and say "hey, if you don't like it, then transfer."  I do feel bad for them.  I'm glad to see that you admit to feeling bad for your upperclassmen as well.

sports Buff:
                    What you seem to be impling still even after one year is that SDSU made a mistake going to D1 and its unfair to the athletes and therefore they transfer and will continue to transfer because SDSU does not have a NC that the athletes can compete for during this reclassification period. Oh yes USED=SDSU in your mind, but I think you will soon taste the dust from SDSU.

So cutting baseball was a good thing. Sounds like typical USED thinking. In the same breath you probably boast about the fund raising of the USED Foundation that says 103 million was raised. I heard it includes estate planning wills student fees an every possible nickle that could be added up to make 103 million.
                    I am not suprised that 2 million more is needed for the Medical building. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

This is just plain moronic.

Buff, with statements like this USD fans are going to think you're crazy.
                      Actually you couldn't be further from the truth. The USD fans that I know, when they saw what the alternatives were, thought it would be moronic to do anything else. If we would have spent all kinds of money on another sport that nobody gives a $hit about, just to keep baseball, that would have been crazy. We weren't going to spend all kinds of money on something like women's field hockey just to keep baseball.
                      Nobody but the baseball players cared about baseball at USD.  I feel bad for those athletes that their sport was cut, just like I would feel bad for workers at a company who get laid off because of cut backs. The cut backs may be necessary and logical but you still feel bad for those workers.

89Rabbit, you can stop trying to explain the difference between the situations to me, I understand the difference. Can I feel bad for our baseball players and your upperclassmen without thinking the situations are exactly the same?  I also feel bad for homeless people, but it doesn't mean I view their situation the same as our baseball players.  All I was saying was that I feel bad for your upperclassmen. The ones I have talked to weren't happy about it and I think you could all understand why.

SDSUFan, why do you keep saying that I think SDSU players will continue to transfer. I have said twice now that transfering is not a good option, and that most anybody would just stay at their school there at.  Somehow you keep twisting that into me thinking all SDSU athletes are going to transfer away.

Comment

89Rabbit, you can stop trying to explain the difference between the situations to me, I understand the difference. Can I feel bad for our baseball players and your upperclassmen without thinking the situations are exactly the same?  I also feel bad for homeless people, but it doesn't mean I view their situation the same as our baseball players.  All I was saying was that I feel bad for your upperclassmen. The ones I have talked to weren't happy about it and I think you could all understand why.
                        Let me start by saying HA.  I'm sure you are good buds with many SDSU athletes. :    Next I am only trying to educate you.  Clearly I am doing a poor job and for that I am sorry.  You have given me an idea though.  You brought up homeless people so I am going to try another analogy.

SDSU moving to D-I is like moving to a better neighborhood.  Sure we might be a little mortgage poor when we first move in, compared to our neighbors, but as our carrers and salaries improve we will fit right in.  If you want to feel sorry that we moved to a nicer neighborhood but we can't go out to eat as often as we used to that is fine (misguided but fine).

USD on the other hand is still living in the same old neighborhood except they got cought cheating on their taxes by the IRS and had to sell their shed in the backyard and the dog house to pay the back taxes. (The thing you seem to always forget is that USD is going to spend a ton of money, $1.126 Million dollars, to improve its women's sports and had to drop baseball to get Title IX compliant).  Poor little Coyote pup, where is he going to sleep?  

If that dosen't help then re-read CatchEmAll's post on this thread.  If you still want to feel sorry for our D-I Varsity athletes then I feel sorry for you.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                          Not trying to ruffle feathers, but was USD's cutting of the baseball team discussed for any length of time, like over the course of a couple years, so that the players knew it was coming. If so, then atleast the baseball players knew there was a chance they would lose their sport. If it was a snap decision then the baseball players got screwed.

The DI move was discussed for a number of years before the official move was made.  I do feel bad for those upper classmen who chose SDSU because of their sport of choice and then had the classification changed.  There was opportunity to transfer, but it's not fair to expect one to transfer after getting acclimated to the university as a whole.  I think the publicized transfer was a special situation.  Most athletes heading into their final year, IMO, would stick it out and graduate from SDSU rather than completely changing their lives for the sake of sport.

The one sticky spot is that coaches could not recruit student athletes and guarantee them a DI or DII experience until the official decision was made.  In that respect there could be some who came to SDSU thinking the DI thing would pass.  Although I believe most coaches made it clear that the DI move was iminent and recruiting in some sports reflected that (positively and negatively).

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Let me start by saying HA.  I'm sure you are good buds with many SDSU athletes. :  

Go State!  ;D
                            I know you got this notion that nobody from SDSU can be friends with people from USD, but not everyone is that inmature. Believe it or not I do know some athletes from SDSU, SD is not that big of a state. The upperclassmen I knew were not happy about having nothing to play for this year. That shouldn't surprise anyone, I don't know why they would like that.
                            Don't get so defensive though, that has nothing to do with whether SDSU made a good move in going DI. I've tried my best to explain that to you, but obviously I have failed. You keep thinking that if you admit that some of the upperclassmen got screwed over in this deal then that means SDSU made the wrong decision in going D-I. Thats not what it means.
                            If you have no sympathy for your upperclass athletes then thats fine, somebody should have asked you if you ever think of someone other than yourself. You are obviously all for the move and thats great, but that doesn't mean that it was the best thing for everyone, namely your junior and senior athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                              I do feel bad for those upper classmen who chose SDSU because of their sport of choice and then had the classification changed. There was opportunity to transfer, but it's not fair to expect one to transfer after getting acclimated to the university as a whole.
                              This is the part that you should have put in bold. I'm sure this doesn't mean that CatchEmAll thinks SDSU made the wrong decision, it just means that he feels bad for the juniors and seniors.

Comment

I know for a fact that folks from SDSU and USD can be friends, they can even get married and have children.  There are Coyotes in my extnded family.  What I was laughing at was how convenient your friendship with several SDSU Varsity Athletes who happen to be upperclassmen and also happen to be unhappy with the move to D-I is.  Sorry I just don't buy your story.  :

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X