Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D-II, D-III, NAIA, and other lesser divisions

Originally posted by bigjake
    Prediction - we will come  to Brookings next year and smack you worse than we did this year.  
    Now you are just being silly. UMKC graduates 4 Seniors who accounted for 55 of UMKC's 95 points. The Jackrabbits graduate 3 Seniors who accounted for 9 of SDSU's 85 points. :

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
      By the way I heard absolutely no talk about sdsu eventually being in the mid cont conference but I am sure some people will post rumors about how you are as good as in after that gutty performance.  Let the rumors begin!!  Go Roos!!
      I guess you didn't pick up a copy of the Kansas City Star when you got into town on Monday. David Boyce (the Roo's beat writer) wrote ". . . The Jackrabbits left the North Central Conference in the NCAA Division II and are now in the infant stage at Division I. South Dakota State is an independent looking for a new conference, and the Mid-Continent Conference might be a good fit."

Go State! ;D

Comment

the Mid-Continent Conference might be a good fit

Big difference between might be a good fit and is a good fit. Keep in mind this is the opinion of a fish hack.
        Dude might change his mind when he has to make the 6 hour drive up I-29 in the middle of winter next year.

Comment

Big Difference between "absolutely no talk" and being part of a story in the Kansas City Star.

Comment

I am baffled why you didn't schedule USD this year. That game is a cash cow for you guys. Guaranteed 7,000 show compared to the 1,000 that show up to watch you play Upper Iowa another D2 school. I seems as though generating revenue for you guys is an afterthought, when to me it should be on the front burner. I am not an AD, I just play one on smackboards, but that game seems like a no brainer to me.

Comment

They would only play us a home/home. We compromised with a Brookings/Sioux Falls game and they refused. I'm not sorry about never playing in the grain bin again.

Comment

I know that D1 schools don't typically play away games at D2 schools but in this case I think that it would have been worth it for you guys. Nebraska and Creighton are going through a similar thing right now in that they now play one time a year and because the revenue generated is so high people want a home and home every year to bring in twice the income.

Comment

I miss the rivalry with the U but am a little relieved we didn't play them this year. They would be a big favorite in the game and I'm not sure I could stomach the shat thrown our way if they beat us twice in our first year of D-1. However, I think regardless of our team's strength, there's nothing like a State-U game in the HPER. The buzz for that game starts and lasts for weeks.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

The mid cont really has no over arching theme among the schools that are in their conf but when push comes to shove I will bet their members will want to go after independent teams southbound as opposed to northbound. Just a guess but there does seem to be real resistance to the plains bc of weather and expense to get to. Try pricing some tix to fargo and sioux falls. Cost a fortune unless you happen to get really lucky.
                    I would put you at a 40-60 chance to get into the mid cont conference long term. But if I were a coach of winter sports in the mid cont I would push my ad/college pres. to look southward. Much more pleasant experience to travel to. I think nebraska sucks during the winter and our weather pattern is much closer to kansas city's weather pattern than it is to south and north dakota's weather
                    Props to the Jacks for not quitting. I think I have seen umkc over the years get down by 20 or so about 5 or 6 times and they have always packed it in. Your effort was commendable and is a testimony to good coaching and strong will among the players. Despite that though it does not change the central thesis of my argument - unless you go the juco route (even then I doubt you will succeed and juco guys will probably drive your coach crazy with the added challenges they bring) you will not get the quality d1 men's bb players necessary to compete ever on a mid major level. Time will tell but I will bet scott nagy will age a lot in the next five years.

Comment

• Re: D-II, D-III, NAIA, and other lesser divisions

Give me a break about the weather. Last time I checked most teams play basketball and volleyball inside. I wouldn't call Kansas City or Omaha that much of an improvement with regard to weather in the winter.

Comment

Pre-emptive self-flagellation:

Yes, Morningside beat us at home tonight. Yes, this is SDSU's worst team in decades. Yes, UNO and USD (Augie, too?... ugh...) would most likely hand us our asses if we played. Yes, it's disappointing and frustrating and even embarrassing.

But, it's not the end of the world. Nagy is a good coach, and there are some decent young players there (Beran, Green, Casey, Holdren, Loney) so I'm still hopeful for next year and the year after. It doesn't make this debacle seem any less painful, though.

I realize "wait until next year" is a cop-out. But... um... wait until next year.

Thank you sir, may I have another. :-[

Comment

Not sure things will be much better next year. Granted, they can't be any worse but it seems there are no leaders on this team and I am not expecting a freshman or JC transfer to fill the leadership role. Serious changes may be in the not to distant future for this team.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ben Beran is the leader of this team. You would have seen that if you were at the game last night. He pretty much carried the team on his back and almost beat a decent Morningside team practically by himself. He has the talent and attitude on the floor to lead the team i think it will show more next year as he will be the most seasoned member of the team. If he improves the same amount over this summer as he did last summer we will have a serious D1 player leading our boys. He also was one of the few to show some fire last night.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Another kid who brings some excitement and energy to the floor is Makenzie Casey. He seems to be coming out of his shell and is making plays on offense and defense.

Comment

I say continue to give the majority of minutes to the young guys. Giving minutes to Hokenson and Giever based on what they have provided thus far is a waste. I realize they have contributed much in practice over the years, but it's time to start thinking about future years.

Comment

Working...
                                X