D-II, D-III, NAIA, and other lesser divisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D-II, D-III, NAIA, and other lesser divisions

This doesn't fit on this thread but since I am on suspension for being too negative and not a good web citizen I will comment on pat behrns here. I hope like heck the guy gets the sam houston job. We have tons of resources to work with in omaha and the guy is NEVER going to win the big one. You give dale lennon his players and he will beat uno and then trade players and dale lennon will win again. Behrns won't get the job but it would be great if he did.

Comment

I have mixed feelings on Behrns. He took over this program when it was at its lowest point ever and turned it a consistent top 25 team and for that I will be forever gratefu,l but I don't know if he can bring us a championship. His track record is not good in the playoffs.

Comment

There was an interesting clip on d2fb.com recently about kennesaw st and no fla. being invited into the d1 a-sun conf. It is funny that for so long the people at ndsu and sdsu said it was impossible to stay d2 and make yourself attractive to a d1 conference and get invited that way. They said we have to go d1 right now bc we will NEVER get invited if we stay d2. Apparently kennesaw st and no fla. figured out a way to get invited directly into a d1 conference without any independent status. I have been called an idiot and a fool for asking why you just don't go kennesaw state's route and people of this site along with the ndsu/sdsu brass said it was impossible. They said you have to be d1 to be accepted into a d1 conf. Maybe you ought to talk to the good people at no fla and kennesaw state and see how they garnered an invite so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
          There was an interesting clip on d2fb.com recently about kennesaw st and no fla. being invited into the d1 a-sun conf.   It is funny that for so long the people at ndsu and sdsu said it was impossible to stay d2 and make yourself attractive to a d1 conference and get invited that way.  They said we have to go d1 right now bc we will NEVER get invited if we stay d2.  Apparently kennesaw st and no fla. figured out a way to  get invited directly into a d1 conference without any independent status.  I have been called an idiot and a fool for asking why you just don't go kennesaw state's route and people of this site along with the ndsu/sdsu brass said it was impossible.  They said you have to be d1 to be accepted into a d1 conf. Maybe you ought to talk to the good people at no fla and kennesaw state and see how they garnered an invite so quickly.
          Well moron aka Big Jake, what do you suppose SDSU/NDSU have been doing for the past two years?  These schools have not been potted plants in trying to find a conference.  The situation with Kennesay and N Florida is much different.  There happens to be a conference within their area that has spots and that conference wants to expand.  Its a whole different ball game down there. I dont think we would learn a great deal in giving them a ring. I am willing to bet AD's Oien and Taylor did have conversations with these two schools at the NCAA convention.  Thats what the conventions are for. Members have a chance to speak one on one with other schools.  Go back to your moron corner for time out. ;D

Comment

I agree, There are so many conferences down in that area, that it is not as hard to get an invite. They are rigth there within the region, so why wouldn't someone pick them up. On the other hand, SDSU is out of the way from many of the conferences. It is hard for people to invite them because of the travel costs, but I think they won't regret it.

Do they know what they are going to do for Football?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Well moron aka Big Jake, what do you suppose SDSU/NDSU have been doing for the past two years?  These schools have not been potted plants in trying to find a conference.  The situation with Kennesay and N Florida is much different.  There happens to be a conference within their area that has spots and that conference wants to expand.  Its a whole different ball game down there. I dont think we would learn a great deal in giving them a ring. I am willing to bet AD's Oien and Taylor did have conversations with these two schools at the NCAA convention.  Thats what the conventions are for. Members have a chance to speak one on one with other schools.  Go back to your moron corner for time out. ;D

FatJake is a Moron?

I thought he was an IDIOT!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Article on Behrns

The name of UNO Football Coach Pat Behrns popped up as a candidate for the opening at NCAA Division I-AA Sam Houston State, but it didn't faze Athletic Director David Herbster.

"It's one of those situations where he was contacted - and I don't know how formal his resume was - but he did throw his name in the hat," Herbster said. "In talking to him, I don't think he was that serious about it."

Sam Houston State announced its list of four finalists Thursday, and Behrns wasn't included.

Reached Thursday, Behrns declined to comment on his involvement with the position.

Behrns also declined to comment on whether his application indicated dissatisfaction with the athletic department at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, or the direction of NCAA Division II or the North Central Conference.

He would not comment when asked if he had applied for any other openings.

Herbster, in his third week on the job, said he wasn't disappointed that Behrns was involved with another position.

"My approach with coaches is that I want to do everything I can to keep them," he said. "But at the same time I don't want to hold anybody back if, personally and professionally, another job is the best decision for them. I'll try to make it difficult for them to leave, but if they really want to leave, then how effective will they be here?"

Herbster said he was disappointed that the names of so many candidates were released.

"Now he's identified with a position he's not even being considered for, so obviously that causes some controversy," Herbster said.

Behrns, 54, is coming off his 11th season at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. In reviving the Mavericks' program, he has built a 79-46 record with four North Central Conference championships. His first two teams were a combined 4-18, but his last nine have gone 75-28.

The winds of change are swirling around UNO.

The North Central Conference has dwindled from 10 schools to seven, and North Dakota has looked into following North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Northern Colorado into Division I.

On Monday, a proposal to cut the Division II football scholarship limit from 36 to 24 was defeated, but another scholarship reduction proposal is expected to be brought forward in the near future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Turner Gill IMO the best quarterback Nebraska has ever had is one of the finalists for the Sam Houston job. I think he would be a great hire for D1AA.

Comment

Interesting article from UNO"S new AD. Answers questions about the direction of the program.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=1308884

Comment

This question is not meant as a jab at the two UNO die hards. But, how can you read that article and not be worried about UNO's future? You have both gone to great lengths to point out some of the challenges SDSU faces, but that article seems to point out similar problems UNO faces if the NCC folds.

Now, I'm a big NCC fan. It will always be my conference as I spent 5 years competing in it. However, the writing on the wall is not looking good. The very article you asked us to take a look at focused heavily on the NCC issue and it was an article meant to introduce us to the Herbster, so it's obviously a valid concern.

If you would, without the caustic anti-SDSU rants, please enlighten me with how your situation is any different than ours? UNO has a problem with conference affliation. SDSU has a problem with conference affiliation. If the NCC does implode how is UNO's problem any different than SDSU's?
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee,

I don't disagree that our conference situation is not the best. I will say that fledgling or not, we are in a conference and at this time and you are not. I will say that I have very little doubt that both the MIAA and Northern Sun would be happy to take UNO right now, especially the Northern Sun. SDSU on the other hand seems to have very little interest from any conference right now. Too me that is the difference.

Mavs #1

P.S  Milwaukee, you used the word caustic?? Your giving linebackers a bad name. I like my linebackers big and stupid and willing to run through a brick wall. Not to stereotype, I just don't see Ray Lewis or Mr. Butkus using a word that big.

Comment

I don't think the NCC's future is a dire as it is sometimes presented, but I do think the collapse of the NCC is a possibility. The thing that would worry me if I was UNO, and USD for that matter, is that they have to spend each day wondering what UND is going to do. SDSU may have put themselves out on a ledge with the conference affiliation, but UNO and the rest of the NCC seem to be living in constant fear that UND will someday decide to make the jump to 1AA. Then the rest of the NCC is left to scramble. I'm not sure that situation, although different than SDSU's, is any better? Your thoughts on that?

- Milw

By the way, I think my wife would tell you that there are many times I fit into the big and stupid stereotype. Well, at least stupid.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Cheesehead (I mean that in a good way being a Packer/Ahman Green fan)

I do think that UND is kind of holding us hostage in a way. But we might beat them to the punch by bolting to the MIAA. Then they would be left holding the bag. Heading south on 1-29 during basketball and football sounds better to me than making the trek up North on 1-29. Our new AD sounds like he has a good pulse of whats going on.

Mavs#1

P.S Don't feel bad, my wife questions my intelligence quite often. Not to mention the fact that Picture Geek (JBNJBQ) had called me an idiot over 5,000 times. Top that!!!!!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the MIAA already say thanks but no thanks to UNO's inquiries about possibly joining the league?

Comment

I think that UNO said thanks but no thanks after MO Rolla bolted to see what became of NCC. According to article Truman State and Southwest Baptist might leave the MIAA which would open another spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X