UND going D-1, UNO left behind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND going D-1, UNO left behind

By any honest measure, SDSU's D-I move is going pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
      Just what is the overall financial condition of SDSU's athletic dept. after two year at DI? Is fundraising on track? Is all of the travel taking a financial toll? Are the 'minor' sports safe from the cutting block.

Very few DI schools are in the black in the athletic dept. Curious what the situation is in Brookings.
      Wallow some more. You can't pick and choose numbers, dates or times to try and judge what is a dynamic process. It would be great if we had a $20 million dollar athletic program right now. We don't. I'd sure rather have a relatively "underfunded" DI program than a massively over-funded lesser division program like the ones I suspect you support.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Regardless of what side of the fence you are on with this thing, the recent news regarding UND moving up, the NCC debating whether to merge with the NSIC (sadly), and all of the recent articles about Augie, USD, UNO, etc. wringing their hands about their future and/or cutting their athletic budgets is all the proof that is necessary to prove SDSU made the right decision when we joined NDSU in the move to D1. The same schools who are left trying to figure out how their pants ended up on the floor in all of this, were the same schools who ridiculed and villified the State schools for their move back when the decision was announced. And it should be pointed out that SDSU and NDSU pushed hard for the other members of the NCC to join them in the move. I have a lot of great memories of my time in the NCC and will continue to remember with pride the '90s when the NCC was the best conference in DII hands down. But, when articles are being published about a merger with the NSIC, I cringe. That's not the NCC I remember. The unfortunate thing was the writing was on the wall 5 years ago and it seems that SDSU and NDSU were the only ones willing to believe what their decoder ring was telling them. This is not a "told you so", just the facts. Facts that even the most zealous anti-SDSU fan would not be able to argue against.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

There has been alot of talk going on about the old NCC and whats going to happen and of course the standard gossip/speculation by many over where they will end up. What I find interesting is that some believe a few of the old NCC schools will make the move up. As a few others on Bisonville have eluded too, I hope we (NDSU and SDSU) didn't do all this work just to end up in a watered down version of the old NCC in DI. und making the move up is questionable as the financing questions haven't been addressed and with the naming rights issue with the NCAA I think the taxpayers of the state of ND had ought to be asking alot of questions about where the $$$$ is coming from to fund all these moves. UNO is a prime example of funding issues and its too bad whats going on down there but if you don't have the backing of alumni and the area the school is located in then it just won't work. That's why I have to question the grand forks and und move. According to their own study over half were opposed to it, well this whole topic will hopefully come to a end when NDSU and SDSU get into a conference. Preferably one that doesn't include und.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
            Regardless of what side of the fence you are on with this thing, the recent news regarding UND moving up, the NCC debating whether to merge with the NSIC (sadly), and all of the recent articles about Augie, USD, UNO, etc. wringing their hands about their future and/or cutting their athletic budgets is all the proof that is necessary to prove SDSU made the right decision when we joined NDSU in the move to D1. The same schools who are left trying to figure out how their pants ended up on the floor in all of this, were the same schools who ridiculed and villified the State schools for their move back when the decision was announced.
            Good point. That's one point I have been waiting to hear/read in the media coverage of UND going to D1. Clearly, the UND move (and USD's "study&quot should lay to rest any questions about SDSU/NDSU moving to D1. It had to happen. Period. And now some of those who tried to shoot us down (you know who I'm talking about, USD) are realizing that President Miller and Dr. Oien were right and they were wrong. I do think a little "I told you so" is in order. Witness this statement from Jim Abbott in the Argus today: "... we can't ignore the ever-changing external landscape in intercollegiate athletics."

Um... yeah. That's pretty much exactly what SDSU administrators said several years ago, and then USD supporters spent an inordinate amount of time and effort trying to torpedo the move.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
              There has been alot of talk going on about the old NCC and whats going to happen and of course the standard gossip/speculation by many over where they will end up.  What I find interesting is that some believe a few of the old NCC schools will make the move up.  As a few others on Bisonville have eluded too, I hope we (NDSU and SDSU) didn't do all this work just to end up in a watered down version of the old NCC in DI.  und making the move up is questionable as the financing questions haven't been addressed and with the naming rights issue with the NCAA I think the taxpayers of the state of ND had ought to be asking alot of questions about where the $$$$ is coming from to fund all these moves.  UNO is a prime example of funding issues and its too bad whats going on down there but if you don't have the backing of alumni and the area the school is located in then it just won't work.  That's why I have to question the grand forks and und move.  According to their own study over half were opposed to it, well this whole topic will hopefully come to a end when NDSU and SDSU get into a conference.  Preferably one that doesn't include und.
              BisonBacker, I have to ask you a question. Wouldn't it be appealing to you to have UND in a conference with NDSU and SDSU a couple of years down the road after they have gone through a couple of years of transition like we have both done?

It seems to me that would be appealling to both North Dakota schools. There has been plenty of speculation that UND making the move could possibly hurt SDSU's chances of landing in a conference. That isn't my belief, but it's out there.

Being in the Mid-Con with both NDSU and UND down the road would be awesome. I've always thought UND was an upper-level NCC school and they will probably fit into D-I just fine. The suprise to me is that they hadn't announced much sooner. I don't really see any other current NCC schools making the jump and having a fighting chance.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

For reference, here is the budget cut release
                a cut-n-paste off the UNO athletic website.....

6/20/2006
                Revenue Shortfall Forces Budget, Staff Cuts
                The University of Nebraska at Omaha Department of Athletics is projecting a revenue shortfall for the 2005-06 fiscal year. In order to help re-balance expenditures with revenues, a number of steps will be taken, said David Herbster, UNO director of athletics.

Five staff positions will be eliminated, with the duties associated with those positions reassigned to existing staff.

"These cuts, while difficult on a personal level, are being made to protect the integrity of UNO’s roster of men’s and women’s sports,” Herbster said.

Targeted operating budget reductions total $440,000, 6.47 percent of the total budget for UNO Athletics.

There are several reasons for the revenue shortfall, Herbster said. The costs associated with use of the Qwest Center Omaha as home ice for Maverick hockey are substantial. In addition, gate receipts are down, which can be attributed – in part – to increased competition for the entertainment dollar in the metropolitan area.

Herbster said athletics administration is in the process of developing a revenue enhancement plan to increase gate receipts, sponsorships and fund-raising efforts.

“The UNO administration remains fully committed to Maverick Athletics,” said UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck. “We value the role it plays in helping our student athletes develop into responsible citizens who make important contributions to their communities.”

Belck said the administration also recognizes the contributions of athletics in bringing regional, statewide and national attention to the UNO campus and what it can offer today’s college student. The Mavericks brought home a national soccer championship in 2005, a national wrestling championship in 2006 and 4 conference titles in 2005-06.

Comment

At least UNO still has enough money to keep its website up and running. Maybe the Mav twins will volunteer to help out in the Atheltic Dept.

Comment

NO NEED TO WORRY. UNO OFFICIALS ARE TAKING THEIR USUAL APPROPRIATE ACTION:

THERE IS A LOT OF SAND IN OMAHA

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Actually, the UNO administrators are currently hiding in the Sand Hills (and burying their heads) so the angry athletic boosters and the Mav twins don't find them.......

Comment

Outta curiousity, I forgot who the Mavs big rival was. maybe it was us, cuz i mean look how jealous they are that the mid con is looking at including us in their conference, but i could be wrong.

Comment

key word is looking. You have been left standing at the alter before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs Rule
                            key word is looking. You have been left standing at the alter before.
                            You're right, we were stood up at the altar by the B.S. Conference... but I'm looking forward to our Jacks and the rest of the Great West beating the SNOT out of those pretentious pricks for years to come.

Besides, we have more conference affiliations with the MidCon than we would have with the B.S. (baseball, wrestling, etc.)

UNO's problems kind of remind me of the movie "PCU" in which the dean of the college guts the hockey team's dormitory in order to house the Lesbian Transgendered Asian Vegan Studies department! Where's Jeremy Piven when you need him?!?!
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I will be the first to admit that UNO has always had a strong wrestling program, but 4 conferences titles in the NCC that no longer includes UNC, NDSU, & SDSU. Big deal. Heck USD can finally win two-thirds of their football games against the likes of Upper Iowa.

Comment

Someone had better take any sharp objects away from the Mavbots when SDSU gets the formal invite to the Mid-Con. That will take away it's only hope in life.

If you listened to the Mavbots (why one would do that, I don't know) you would think that SDSU has been wandering in the wilderness for ages upon ages without a conference. There's about a 99.9% chance of SDSU getting into the Mid-Con, campus visits are usually just a formality.

Comment

Working...
                                X