Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD-I???

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
    My dad went to the Georgia Southern game last year and said that was the fastest team he's ever seen.  He also saw the Cal Poly game and said their level of team speed was still just a notch above ours, especially their WR who just killed us.  My dad is an SDSU grad, saw my uncle play the majority of his games when he played for SDSU in the 70's and saw every one one of the games I was involved in for a 5 year span in the mid-late 90's at SDSU.  I'd say he's seen enough teams to make the distinction.  Simply put, the overall athletic talent at 1AA is better than D2 - even the NCC when it was at it's highest point.  I don't have any problem saying that and I played in the NCC when it was probably at it's peak in football and have one of my best friends still playing in the NFL with Steve Heiden, so I've seen the talent.  USD fans can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that the talent is better or maybe just don't want to now that they finally have had a run of some good teams.

By the way, the point about how the dome used to suit SDSU better than USD is an interesting one.  I'd agree to an extent and would say that has a lot to do with our success in the dome in the last 20 years.  I know when I played, it always felt like I had an extra oomph when playing on the turf.  You could cut faster and get going quicker than on grass.  When Daly was here we ran a one back, passing offense while USD ran that goofy option attack.  Stig has gone from a power running team with Ranek, to a passing team with Nelson, back to a power running team with our current squads.  

Also, I have to agree Logan is a stud.  I'm sure he's happy he chose USD.  He's found a huge amount of success there.  He probably would be splitting time at SDSU with our stock of RBs and would probably not have had the opportunity to play as early as he did at SDSU.  Plus, if he's not the prototypical turf player, I don't know who is.  He reminds me of the college version of Warrick Dunn.  Playing for USD and having the offense they have is the perfect fit for him.

All very good points, it would be interesting to see how Logan would have done on grass for a 11 game season. Turf seems to make everyone quicker. I too saw the GSU game. That triple option was so darn dangerous. I was really proud of our guys and the coaching staff for preparing for this game and I was so happy just to stay within a TD or two for most of the game. The thing I remember was the running backs were very small and similar to Logan, but they knew how to execute. To this guy who played little football, the great teams will always seem to be able to execute. I think back to the NDSU veer option in the late 1980's and 1990's as another example of execution. UND started their D scheme in an attempt to stop the Veer, but the coach called Buba seem to find ways to stop all kinds of offense. If there is one thing I dont like about UND's move to D1 is that we will have to deal with their defensive scheme again. Buba and several assistants have moved on but they seem to get their former players back for coaches who can fill the coaching gaps.

I think learned a great deal from GSU game one in Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
      [quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152888676/15#24 date=1154576041]I think that the biggest difference between D1AA and D2 isn't necessarily the top level teams as much as it is the depth of good teams in D1AA.  When the NCC was in it's prime in the 80's and 90's I think almost everyone would agree that they were of a similar caliber to many D1AA schools.  Maybe not the top 10 of D1AA but just about everyone else.  I think UNO, USD, UND could all come into D1AA and be competitive right away but wouldn't have many 2 loss type seasons.  7-4 would be a typical season that those teams could be able to reach.   The lower 20% of D1AA teams would likely be taken to the woodshead by the better D2 teams.  Just the same would be true when comparing D3 to the bottom D2 teams.  
      I don't know. Maybe those 80s and 90s teams would jump in and go 7-4. But I doubt that any 36-scholarship D2 team could jump in today and go 7-4 against 63-scholarship 1AA competition. USD could beat Southern Utah, I'm sure (worst team I saw last year... worse than Valpo) but after that it gets pretty tough in the Great West. And if you go to regional 1AAs, you've got UNI, Montana, Montana State. Not an easy game there. I'm not dogging on USD. I'm impressed with what Meierkort has done there. He brought a speedier game to the field and it has been very successful. They would be well positioned to move up, assuming the money (double your current budget and you're about there) could be found. But if you think the jump from D2 to 1AA for even top D2 teams would mean little change in the level of competition today, you need to watch a few of these 1AA teams play. They're awfully fast and deep.[/quote]

That would be sad if we were better than SUU in football, as we do not carry football scholarships at all to my knowledge.  Just was curious what y'all expected in our matchup with you at that time, being without scholarships.  I think we got our butts kicked the year before by NDSU, something like 56-0.  

I have been a big proponent of adding a few scholarships to be competitive in the PFL, with schools that have them in our conference (Dayton, San Diego, etc).  We did have 3 good years when I was in school from 1999-2004, which made me feel a little better about our program, being from Texas and used to quality football.  

It also was kind of sad for me to play baseball at Valpo as well, as baseball is not thought of very highly in the northern states compared to here.  Every time I would pitch for VU, there would be so few people at our games, didn't give us much of a home field advantage.  Compared to 1,000+ people being at my high school games, there is a huge difference in baseball comparing TX to up north.  The HS football games with 10,000+ were missed as well up north, being mostly basketball in Indiana.

Comment

Originally posted by valpotx
        [quote author=jackphd link=1152888676/15#25 date=1154608580][quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152888676/15#24 date=1154576041]I think that the biggest difference between D1AA and D2 isn't necessarily the top level teams as much as it is the depth of good teams in D1AA. When the NCC was in it's prime in the 80's and 90's I think almost everyone would agree that they were of a similar caliber to many D1AA schools. Maybe not the top 10 of D1AA but just about everyone else. I think UNO, USD, UND could all come into D1AA and be competitive right away but wouldn't have many 2 loss type seasons. 7-4 would be a typical season that those teams could be able to reach. The lower 20% of D1AA teams would likely be taken to the woodshead by the better D2 teams. Just the same would be true when comparing D3 to the bottom D2 teams.
        I don't know. Maybe those 80s and 90s teams would jump in and go 7-4. But I doubt that any 36-scholarship D2 team could jump in today and go 7-4 against 63-scholarship 1AA competition. USD could beat Southern Utah, I'm sure (worst team I saw last year... worse than Valpo) but after that it gets pretty tough in the Great West. And if you go to regional 1AAs, you've got UNI, Montana, Montana State. Not an easy game there. I'm not dogging on USD. I'm impressed with what Meierkort has done there. He brought a speedier game to the field and it has been very successful. They would be well positioned to move up, assuming the money (double your current budget and you're about there) could be found. But if you think the jump from D2 to 1AA for even top D2 teams would mean little change in the level of competition today, you need to watch a few of these 1AA teams play. They're awfully fast and deep.[/quote]

That would be sad if we were better than SUU in football, as we do not carry football scholarships at all to my knowledge. Just was curious what y'all expected in our matchup with you at that time, being without scholarships. I think we got our butts kicked the year before by NDSU, something like 56-0.

I have been a big proponent of adding a few scholarships to be competitive in the PFL, with schools that have them in our conference (Dayton, San Diego, etc). We did have 3 good years when I was in school from 1999-2004, which made me feel a little better about our program, being from Texas and used to quality football. It also was kind of sad for me to play baseball at Valpo as well, as baseball is not thought of very highly in the northern states compared to here.[/quote]

Yes, SUU's performance in Brookings last year was very, very sad. On the opening kickoff, SUU thought it had JaRon Harris stopped, so they stopped playing. Harris broke out of the pack for an 86-yard TD return. It was downhill from there. 55-7 final, and their only score came with 2 minutes left. SUU rushed for -15 yards that day. It was ugly.

Valpo, as you note, has the excuse of being a 1AAA, non-scholarship program. I don't think anybody expected much of a game from Valpo. Maybe that's part of what makes the SUU game so memorable. You might expect a real football game or something from a conference foe, a scholarship team that somehow gave NDSU a decent game. Valpo was not a good football team. But they were not a good football team with no scholarships. SUU was a really bad football team with enough scholarships that they have a 1A game coming up in the next year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
          [quote author=jackphd link=1152888676/15#25 date=1154608580][quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152888676/15#24 date=1154576041]I think that the biggest difference between D1AA and D2 isn't necessarily the top level teams as much as it is the depth of good teams in D1AA.  When the NCC was in it's prime in the 80's and 90's I think almost everyone would agree that they were of a similar caliber to many D1AA schools.  Maybe not the top 10 of D1AA but just about everyone else.  I think UNO, USD, UND could all come into D1AA and be competitive right away but wouldn't have many 2 loss type seasons.  7-4 would be a typical season that those teams could be able to reach.   The lower 20% of D1AA teams would likely be taken to the woodshead by the better D2 teams.  Just the same would be true when comparing D3 to the bottom D2 teams.  

I was utterly amazed last year watching the game against Georgia Southern.  They were so unbelievably quick, and that was after I had watched us against Cal Poly and UC Davis, two other very good DIAA programs.  People just don't realize how much of a step up it is from D2 to DIAA.  Sure, there the top D2 teams could beat the bottom DIAA teams, but to make Coyote_Fan's claim correct I think you'd have to change that top 10 number to more like top 40 or 50.  

Remember its not just the extra 27 scholarships that are all the difference, the recruits gotten into a DIAA program are generally a higher caliber athlete than we used to get in D2.  Just look at where our football players have come from the last 3 seasons.
          [/quote]

If D1AA was so much quicker than D2 than SDSU would not be able to even compete with those teams. Maybe it has just as much to do with SDSU having a slow defense. USD made UNO look slow on defense and UNO is a quick defense. They made UND look bad too and they don't struggle against many offenses. I think it is fair to say that USD's offense is easily D1AA as far as talent and speed. USD's defense would probably take their lumps. You can say what you want but I think that is a fair statement.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
            If D1AA was so much quicker than D2 than SDSU would not be able to even compete with those teams.  Maybe it has just as much to do with SDSU having a slow defense.  USD made UNO look slow on defense and UNO is a quick defense.  They made UND look bad too and they don't struggle against many offenses.  I think it is fair to say that USD's offense is easily D1AA as far as talent and speed.  USD's defense would probably take their lumps.  You can say what you want but I think that is a fair statement.  

I know in your heart you believe that USD is SDSU equal, and that is kinda cute.  However, you never did give us an answer to this post made on another thread.  Do you have one yet?  :-/

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            Coyote_Fan,

It is clear that you are very proud of your wins over UNO and UND and I say congrats to you.  Those were fine wins against good teams in your Division.  I am not sure though how from those wins alone you can draw the conclusion that USD would be competitive against I-AA schools.  You made the assertion that:

[quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152460990/0#8 date=1152578536]  The difference between D2 and D1AA football is not that great.  The top 10 teams of D2 are probably better than at least half the D1AA schools.  USD was either in the top 10 or on the cusp of it.    
            yet the facts don't bare you out.  To the best of my recollection UND, UNO, and USD didn't have any I-AA on their schedule.  However, a couple of teams that the Coyotes played did venture into the waters of the I-AA lake.  

Minnesota-Duluth 56 - USD 43

Northern Iowa 49 - Minnesota-Duluth 14

USD 44 - Colorado Mines 41 - OT

Northern Colorado 52 - Colorado Mines 31

Now Northern Iowa was a beast last year in I-AA, but Northern Colorado would definitely be considered bottom half of I-AA last year (with a 4-7 record and No wins in the Great West Football Conference) and they smoked a team that USD had to beat in OT.  Unless you can show me some statistical proof, I just have a hard time buying your argument that "The difference between D2 and D1AA football is not that great".  Common sense tells us that there has to be a difference based on scholarship levels only.  After all there is a greater difference between the scholarship max from D-II to I-AA then there is between I-AA and I-A.  

I'm afraid that USD is many years away from having much of a chance at upsetting the Jackrabbits.  However, I encourage you to put pressure on your University.  A match up with your Coyotes would be an early season highlight and a nice warm up game for SDSU.  I would love to see your boys make a trip up to Brookings for a guarantee game.  Best of luck to your team this coming season.

Just for the record .  .  .

SDSU 30 - UNC 14

Go State!  

I-AA schools in bold[/quote]

We are still waiting.

Go State!  

Comment

It will be fair to say that USD has a I-AA caliber offense only when USD moves up to D-I and proves it.

Comment

[quote author=Jacks02 link=1152888676/15#26 date=1154618662][quote author=jackphd link=1152888676/15#25 date=1154608580][quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152888676/15#24 date=1154576041]I think that the biggest difference between D1AA and D2 isn't necessarily the top level teams as much as it is the depth of good teams in D1AA.  When the NCC was in it's prime in the 80's and 90's I think almost everyone would agree that they were of a similar caliber to many D1AA schools.  Maybe not the top 10 of D1AA but just about everyone else.  I think UNO, USD, UND could all come into D1AA and be competitive right away but wouldn't have many 2 loss type seasons.  7-4 would be a typical season that those teams could be able to reach.   The lower 20% of D1AA teams would likely be taken to the woodshead by the better D2 teams.  Just the same would be true when comparing D3 to the bottom D2 teams.  

I was utterly amazed last year watching the game against Georgia Southern.  They were so unbelievably quick, and that was after I had watched us against Cal Poly and UC Davis, two other very good DIAA programs.  People just don't realize how much of a step up it is from D2 to DIAA.  Sure, there the top D2 teams could beat the bottom DIAA teams, but to make Coyote_Fan's claim correct I think you'd have to change that top 10 number to more like top 40 or 50.  

Remember its not just the extra 27 scholarships that are all the difference, the recruits gotten into a DIAA program are generally a higher caliber athlete than we used to get in D2.  Just look at where our football players have come from the last 3 seasons.
                [/quote]

If D1AA was so much quicker than D2 than SDSU would not be able to even compete with those teams.  Maybe it has just as much to do with SDSU having a slow defense.  USD made UNO look slow on defense and UNO is a quick defense.  They made UND look bad too and they don't struggle against many offenses.  I think it is fair to say that USD's offense is easily D1AA as far as talent and speed.  USD's defense would probably take their lumps.  You can say what you want but I think that is a fair statement.   [/quote]

Dude, come watch a game if you don't believe their is a talent difference between the two levels. They are two different levels of athletes. Just like D2 is higher caliber than NAIA and DIA is higher than DIAA. Yes there are a few athletes at each lower level than can play at the next, but overall it is a higher level. SDSU isn't a D2 team anymore, we have several years of DIAA recruits on the team already.

Georgia Southern was the quickest college football team I have ever seen in person, and I've been watching games as a student and alumn of SDSU for 10 years now. I've seen Ranek and White, Heiden and Kleinsasser play. I know there are good players in D2, there are just alot more in DIAA. I don't have the football expertise of some on this board, but thats a pretty easy observation to make in watching a game.

Comment

[quote author=Jacks02 link=1152888676/15#26 date=1154618662][quote author=jackphd link=1152888676/15#25 date=1154608580][quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152888676/15#24 date=1154576041]I think that the biggest difference between D1AA and D2 isn't necessarily the top level teams as much as it is the depth of good teams in D1AA.  When the NCC was in it's prime in the 80's and 90's I think almost everyone would agree that they were of a similar caliber to many D1AA schools.  Maybe not the top 10 of D1AA but just about everyone else.  I think UNO, USD, UND could all come into D1AA and be competitive right away but wouldn't have many 2 loss type seasons.  7-4 would be a typical season that those teams could be able to reach.   The lower 20% of D1AA teams would likely be taken to the woodshead by the better D2 teams.  Just the same would be true when comparing D3 to the bottom D2 teams.  

[/quote]

If D1AA was so much quicker than D2 than SDSU would not be able to even compete with those teams.  Maybe it has just as much to do with SDSU having a slow defense.  USD made UNO look slow on defense and UNO is a quick defense.  They made UND look bad too and they don't struggle against many offenses.  I think it is fair to say that USD's offense is easily D1AA as far as talent and speed.  USD's defense would probably take their lumps.  You can say what you want but I think that is a fair statement.   [/quote]

It's not fair at all to say that. Besides Logan, who else? What do you know about SDSU? Have you seen us play since we last cleaned and classed up the Dakota Dome?

Comment

My prediction: the minute that USD announces that they are moving to D-I, we will suddenly stop hearing from USD fans that D-I is "just a label" or that there's no real difference between D-II and D-I.

Comment

And if they don't move up, they will say 'why should we have changed levels when there are no differences'

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

[quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152888676/30#33 date=1154716117]
                        If D1AA was so much quicker than D2 than SDSU would not be able to even compete with those teams.  Maybe it has just as much to do with SDSU having a slow defense.  USD made UNO look slow on defense and UNO is a quick defense.  They made UND look bad too and they don't struggle against many offenses.  I think it is fair to say that USD's offense is easily D1AA as far as talent and speed.  USD's defense would probably take their lumps.  You can say what you want but I think that is a fair statement.  

I know in your heart you believe that USD is SDSU equal, and that is kinda cute.  However, you never did give us an answer to this post made on another thread.  Do you have one yet?  :-/

Coyote_Fan,

It is clear that you are very proud of your wins over UNO and UND and I say congrats to you.  Those were fine wins against good teams in your Division.  I am not sure though how from those wins alone you can draw the conclusion that USD would be competitive against I-AA schools.  You made the assertion that:

[quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1152460990/0#8 date=1152578536]  The difference between D2 and D1AA football is not that great.  The top 10 teams of D2 are probably better than at least half the D1AA schools.  USD was either in the top 10 or on the cusp of it.    
                        yet the facts don't bare you out.  To the best of my recollection UND, UNO, and USD didn't have any I-AA on their schedule.  However, a couple of teams that the Coyotes played did venture into the waters of the I-AA lake.  

Minnesota-Duluth 56 - USD 43

Northern Iowa 49 - Minnesota-Duluth 14

USD 44 - Colorado Mines 41 - OT

Northern Colorado 52 - Colorado Mines 31

Now Northern Iowa was a beast last year in I-AA, but Northern Colorado would definitely be considered bottom half of I-AA last year (with a 4-7 record and No wins in the Great West Football Conference) and they smoked a team that USD had to beat in OT.  Unless you can show me some statistical proof, I just have a hard time buying your argument that "The difference between D2 and D1AA football is not that great".  Common sense tells us that there has to be a difference based on scholarship levels only.  After all there is a greater difference between the scholarship max from D-II to I-AA then there is between I-AA and I-A.  

I'm afraid that USD is many years away from having much of a chance at upsetting the Jackrabbits.  However, I encourage you to put pressure on your University.  A match up with your Coyotes would be an early season highlight and a nice warm up game for SDSU.  I would love to see your boys make a trip up to Brookings for a guarantee game.  Best of luck to your team this coming season.

Just for the record .  .  .

SDSU 30 - UNC 14

Go State!  

I-AA schools in bold[/quote]

We are still waiting.

Go State!   [/quote]

I will certainly respond to this message. I am well aware that USD was a much better home team than they were on the road and I have made a point of that in prior posts. First of all Northern Iowa was a D1AA Championship game team so them winning by that margin is not surprising, nor would it be surprising if USD beat UMD at home by that same margin, that is last year. UND won faily easily at UMD but got smoked at USD. UMD also lost at Augie and USD won big at Augie. You can't compare just scores but you have to also consider where some of those games were played. Actually in my opinion Northern Colorado's win against Mines was not anything that was majorly impressive. Keep in mind that USD had a huge lead in the Mines game entering the 4th quarter and than fell apart. I don't know the exact reasons but from what I heard the Yotes got tired in that game. If that game was in Vermillion it would have likely been more like 56-14. Mines would not have made the comeback that they did. Keep in mind that USD probably had their most draining game physically in Colorado but came back the next week at home and had their most impressive win against UNO.

I cannot believe the way of thinking that some SDSU fans do not think USD would not have a chance to win against SDSU. Your team is not suddenly head and shoulders better than what they were 2 years ago. If UNO lost 59-7 in Vermillion are you telling me that SDSU is so much better than UNO that they would win in Vermillion. Are you telling me that SDSU is so much better than UND that they would do what UND couldn't and that is win in Vermillion. When has SDSU ever been better than UND let alone substancially better. If you are claiming that SDSU would win in Vermillion than by default you would also be saying that SDSU would likely win the NCC and probably be undefeated in the process. If SDSU could win in Vermillion than they could also win at UNO and UND etc. There is no way that SDSU would be favored to win in Vermillion.

With that said USD would also likely not win in Brookings. The game would be on grass and the speed advantage that USD would have would be diminished in Brookings. In Sioux Falls it would probably be a one touchdown game either way. Neutral crowd, turf which would favor USD but they wouldn't have the dome advantage.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

USD needs to learn to win big games on the road if they want to make the playoffs but don't forget that not many other NCC teams had much success on the road either.

Over the last two years the three biggest games in the Dakota Dome were all dominated by the Coyotes from start to finish. The only exception was the UND game to end last year when USD got off to a big lead and UND kept coming back but didn't have a serious chance to win. In years past including the last year USD played SDSU, the Coyotes would usually lose all their big home games and often times they wouldn't even be close to winning. There is a big difference.
                          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

So Coyote,
                            Does this mean if USD decides to switch divisions, they will not change who they recruit? If you are already a upper 1-AA level team, why would the staff adjust anything? If they are not at that level, are you saying they are a lower level 1-AA team? Or are they not at the level of 1-AA and they will recruit better FB players if they make the switch?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Hey Coyote_Fan,

I think it is wonderful that you can admit that your school can't win meaningful D-II games on the road.  I am not sure how that strengthens your case that your team is ready to compete at a higher level, right now.   :

Didn't you play a D-III school at home in 2004?  Your team was coached by Ed Meierkort the "savior of the program", if I am not mistaken, and you guys won by a single point.  If I recall correctly the scoreboard showed USD 45 - Wisconsin-La Crosse 44.  That is the same D-III school that beat you the season before.  It is also the same D-III school that SDSU pasted as a warm up game last year (SDSU 42 - Wisconsin-La Crosse 13).

I take it back your delusions of grandeur and thinking you are equal to SDSU isn't cute, it is kind of sad.   :'(

Wake up my friend it isn't 2003 anymore and SDSU isn't in the NCC.  We are not even in D-II anymore.  USD beating UND and UNO means nothing to us because they don't play in our Division.  UC-Davis beat Stanford and we beat UC-Davis, how foolish would I look going on a PAC 10 school's fan board trying to convince them that because we beat UC-Davis that SDSU would beat them "if only the game was played in Brookings"?

I guess I now see why USD will be able to make the jump to D-I so easily.  .  . they don't have to add any scholarships.  You guys are ready to compete at the D-I level with the scholarships you have right now.  :  Give me a break. ;D ;D ;D

Go State!  

P.S. Since you labor under the delusion that SDSU is still in the NCC let me remind you that since 1990 SDSU's record against USD is 13-3.  The last time the Yotes beat SDSU in Vermillion it was 1997, Coach Stig's first season, which was a long time ago.  They also did it in 1993.  Before that you have to go all the way back to when I was at State to fine another USD victory in Vermillion.  So since 1988 USD has beaten SDSU a grand total of three times at the Dakota Dome  .  .  .  ah dome sweet dome.    ;D 8-)  Do you really want to talk about your home field advantage?  :-? ;D ;D ;D ;D Keep in mind our domination of USD happened when both teams had the same number of scholarships to award. Not like today when SDSU has substantially more to hand out.

Comment

Hey Coyote_Fan,

I think it is wonderful that you can admit that your school can't win meaningful D-II games on the road.  I am not sure how that strengthens your case that your team is ready to compete at a higher level, right now.   :

Didn't you play a D-III school at home in 2004?  Your team was coached by Ed Meierkort the "savior of the program", if I am not mistaken, and you guys won by a single point.  If I recall correctly the scoreboard showed USD 45 - Wisconsin-La Crosse 44.  That is the same D-III school that beat you the season before.  It is also the same D-III school that SDSU pasted as a warm up game last year (SDSU 42 - Wisconsin-La Crosse 13).

I take it back your delusions of grandeur and thinking you are equal to SDSU isn't cute, it is kind of sad.   :'(

Wake up my friend it isn't 2003 anymore and SDSU isn't in the NCC.  We are not even in D-II anymore.  USD beating UND and UNO means nothing to us because they don't play in our Division.  UC-Davis beat Stanford and we beat UC-Davis, how foolish would I look going on a PAC 10 school's fan board trying to convince them that because we beat UC-Davis that SDSU would beat them "if only the game was played in Brookings"?

I guess I now see why USD will be able to make the jump to D-I so easily.  .  . they don't have to add any scholarships.  You guys are ready to compete at the D-I level with the scholarships you have right now.  :  Give me a break. ;D ;D ;D

Go State!  

P.S. Since you labor under the delusion that SDSU is still in the NCC let me remind you that since 1990 SDSU's record against USD is 13-3.  The last time the Yotes beat SDSU in Vermillion it was 1997, Coach Stig's first season, which was a long time ago.  They also did it in 1993.  Before that you have to go all the way back to when I was at State to fine another USD victory in Vermillion.  So since 1988 USD has beaten SDSU a grand total of three times at the Dakota Dome  .  .  .  ah dome sweet dome.    ;D 8-)  Do you really want to talk about your home field advantage?  :-? ;D ;D ;D ;D  Keep in mind our domination of USD happened when both teams had the same number of scholarships to award.  Not like today when SDSU has substantially more to hand out.

You are ignorant and you are misrepresenting my opinons and what I have said. I never said USD was a top level D1AA program so why don't you just stick to the facts and stop trying to put words in my mouth that were never said and are not true. I have said this before and obviously you either can't read, can't comprehend or have just not read what I have said in the past. I have mentioned many times that USD was a pathetic program for many years in the 1990's and early 2000's. Hello, it was not a big feat to have beaten USD during that timeframe. Tell me something I already know. I realize that SDSU dominated during that timeframe. That is then and this is now. What did SDSU do against the good NCC teams during that timeframe. I'll tell you it wasn't much. SDSU has won a grand total of 1 playoff game. USD has been to the National Title game which is something SDSU will never do in D2, D1 or win a bowl game as a member of the big 10 which is the conference half of your delusional fans think SDSU will be within 20 years.

USD is not the same team they were prior to 2004. I repeat USD is not the crappy football team that SDSU beat during the past 15 years before 2004. If you want to brad about history I will tell you that USD owned you for the most part prior to the decade of the 1990's. Who's to say that they will not own you again some day.

SDSU's football program has not changed for the last 10 years or for that matter for the last 40 years. Your jump to D1 might make your team stronger in the long run but as of now your team is nothing more than where they were in D2. Certainly not improved to the point where they would go from being punching bags to the top flight NCC teams to suddenly being able to beat them all, all of the time. If your game against Montana back in the 90's was any indication you almost beat them as a mediocre NCC team. That was against one of the top programs in D1AA on one of the toughest fields to win on in D1AA at the time. SDSU should have won that game. If that game was in Brookings, the Jacks would win it. That is a very accurate reflection of the strength of the NCC. NDSU did win at Montana when they were in D2. If Montana had to return the favor and go to the Fargo Dome I would be that the Bison would beat them there. That is thee top of the mountain D1AA team. NCC teams can compete with the best of D1AA. I am not saying they would beat them consistantly but if you give the NCC some home games against those D1AA teams I can gautantee you that the NCC would get those share of wins. Why don't SDSU fans admit one thing. The NCC is a competitive conference and if that was not the case there wouldn't be the examples of the games vs Montana.

When I say that USD could compete with and beat SDSU I am not talking about the teams previous to 04 but the teams right now. I simply have a hard time accepting that SDSU has improved more than USD has in the past couple of years. SDSU hasn't had anything in their program really change. USD has had alot change.
                                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                                X