Hey USD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey USD!

USD's success had been more closely tied to the coaching change as it has the 3 schools leaving the NCC. USD's schedule is weaker than SDSU's. No one is going to argue that. A Primarily D1AA schedule vs a D2 schedule is of little comparison. The thing many people tend to forget is how USD has done against the upper tier NCC teams now vs what they did pre Meierkort. Before Ed came aboard and before the 3 left the NCC, USD could not beat the top level NCC teams barring a rare upset. One thing that has changed since Meierkort has arrived is that USD has played the tougher teams very well. USD had a long losing streak against UNO that they nearly broke in Omaha in Meierkort's first year and broke with recklass abandon in his second year. They have performed better at all level of competition and against all the same teams that they were playing before. We stuggled with Augie for Gods sake but during the last couple of year we beat them fairly badly both times. We beat a very good St. Cloud team and barely lost at St. Cloud. We still lost at UND but defeated them fairly soundly at home.

If you want to argue USD's schedule I can buy that to a point. What you can't argue is that USD plays the good teams on their schedule much better than they did pre Meierkort. You can't really measure what a team does against weak competition but you can vs strong competition. That is where USD has improved leaps and bounds under Ed. You also can't argue that USD's big wins are flukes because they have done it consistantly at home. On the road they have lost some close games but it's better than when they were getting beat by 30.

If you want to argue that SDSU is the better team that is fine. I am not saying I agree with you or not but to be objective I think everyone knows that USD is alot better football team than before they had Ed, weak schedule or tough. That is hard to debate. If the schedule was the primary reason for their success the Coyotes would not have been able to win the games against good competition that they have.

Same goes for the Jacks. They deserve credit for their wins against Davis, McNeese, Nichols, Southern etc, but please don't discredit USD's success as only being because of a weakened NCC/schedule. It's simply not the case.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Who cares...get the hint...go home!

This is a Rabbit Fan Board not a Yote make me feel better for our lack of vision board!

Your starting to resemble the Mavbots.  uuuuugggggghhhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
        USD's success had been more closely tied to the coaching change as it has the 3 schools leaving the NCC.  USD's schedule is weaker than SDSU's.  No one is going to argue that.  A Primarily D1AA schedule vs a D2 schedule is of little comparison.  The thing many people tend to forget is how USD has done against the upper tier NCC teams now vs what they did pre Meierkort.  Before Ed came aboard and before the 3 left the NCC, USD could not beat the top level NCC teams barring a rare upset.  One thing that has changed since Meierkort has arrived is that USD has played the tougher teams very well.  USD had a long losing streak against UNO that they nearly broke in Omaha in Meierkort's first year and broke with recklass abandon in his second year.  They have performed better at all level of competition and against all the same teams that they were playing before.  We stuggled with Augie for Gods sake but during the last couple of year we beat them fairly badly both times.  We beat a very good St. Cloud team and barely lost at St. Cloud.  We still lost at UND but defeated them fairly soundly at home.  

If you want to argue USD's schedule I can buy that to a point.  What you can't argue is that USD plays the good teams on their schedule much better than they did pre Meierkort.  You can't really measure what a team does against weak competition but you can vs strong competition.  That is where USD has improved leaps and bounds under Ed.  You also can't argue that USD's big wins are flukes because they have done it consistantly at home.  On the road they have lost some close games but it's better than when they were getting beat by 30.  

If you want to argue that SDSU is the better team that is fine.  I am not saying I agree with you or not but to be objective I think everyone knows that USD is alot better football team than before they had Ed, weak schedule or tough.  That is hard to debate.  If the schedule was the primary reason for their success the Coyotes would not have been able to win the games against good competition that they have.

Same goes for the Jacks.  They deserve credit for their wins against Davis, McNeese, Nichols, Southern etc, but please don't discredit USD's success as only being because of a weakened NCC/schedule.  It's simply not the case.
        In 2005
        usdII  record 9-2. You lost to St. Cloud and Minn Duluth. If you had played SDSU, NDSU and UNC instead of three of the cupcakes someone has said you had to play due to scheduling difficulites created when the three schools departured from the NCC, you might have won one of the three, maybe. Your record would probably have been 7-4?

In 2004
        usdII record 9-2. You lost to uno and und. Replace three cupcakes with SDSU, NDSU and UNC and your record probably would have been 7-4 tops.

All of that is conjecture, I know but here are a couple more numbers you might be interested in.....

In 2003
        At the grain bin in vermillion on state-wide tv

SDSU 22
        usdII 11

In 2002
        At CAS in Brookings

SDSU 27
        usdII 20

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

The point of my post had nothing to do with the era before Meierkort. So bringing in 2002 and 2003 is irrelevant.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
            Who cares...get the hint...go home!

This is a Rabbit Fan Board not a Yote make me feel better for our lack of vision board!

Your starting to resemble the Mavbots.  uuuuugggggghhhhh!
            Look at the title of the thread and who it was started by. Honestly I don't know but if it was a Rabbit fan you can't blame USD fans for responding. The title was asking for it.
            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
              Look at the title of the thread and who it was started by.  Honestly I don't know but if it was a Rabbit fan you can't blame USD fans for responding.  The title was asking for it.  
              He's right, we did ask for his attention. I like what the yote fans bring to the board. If I was a fan I would be jealous of the success SDSU has seen, also. I admit it, its one of my character flaws. I could also see myself rationalizing like the yote fans here. Gotta protect that fragile ego. The behavior is typical, not flattering, but typical. Reason can still win out.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Coyote_fan, thanks for having the bravery and patience to be a member of this board. I appreciate the USD perspective and any possible USD insight on their investigation of D-1, particularly since the Argus has missed the boat, train, bus, and plane on this subject matter. I hope that we can have a few more Coyote fans on the board to give info and perspectives once USD goes D-1 and agrees to play ball at Brookings again.

Good luck with the rest of your football season; you'll likely have to win out in order to secure a playoff bid. (Sorry, but this is a Smack thread, Coyote_fan.)

Comment

The upper tier of the NCC left pre-Mierkort. I think 7-4 would be generous. 500 would be more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                    The upper tier of the NCC left pre-Mierkort. I think 7-4 would be generous. 500 would be more like it.
                    I can't help it! I have always been known to be generous, kind and thoughtful. Ask anyone on the smack board?

You might be on to something there, 1bunnies. I forgot to factor in the injuries that would have likely occurred when usdII played three more really tough schools. That in fact might have impacted the other games they won in the last two years. Might have been .500 with that element added to the mix. We will never know............

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Even if USD lost to every one of the schools that left that still puts their record at 6-5. It would be a fair assumption that USD would have run the table at home and lost on the road. It is fair to say that 7-4 or 8-3 would have been the likely record.
                      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I am growing weary of this thread. In fact any engagement with the USD following is almost pointless since they are still offically D2 and both administrations USD and SDSU can not come together in terms of a contract agreement to play. Its awfully easy for USD to point at SDSU and vice versa. I dont have email or telephone taps to the parties who would sign an agreement to play, so how can anyone else know all the facts, other than pure hearsay?

If USD moves up to D1 and I do hope they do, then maybe things will start to develope in a game face off, but until then, I will agree USD has made progress under Ed Meirkort. Even Meirekort admitted that he was not used to speed on defense that he saw with UCA. Beyond that and the scores what else is their to compare? Nothing.

:-X

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                          That being said, the problem with most USD fans is they refuse to admit SDSU's team has grown at the same time.  They see us as staying put or even getting worse while they continue to be a notch just below '85 Bears status.
                          I have to admit, that is funny. A notch below the '85 bears. Myself, I liked to compare last years team with the '98 Vikes, j/k.
                          I will say you made me laugh with the '85 bears comment. There are fans out there who think way.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                            [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1160276853/30#43 date=1161021700]
                            That being said, the problem with most USD fans is they refuse to admit SDSU's team has grown at the same time.  They see us as staying put or even getting worse while they continue to be a notch just below '85 Bears status.
                            I have to admit, that is funny.  A notch below the '85 bears.  Myself, I liked to compare last years team with the '98 Vikes, j/k.
                            I will say you made me laugh with the '85 bears comment.  There are fans out there who think way.
                            [/quote]

I have good friends and even family members who think that way. I will say that knowledgable fans for both USD and SDSU will rib each other about scheduling (regarding USD) and 6-5 being "successful" (regarding SDSU), but they will give the respect that each team deserves. SDSU and USD's football programs are each enjoying more success and interest from the fan base than in a long time and for good reason. USD's schedule can be questioned, but anyone who saw them beat UNO at the dome last year saw that they had a really good team. SDSU may count 6-5 as a successful season in 1AA, but anyone who saw us beat UC-Davis or the games against Cal-Poly or GSU last year will understand why 6-5 is considered a success.

Better yet, 5 years ago no one would have given USD much of a chance at beating UNO at the dome or where ever. Additionally, no one would have given SDSU a chance to go down south and beat 2 established playoff quality programs in back-to-back weeks. Each team has seen great growth for a number of reason.

I think both teams are down offensively from last season, but up defensively. I still say we'd win any matchup even at the dome, but that's just because I'm so accustomed to winning against USD. That being said, both sects of fans should hold their heads high when talking about their teams.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

So, the Bunnies were in the upper tier of the NCC? Last conference title 40 years ago and a .500 record. Right.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
                                So, the Bunnies were in the upper tier of the NCC? Last conference title 40 years ago and a .500 record. Right.
                                Well, considering the Yotes were in the bottom of the conference, continually losing to SDSU, yes we would be considered upper, as in above USD, tier when compared to USD. But, then again, that could be said about most teams in the NCC aside from Augie and Morningside when they were there.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X