X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hey USD!

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
    Rabbit in Vermillion,

You are one of the only posters here that is not totally biased against USD.  At least you are able to bring up the strong points about the Coyotes.  I can't respect people that will consistantly rip on a good team such as USD.  They are now a proven program.  SDSU has done an outstanding job in the past few weeks.  They have shown much improvement this year.  I have no problem giving credit the Jacks as much as it pains to do so if they deserve it and they do right now.  

USD also deserves respect because they have proven it on the field.  If SDSU fans are going to automatically assume that USD is going to fail at the D1AA level in football they are not keeping an open mind.  They might fail but they also might succeed.  USD as a program right now is above where SDSU was when they began their transition.  SDSU is beginning to find success so in three years USD may very well be doing just as well as SDSU is now.    
    Gotta throw a flag here. Pot calling the kettle black for sure. There is NO WAY you can make a statement about USDs readiness to make the transition as compared to ours. No comparison in my mind. USD is playing in a completely different league than we were, completely different. Before you go accusing us of being biased appreciate the fact that you seem completely unwilling to admit the fact that DII and the NCC changed in such a fashion over the last 5 years that it is no longer relevant to even discuss these two teams in that light.

Facts are facts, SDSU has 5 straight wins over teams ranked in the top 25 at the IAA level. 2 losses against teams in the top 10 and a blowout victory over a team that stomped USD. USD gave up 44 points to Mankato. I'd stick to the yote board and the high hopes there if you want sympathy.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree with jackmd about making a comparison between SDSU and USD in regards to where they were at when making the transition.

USD does deserve credit for having some success! But there isn't a way that you can compare it to SDSU a few years back. The main reason is that the current NCC is a shadow of its former self. When NDSU, SDSU, and UNC left it took a major presence away from the conference. If those schools were still in the NCC it would push USD back down to the middle of the pack at best.

I worry that USD is using this artificial sense of accomplishment as one of the justifications for moving up!

Again, not saying "screw the U" but "the U is screwed"! A brutal decsion for them and there isn't a clear answer!

Good luck to the 'Yotes!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
        I agree with jackmd about making a comparison between SDSU and USD in regards to where they were at when making the transition.  

USD does deserve credit for having some success!  But there isn't a way that you can compare it to SDSU a few years back.  The main reason is that the current NCC is a shadow of its former self.  When NDSU, SDSU, and UNC left it took a major presence away from the conference.  If those schools were still in the NCC it would push USD back down to the middle of the pack at best.

I worry that USD is using this artificial sense of accomplishment as one of the justifications for moving up!

Again, not saying "screw the U" but "the U is screwed"!  A brutal decsion for them and there isn't a clear answer!

Good luck to the 'Yotes!

SUPERBUNNY
        SUPERBUNNY:

You are absolutely correct on every point in your assessment. I couldn't have said it better!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

USD's new nickname if the D-1 move fails: The Savannah State of the Plains

SUPERBUNNY'S right: "the U is screwed" The harsh fact of the matter is that USD screwed themselves when they refused to get the NCC to go D-1 as a conference and they did absolutely nothing to ensure the long-term viability of the NCC. Instead, USD thought they were on the right track as they replaced three good schools with three crummy schools on their schedule and "suddenly" ended up having back-to-back 9-2 seasons and a conference co-title. The coaching change was needed, but that's only half of the reason the 'Yotes imroved on the gridiron.

Good luck, Coyote_Fan, when USD declares it will move up to D-1. They are going to need a lot of money and a healthy dose of luck to make the move work. (Unless UND already has got your two schools into the BS Conference and its Montana-backed subsidy program : : :)

Comment

Check out the list of Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting's clients.

http://www.icac.us/clients.htm

Did the U find their name, scratched on a bathroom stall door? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by More_Cowbell
              Check out the list of Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting's clients.

http://www.icac.us/clients.htm

Did the U find their name, scratched on a bathroom stall door? ;D

I would be a little nervous taking recommendations from a firm that hadn't updated their client listing since July 1 2002 (see bottom of their listing). They are at least 4 years behind the curve.......But then come to think of it.......so is usdII!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Somebody may have posted this already but I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I would post it up here. The argus leader has a editorial called "First step up for USD: Finding Funding"

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...ES01/611100314

Show me the money!

University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott has to be saying that to himself over and over.

Show me the money!

Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting, hired by the university to study a move from Division II to Division I athletics, has recommended USD move up a notch, following South Dakota State University.

The highlighted part would imply to me that USD is currently down a notch since they have to move up a notch to follow us.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                  USD screwed themselves when they refused to get the NCC to go D-1 as a conference and they did absolutely nothing to ensure the long-term viability of the NCC.
                  I was the understanding that when it was voted on to have the NCC move up to DI, the four schools that voted in favor of it was UNC, SDSU, NDSU and USD.
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente
                    Somebody may have posted this already but I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I would post it up here. The argus leader has a editorial called "First step up for USD: Finding Funding"

Show me the money!

University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott has to be saying that to himself over and over.

Show me the money!

Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting, hired by the university to study a move from Division II to Division I athletics, has recommended USD move up a notch, following South Dakota State University.

The highlighted part would imply to me that USD is currently down a notch since they have to move up a notch to follow us.
                    Spoke to a couple of USD grads and supporters yesterday. Abbott was at one of their "functions" Monday night and he assured them that the money is in place. For whatever thats worth. These guys seem pretty reliable but they don't have anymore than Abbott's word. They assured me we would all hear about it next month.

Abbott seems to have a pretty good track record when it comes to securing funds for academics. Athletics is a different story. I await his announcement.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=el_presidente link=1160276853/105#111 date=1163232410]Somebody may have posted this already but I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I would post it up here. The argus leader has a editorial called "First step up for USD: Finding Funding"

Show me the money!

Show me the money!

Spoke to a couple of USD grads and supporters yesterday.  Abbott was at one of their "functions" Monday night and he assured them that the money is in place.  For whatever thats worth.  These guys seem pretty reliable but they don't have anymore than Abbott's word.  They assured me we would all hear about it next month.

Abbott seems to have a pretty good track record when it comes to securing funds for academics.  Athletics is a different story.  I await his announcement.[/quote]

Thanks Jack MD for this post. I have never heard even a wisper from Abbott or even a rumor about what he has been thinking lately. If he addressed the idea that the funding would be in place that pretty much tells you right there the way he is leaning on the D1 issue. He probably wouldn't say that if they were staying D2. I am guessing the funding is either coming from a big donor (Sanford) or combination of them or there is a significant portion coming from a sponer or sponcers.
                      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                      X