This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Is all I have to say is that news about USD really has no impact on SDSU after today.  If USD gets into the GWFC, it will not impact SDSU at all.  If SDSU leaves the GWFC, then this is also news to USD and they should know about it.  If SDSU gets into the Mid-Con and leaves the Independent world, then this is also news that USD needs to know about because it will impact USD as well as SDSU.  If USD were to get into the Big Sky, it would have no impact upon SDSU.

-)
    you sure do spend a lot of time talking about a school that has no impact on you.

Comment

Originally posted by juice

Is all I have to say is that news about USD really has no impact on SDSU after today. If USD gets into the GWFC, it will not impact SDSU at all. If SDSU leaves the GWFC, then this is also news to USD and they should know about it. If SDSU gets into the Mid-Con and leaves the Independent world, then this is also news that USD needs to know about because it will impact USD as well as SDSU. If USD were to get into the Big Sky, it would have no impact upon SDSU.

-)
      you sure do spend a lot of time talking about a school that has no impact on you.
      We get bored sometimes . . . ;D
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://www.winona.edu/athletics/mbas...tats/xlive.htm

Looks like our junior University to the south is done with basketball for year.

UN-Kearney 95

USD 91
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2788328

The USD women didn't fare any better, falling to Concordia-St. Paul 82-74 yesterday despite living in Grand Forks for nearly a week........ol' Chadwick outsmarted himself again......

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
            http://www.winona.edu/athletics/mbasketball/livestats/xlive.htm

Looks like our junior University to the south is done with basketball for year.

UN-Kearney 95

USD 91
            Yeah, Kearney will do that to you . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Coach Margenthaler's MSU-Mankato has advanced to the championship game of the North Central Region versus the winner of UNK/Winona State.

Comment

Hey, USD fans! Weren't you among the ones that said that SDSU would never get a sniff of the posteseason once we moved up to D-I? I hear that ol' Chadwick will be helping out with the big crow feed down in Verminville on Saturday night while Frost Arena will be rocking!!

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                  Hey, USD fans! Weren't you among the ones that said that SDSU would never get a sniff of the posteseason once we moved up to D-I? I hear that ol' Chadwick will be helping out with the big crow feed down in Verminville on Saturday night while Frost Arena will be rocking!!
                  Chad probably won't have to work to hard. usd2 will probably have poor attendance at a crow feed also. Heck, SDSU gets more turnout on a fan board waiting to find out when they play than usd2 gets for actual game attendance.

Comment

;D ;D

Comment

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2788328

The USD women didn't fare any better, falling to Concordia-St. Paul 82-74 yesterday despite living in Grand Forks for nearly a week........ol' Chadwick outsmarted himself again......
                      I thought ole Chadwick would be able to figure out a way to beat Concordia, even if we were without two of our best players. This one has to sting.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                        [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1164864014/90#93 date=1173594031]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2788328

I thought ole Chadwick would be able to figure out a way to beat Concordia, even if we were without two of our best players. This one has to sting.[/quote]

usd2 has a best player. WHO?

Comment

I don't think this is smack, but I wanted to bring up some points about USD's move to D-1.  USD and UND have both stated that it was better to wait for the XDSU's to blaze their trail and to follow that trail.  I agree with following the model laid out by the XDSU's, but they can't replicate every move that the XDSU's made.

SDSU and NDSU made a commitment to each other that they were partners in the move to D-1.  They made it known to potential conferences that they had to take both institutions.  I have not heard the UXD's make any public statements that they are a package deal.  One of the reasons may be the mascot issue with UND.  USD may think twice about being tied to the hip with a university that is in a law suit with the NCAA over the Sioux name.  Some conferences have already stated that it is in their by-laws not to schedule Out Of Conference games with Universities with offensive mascots.  It may be in USD's best interest not to be aligned with UND because of this issue.  So this is one example of the UXD's not following the XDSU's trail.

NDSU and SDSU realized early on that each university was losing their old rival and that they needed to make a new rivalry.  So they came up with the Dakota Marker game.  The Dakota Marker was used to separate North Dakota from South Dakota and it helped kick start the rivalry.  It was in the paper as both universities met at the border and unveiled the trophy for the press to spread the word of a new rivalry in D-1.  Again, I don't see the UXD's creating any real rivalry.  I believe that they think the old rivalry's will resume with the XDSU's once they reach the transition phase.  But a rivalry take two sides and if the XDSU's don't want to renew the rivalry, then the UXD's will not have any rivalry.  The UXD's need to start their own rivalry if they are going to follow the XDSU's model.

NDSU and SDSU were very pro-active in their seach for conferences.  They felt that if they did not have a conference, that they should make their own conference to help with the scheduling difficulties that Independent teams have at the D-1 level.  So the XDSU's were very active in starting the Great West Football Conference, the Basketball Alliance and a new Wrestling Conference.  This showed established conferences that the XDSU's were very pro-active and this made them attractive to the Mid-Con and Gateway Conferences.  I don't see or have not heard the UXD's putting together any conference alliances.

So as you can see, the UXD's have stated that they want to emulate the XDSU's model, but other than announcing their intent to go D-1, I have not seen anything that would make me believe they are following the XDSU's model.  I think the UXD's will eventually find conferences and will eventually have some moderate success at the D-1 level, but it will take them longer than the XDSU's.

It is good to be a Rabbit or a Bison!!!

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

NorCalJack: Your mind is being read on the USD message board on the subject of the UXDs emulating NDSU and SDSU in teaming up for the transition:

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com...ead=1175006552

Comment

USD and UND competed for the Sitting Bull Trophy for over 40 years. It was retired a few years ago for obvious reasons. The rivalry has existed on these two campuses for many, many years. No need to formulate something that already exists.

BTW, congratulations to you women's BBall team. They represented the state proudly.

Comment

Big Sky comminsioner

http://www.bigskyconf.com/article.asp?articleid=84834

Q: Two schools that were talked about as possible members of the Big Sky – North Dakota State and South Dakota State – have joined the Gateway Conference for football and the Mid-Continent for other sports. Why do you think the Presidents of the Big Sky schools opted not to invite these schools to join?
                                A: Location, location, location - North Dakota State University and South Dakota State University were very attractive to everyone in our league, they simply live a long ways away from our current members. And, I believe it was not only the travel concerns that bothered the Presidents. Conferences who have broken apart in the past, have always broken when long distances were involved. I think there was an underlying concern that expanding the league to the Dakotas may in the long run weaken the ties within our existing members.
                                Not a good sign for the 'yotes.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X