This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

The signature is great. Yogi Berra could not have come up with that one.

I can not believe that they had to settle for D2 tournaments. How much will they get from Mankato in guarentee money?

Will they be taking a bus to West Texas. In December barring no surprise Southwest blizzard it would be nice sunny bus ride.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Let's pull it apart, shall we?

D-I Counters:
      at Cornell
      at Cincinatti
      at Notre Dame
      at New Orleans

Non-D-I Counters:
      at UND
      UND
      at SIU-E
      at Seattle
      at SIU-E
      at Seattle
      at Independent tournament, Grand Forks (2 games)

Non-D-I away games at:
      Post University at Mankato
      Chowan at Mankato
      at West Texas A&M Tournament, 2 games
      at Palm Beach Atlantic

Home games (all non-D-I):
      Graceland
      Chadron State
      Mayville State
      Dana
      Minnesota-Duluth
      Midland Lutheran
      Southwest Minnesota St.
      St. Olaf
      Valley City State
      William Penn
      Mt. Marty
      Lake Erie
      Wow, its questionable if thats any better than the women's...

Comment

If anyone is interested in the Graceland website, I found it here. It is located in Tiffin, Iowa. Short road trip for Graceland. I don't think the parents of the Graceland students will allow them to stay over night. They need to be in bed by 8 PM. LOL!!! Nice schedule.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Holy moses that's a terrible schedule...anyone know exactly how many D-3 teams they are playing? I know St. Olaf is one....not sure of any others.

That is just plain embarrassing.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            7,800 or so at the Dome, according to USD. That means there were somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 people there. Take away the usual USD freebie quotient and probably 1,500 to 3,000 were paying customers.
            There is a simple answer for everything. This from the Volante:

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...mlemailedition

The last paragraph of the article:

"The university also gave every family who checked in Saturday two free tickets for the football game against St. Ambrose. They also received two tickets for the tailgating party before the game."
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I know it is tough to come up with good games during transition... but could someone please give me one reason it is possible for it to be THAT BAD?

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                If anyone is interested in the Graceland website, I found it here. It is located in Tiffin, Iowa. Short road trip for Graceland. I don't think the parents of the Graceland students will allow them to stay over night. They need to be in bed by 8 PM. LOL!!! Nice schedule.
                Love it NCJ! For the rest of you posters, check out his link. Rep points for you tonight. After pre-school they eventually get to Graceland University in Lamoni IA, with about 2,300 students, competing in NAIA. And now they can add to their resume by pointing out they are playing a D-I university...whoopee. That's probably one of the exciting games Boots had in mind in his quote.

Comment

For comparison here is SDSU's first year schedule:

Butler at Indianapolis, Ind.
                  Manhattan at Riverdale, N.Y.
                  Mayville State (N.D.) Frost Arena
                  Illinois-Chicago at Chicago, Ill.
                  Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Milwaukee, Wisc.
                  Southeast Missouri State at Cape Girardeau, Mo.
                  Marquette at Milwaukee, Wisc.
                  Denver at Denver, Colo.
                  Michigan Tech Frost Arena
                  Tennessee State at Nashville, Tenn.

SDSU Burger King Classic
                  Wanye State (Neb.) Frost Arena
                  Wanye State (Mich.) Frost Arena

San Diego State at San Diego, Calif.
                  Buena Vista (Neb.) Frost Arena
                  North Dakota State Frost Arena
                  UMKC at Kansas City, Mo.
                  Morningside Frost Arena
                  Bellevue (Neb.) Frost Arena
                  Arkansas State at Jonesboro, Ark.
                  Winona State (Minn.) Frost Arena
                  Upper Iowa Frost Arena
                  Southwest Minnesota State Frost Arena
                  Colorado at Boulder, Colo.

National Independent Tournament
                  Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras at Fort Meyes, Fla.
                  North Dakota State at Fort Myers, Fla.
                  Puerto Rico-Bayamon at Fort Myers, Fla.

Central Florida at Orlando, Fla.
                  North Dakota State at Fargo, N.D.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    Didn't look at the thread, but I believe they are coached by a former Mt. Marty player, Coach Quinn. They have played in Yankton against the Mount and I believe Mt. Marty handled them easily and the Mount was not that tough...

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                      I know it is tough to come up with good games during transition... but could someone please give me one reason it is possible for it to be THAT BAD?
                      1. Because it is usd.

They believe by scheduling opponents they can boyhandle that it automatically makes them a great team. They havn't figured it out before and they won't figure it out now.

Comment

The cool thing for USD is that this P.O.S. schedule won't affest their attendance a lick!

They will find a way to announce that they had one more fan in the stands this year than we did in our first transition year!!!

Now the dollars coming in, that my friends is a much different story.

Should be an exciting year of basketball in the world's largest septic tank!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I'm not one to pull out the "double standard" card quickly, but this schedule would have been ridiculed endlessly had SDSU brought out that garbage after announcing we were going D1. That's a horrible schedule for a Junior High team. How, as the athletic department, look any donor in the eye after the schedules they've produced so far. As sad as it is to say, their football schedule is the best so far! I'm almost embarrassed for them. Almost.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                            I'm not one to pull out the "double standard" card quickly, but this schedule would have been ridiculed endlessly had SDSU brought out that garbage after announcing we were going D1. That's a horrible schedule for a Junior High team. How, as the athletic department, look any donor in the eye after the schedules they've produced so far. As sad as it is to say, their football schedule is the best so far! I'm almost embarrassed for them. Almost.
                            I don't know how they can look their players in the eye, the seniors in particlar. That is just a pathetic effort.

Comment

Maybe wrong but I think there are 8 NAIA schools on the schdule. I know Mount Marty is NAIA Div 2.

Comment

Anybody have any predictions for the USD-UNI game on saturday?

I think the game stays close into the second half. Then with 5:21 left in the third quarter, and the game tied at 14,the Northern Iowa coaches (realizing they have a game on their hands) decide to take the 2007 UNI intramural flag football championship runners up out of the game and replace them with their actual players. Northern Iowa then goes on 314-0 run to close out the game. Final score UNI 328- USD 14.

In his post game press conference, Ed Meierkort emphatically defends his postion that fcs is not much of a step up from division 2 citing the fact that they hung with them until the end of the third quarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X