X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    That SDSU transistion and schedules were not pretty either.
    Nidaros: There is ABSOLUTELY no comparison between the first-year transition schedule for the SDSU women's team and the USD schedule just released.

USD is playing three "notable" teams: Colorado State, University of Northern Iowa, and UNC. SDSU played (in the same first year) Rutgers, Kentucky, Oregon State, University of Southern California, Purdue, Oklahoma State, Middle Tennessee State, Alabama, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Wisconsin-Green Bay. That's 10-3. And the only one of the three with real Division I credentials on the USD schedule is UNC. We didn't play Colorado State the first year, but whipped them badly in two other outings later.

And I'll defend Coyote Fan's comments. I don't believe he represents everybody, but I believe that a majority of the true USD women's basketball fans are absolutely embarrassed by the schedule.

We did schedule some pretty inferior teams in January and February (all of the big ones came before the first of the year). We had no choice at that time...and USD has pretty much the same problem, except that now the Independents are aware of the logic of playing each other in those months (thanks to SDSU and NDSU, who got the whole thing organized), so they at least have games in those month.

And I second the statement that it is embarrassing for them to go play two NAIA schools on their own floor...almost as embarassing as forcing their football teams to bus 2,000 miles to play a Division II school in South Carolina. I would have opted for an open date rather than subject my players to such an ordeal (and hit my budget for all the costs with no reimbursement!). That is absolutely insane (and I wonder how prospective recruits will look at that treatment, sure to be pointed out by competing recruiters.) I honestly feel sorry for the football team, and for the women's basketball players.

Comment

Nidaros,

If you have been reading my comments for years you should know how much I have stood up for USD in the past. I have said more positive things than negative things. It's just that the negative things are all that anyone ever remembers. Am I purposely being negative or just being flat out honest without bias. I think it's real hard for people to look at what is perceived to be negative comments as just simply being honest. So many people worry about offending people by speaking the truth. If people get offended maybe that's actually a good thing. Maybe it will act as more of a wake up call. If you are reading this as a USD fan or a neutral observer you can take two approaches. You can just isolate me as a scapegoat or you can look at USD's schedule and tell me if my comments are warranted. I will always be more than happy to explain anything that I write. If I being unfair in my comments I certainly want to know. I don't think I am being unfair at all. If USD's fans want to accept this schedule and blow it off to one excuse or another it's really accepting substandards. I don't easily accept what IMHO I don't believe in. If USD people don't like what I say than maybe they should not do things that are bound to cause critisism.
      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Coyote Fan and Jacks#1fan, you both made your points and I will let them stand.

For Coyote Fan's information, I have always been a SDSU fan. I once had dream of attending USD in order to take advantage of their accounting degree program. But when you live 10 blocks from the SDSU campus, and your father who was foreign born and has no concept of higher education other than he had none, its next to impossible to convince him to cosign for a bank student loan. The loan programs that are available today were non-existent back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. I never have enbraced but rather resented that haughty attitude that comes from the USD community, but I do respect USD as South Dakota's second instittuion. Some of the USD accounting grads my age have much more to show for than I do, but money does not buy happiness, so I will settle with pride of my BS in Economics from SDSU that only offered six semester hours of accounting, but I hardly hate USD. I do resent the protectiveness about offering accounting courses at the other five state institutions. The Regents have made progress in this area, as SDSU now offers in the neighborhood of 24 hours of accounting.

I consider my living at home during my student days equivalent to any of our full ride scholarships available today. I have no regrets.

What happens at USD during their transitition really does not matter to me, but I am taking the position of the staff guy at USD who had to get on the telephone to schedule these games with budget constraints and tried to get the most competitive schedule available. Games are not often scheduled without guarentee and travel cost considerations. It could not have been an easy task. Life is full of crappy jobs, and this is one of them, I would tend to think. Everyone he/she contacted probably were not interested in being on the USD schedule. I think the people who were responsible for putting the schedule together did not have an easy job, and thats basically what I am saying. As Jack#1fan pointed out the football team is taking a long long bus ride this fall I believe on Nov 1. That in itself tells you that who ever is managing the finances has not much to manage or he is indeed incompetent in his job skills.

AD Nielsens telephone should be ringing, and I hope Coyote Fan has his number.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 08-26-2008, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Just a P.S. to my earlier comments on this thread. USD has obviously taken a different approach to scheduling, especially for the women's team they have returning. The coach on the phone could have contacted the same large schools that SDSU scheduled in their first year. A national championship in Division I opened the doors. The USD finish in second last year would have opened the same doors.

The USD scheduling is obviously slanted at having a winning record, and not risking a dreadful season. That's No Risk, No Reward. We risked and were rewarded. But we won't know if the choice (and I do believe it was a choice, not a happenstance of not being able to line up early games against tougher competition) is the right one for them until a few years down the road. In USD's defense, I would note that NDSU's women chose a similar route in their first year. Maybe I shouldn't do that, as it hasn't worked out very well for NDSU so far.

Comment

But we won't know if the choice (and I do believe it was a choice, not a happenstance of not being able to line up early games against tougher competition) is the right one for them until a few years down the road.
            I agree wholeheartedly #1. I think this is going to be the most interesting part of USD's transition. We have seen the high risk, high reward strategy pay off for many of our sports teams and we have seen it fail miserably for one in general. NDSU went this way with their mens bball and it can be argued that they shied away from it in football. Both have turned out very well for them.

Scheduling and how it plays out will be the only thing I will pay attention to in regards to USD and their transition.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Because I don't remember, didn't USD announce their move much later in the academic year than SDSU? I think SDSU did it in July & USD did it April. The next years schedule had been set for both, but the USD would have been late in the game for the following year. Not trying to make an excuse, but just wondering if the decision process may have had an inordinate impact on this year. As always, I look to this board to correct my faulty memory.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Just a P.S. to my earlier comments on this thread. USD has obviously taken a different approach to scheduling, especially for the women's team they have returning. The coach on the phone could have contacted the same large schools that SDSU scheduled in their first year. A national championship in Division I opened the doors. The USD finish in second last year would have opened the same doors.

The USD scheduling is obviously slanted at having a winning record, and not risking a dreadful season. That's No Risk, No Reward. We risked and were rewarded. But we won't know if the choice (and I do believe it was a choice, not a happenstance of not being able to line up early games against tougher competition) is the right one for them until a few years down the road. In USD's defense, I would note that NDSU's women chose a similar route in their first year. Maybe I shouldn't do that, as it hasn't worked out very well for NDSU so far.
                I think I am in total agreement here and perhaps its time for me to stop being a USD apologetic.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Let's crank up the smack. USD plays the mighty, buzzy St. Ambrose Bees tonight (St. Ambrose: We're tiny and annoying, and we'll sting you and then die on the field.) That pathetic season opener is chock full of built-in smacky potential.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Let's crank up the smack. USD plays the mighty, buzzy St. Ambrose Bees tonight (St. Ambrose: We're tiny and annoying, and we'll sting you and then die on the field.) That pathetic season opener is chock full of built-in smacky potential.

The Argus story today says that St Ambrose has played in the NAIA playoffs and lost to a team that USF beat so I dont see an upset by St Ambrose. An upset would be news if it happened. Its definitely an euphoria builder. All I know is that St Ambrose is the alma mater for the late mayor and teacher at Brookings High School, Wayne Hauschild. Mr. Hauschild was very proud of St. Ambrose so will be pulling for them.

Comment

According to the Argus, 52-0 for USD. Read Mick Garry's blog, 5 guys were suspended this week due to violation of team rules. Hmmm whats the real story here. Party time at USD.

I did not waste my time posting links, if you really care, go to the Argus site.

Comment

7,800 or so at the Dome, according to USD. That means there were somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 people there. Take away the usual USD freebie quotient and probably 1,500 to 3,000 were paying customers.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          7,800 or so at the Dome, according to USD. That means there were somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 people there. Take away the usual USD freebie quotient and probably 1,500 to 3,000 were paying customers.
                          Most likely less than a few hundred who really care.

Comment

I'd bet a large sum of money that there were not more than 2000 paying customers in the dump last night.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Using coyote math, does this mean there's going to be about 25k at CAS Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                I'd bet a large sum of money that there were not more than 2000 paying customers in the dump last night.

Since the dump is considered Cough-Lin Alumni you were definately right about that. In the Dakotadome there were probably at least 2K paying but probably not really 7,500+ in attandance.

At the real dump in Brookings they count misquitos and flies which really ups the attandance by hundreds of thousands.
                                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                                X