Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USeD

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    Doc, we certainly disagree at times but I have always respected your posts for the most part because they are thought out and have substance. But this argument that beating SDSU will make our season a success is a bunch of crap and you know it. I for one am majorly disappointed with our season. I am almost in shock. I never underestimated the Valley because I had been to Illinois State and NDSU the past couple of years so I knew what was coming. Although I knew we weren't ready to compete for a playoff spot, I did think we were better than 2-3 teams. That isn't proving true.Your fans want to beat us as bad as anyone, and you know it. I work daily with Jack fans and they are salivating for 11-17. The only thing a USD win would do is take a finite amount of sting to what has been a rotten season. For your kids sake I hope thy keep winning. But don't let down your guard that last game or We will beat your ass. That would be a tough pill to swallow
    Sure looked like the season was considered a success when the USD men's bball team beat SDSU last year
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
      Sure looked like the season was considered a success when the USD men's bball team beat SDSU last year
      I was in Frost when you beat us and if you don't think you celebrated you're nuts. You guys pummeled us in Brookings. How often does a team that does that get beat in the rematch? Almost never. FWIW, when we beat Eastern Washington last year in football, there was a celebration. Go on, keep thinking this isn't a rivalry, because as soon as you do, that's when a 1-9 team will knock you out of the playoffs.

Comment

I was in Frost when you beat us and if you don't think you celebrated you're nuts. You guys pummeled us in Brookings. How often does a team that does that get beat in the rematch? Almost never. FWIW, when we beat Eastern Washington last year in football, there was a celebration. Go on, keep thinking this isn't a rivalry, because as soon as you do, that's when a 1-9 team will knock you out of the playoffs.
        Did we rush the court and act like we won the summit league championship? Uhh... No. In fact, I laughed more than anything. I never said this isn't a rivalry, but I'd rather have USD be a terrible team than a good team. I wouldn't mind actually if all USD had to look forward to every year is beating SDSU than actually winning conference games and/or making the playoffs/tournament. Keep worrying about just beating SDSU every year, while we worry about winning games and making the playoffs.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          Did we rush the court and act like we won the summit league championship? Uhh... No. In fact, I laughed more than anything. I never said this isn't a rivalry, but I'd rather have USD be a terrible team than a good team. I wouldn't mind actually if all USD had to look forward to every year is beating SDSU than actually winning conference games and/or making the playoffs/tournament. Keep worrying about just beating SDSU every year, while we worry about winning games and making the playoffs.
          I'll do that witness

Comment

I guess I find the idea that USD fans will see the season as a success if they beat SDSU kind of silly. All of the USD fans I know are absolutely freaked out about the failures this year and very, very disappointed in their team. They sat through a humiliating beating at the hands of NDSU only to turn around and get hammered by ISU. I tend to think Yoteforever has a pretty good handle on things at USD. Would a win at SDSU help? Sure. But I can't imagine any fan being happy with a 2-9 year.

I do find it funny that after last year when I suggested that USD was losing a lot from their team, 22 seniors, etc., a couple of USD fans here poo-pooed that idea and told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Well... What do you think now?
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

yoteforever is a good guy one who enjoys the banter. What comes up often comes down. I am referring to the Jackrabbit euphoria after Saturdays win. We should worry about USD the week of 11/17. Stigs good friend and former assistant at NSU Dale Lennon, is the guy who currently is on my mind. SIU looks to be tough opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Good points on USD's success. If the MVFC expects to have several playoff spots each year, we need all teams in position to win the out-of-conference games and then show in-conference that each team is a great football team in spite of its win/loss record.
                I don't subscribe to this theory.

The CAA gets a handful of teams into the playoffs every year. How? The top of their conference is very good, the bottom is not good. They have 4 teams who could end the season with 8 wins. 8 win teams will almost always get in over 7 win teams.

See also: SEC. 4/14 teams have losing overall records. 3 teams haven't won a game all season, and they will have at least 7 teams bowl eligible.

See also: Big 10(12). There are only 3 teams with a losing record. 4 teams might be bowl eligible (if they were all eligible to play in a bowl). Minnesota is the worst team in their division, and has a chance to be bowl eligible.

The SEC is widely accepted as the best conference in college football, not because the league is tough from top to bottom, but because otherwise average teams pad their win column by beating up Ole Miss and Kentucky every year.

Looking at the MVFC, the worst 5 teams are Missouri St (3-3), YSU (1-4), UNI (1-4), WIU (1-4), and USD (0-5). I think 4 of those 5 could beat anyone on any given Saturday.

Conversely, Kentucky has no prayer against Alabama.

In other words, if the MVFC wants to have 3-4 teams good enough to be eligible for the playoffs, they need to have at least as many teams who finish the season with 1 win or less in conference play.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  I guess I find the idea that USD fans will see the season as a success if they beat SDSU kind of silly. All of the USD fans I know are absolutely freaked out about the failures this year and very, very disappointed in their team. They sat through a humiliating beating at the hands of NDSU only to turn around and get hammered by ISU. I tend to think Yoteforever has a pretty good handle on things at USD. Would a win at SDSU help? Sure. But I can't imagine any fan being happy with a 2-9 year.I do find it funny that after last year when I suggested that USD was losing a lot from their team, 22 seniors, etc., a couple of USD fans here poo-pooed that idea and told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Well... What do you think now?
                  I think you had a good idea of what you were talking about, that's what I think now. And 1-10 or 2-9 makes zero difference in my mind, either one sucks. The only thing positive that would come out of a win over the Jacks is it might help in in-state recruiting, but then again, maybe not. 2-9 is 2-9. I was in Terre Haute for the game and we simply looked horrible. I did have the opportunity to watch your game on ESPN 3 on an iPad and you looked great. Sometimes I think I'm getting to old for this ****. Lol

Comment

Doc, we certainly disagree at times but I have always respected your posts for the most part because they are thought out and have substance. But this argument that beating SDSU will make our season a success is a bunch of crap and you know it. I for one am majorly disappointed with our season. I am almost in shock. I never underestimated the Valley because I had been to Illinois State and NDSU the past couple of years so I knew what was coming. Although I knew we weren't ready to compete for a playoff spot, I did think we were better than 2-3 teams. That isn't proving true.Your fans want to beat us as bad as anyone, and you know it. I work daily with Jack fans and they are salivating for 11-17. The only thing a USD win would do is take a finite amount of sting to what has been a rotten season. For your kids sake I hope thy keep winning. But don't let down your guard that last game or We will beat your ass. That would be a tough pill to swallow
                    I should have qualified my post by excluding guys like YF. In fact, I should have been more specific. The circle of USD fans I interact with on a daily basis have been anticipating the Nov 17th game above all others this year. 2 of those individuals are former USD players, neither have attended a game in 20 years but both will be attending the game at CAS. Its a huge deal for them and they want nothing more from this season than a victory over the Jackrabbits, nothing. There are also Jackrabbit fans that feel the same way, those fans are the ones I have the least respect for (not that they covet my respect).

Its a rivalry game but its still just 1 game on the schedule and it only matters the week of that game. Billboards and newspaper adds are not necessary a year before the game is played. Case in point, almost every coyote fan I talked to asked me who beat the Bison this year and who beat the team that beat the Bison. They had no idea. Of course, the Jackrabbits beat the team that beat the Bison that just crushed the coyotes. Admittedly, I have an illness as it pertains to Jackrabbit athletics and those people are normal.

A victory at CAS is all that matters to a large contingent of coyote fans, that is a fact.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I should have qualified my post by excluding guys like YF. In fact, I should have been more specific. The circle of USD fans I interact with on a daily basis have been anticipating the Nov 17th game above all others this year. 2 of those individuals are former USD players, neither have attended a game in 20 years but both will be attending the game at CAS. Its a huge deal for them and they want nothing more from this season than a victory over the Jackrabbits, nothing. There are also Jackrabbit fans that feel the same way, those fans are the ones I have the least respect for (not that they covet my respect).

Its a rivalry game but its still just 1 game on the schedule and it only matters the week of that game. Billboards and newspaper adds are not necessary a year before the game is played. Case in point, almost every coyote fan I talked to asked me who beat the Bison this year and who beat the team that beat the Bison. They had no idea. Of course, the Jackrabbits beat the team that beat the Bison that just crushed the coyotes. Admittedly, I have an illness as it pertains to Jackrabbit athletics and those people are normal.

A victory at CAS is all that matters to a large contingent of coyote fans, that is a fact.
                      The fact that there are former players that live right in the immediate area that haven't been to a game in 20 years speaks volumes about loyalty to the program and the school. It's no wonder that the general fan base isn't very active.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        I don't subscribe to this theory.

The CAA gets a handful of teams into the playoffs every year. How? The top of their conference is very good, the bottom is not good. They have 4 teams who could end the season with 8 wins. 8 win teams will almost always get in over 7 win teams.

See also: SEC. 4/14 teams have losing overall records. 3 teams haven't won a game all season, and they will have at least 7 teams bowl eligible.

See also: Big 10(12). There are only 3 teams with a losing record. 4 teams might be bowl eligible (if they were all eligible to play in a bowl). Minnesota is the worst team in their division, and has a chance to be bowl eligible.

The SEC is widely accepted as the best conference in college football, not because the league is tough from top to bottom, but because otherwise average teams pad their win column by beating up Ole Miss and Kentucky every year.

Looking at the MVFC, the worst 5 teams are Missouri St (3-3), YSU (1-4), UNI (1-4), WIU (1-4), and USD (0-5). I think 4 of those 5 could beat anyone on any given Saturday.

Conversely, Kentucky has no prayer against Alabama.

In other words, if the MVFC wants to have 3-4 teams good enough to be eligible for the playoffs, they need to have at least as many teams who finish the season with 1 win or less in conference play.

So what you are saying is every conference needs a doormat, and for the MVFC USD is that doormat. Wipe your feet before you come inside.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                          So what you are saying is every conference needs a doormat, and for the MVFC USD is that doormat. Wipe your feet before you come inside.

This year, USD is playing the role of doormat.

However, they lost two conference games by 3 points and were tied with another with about 8 minutes left in the game.

That's a pretty salty doormat. In fact, USD might be the saltiest 1-7 team in America.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            The circle of USD fans I interact with on a daily basis have been anticipating the Nov 17th game above all others this year. 2 of those individuals are former USD players, neither have attended a game in 20 years but both will be attending the game at CAS.

I'm sure I know one of the two former-Coyotes you mentioned here and he started saying that, "the only game that matters is on Nov. 17th" way back in September. I hear that mantra repeated every time we talk!

Comment

There are no longer any taunting USD billboards near Brookings, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                                There are no longer any taunting USD billboards near Brookings, correct?
                                I'm not sure about the "Old friend for dinner" billboards, but I did notice a "Tell the Bison to go roam somewhere else" billboard near Sioux City today. They need to take that down ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                                X