Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD getting new turf

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    Sorry about getting this thread so off-topic with the Rapid City information. (OK, I'm not sorry. Getting off topic is one of my favorite things to do.) I was just trying to poke a little fun at the 'yotes for playing their home games on the road. I doubt that the next exansion of the Rushmore Plaza will look much like the concept drawings. If you note closely, it leaves the Rushmore Plaza without a true basketball arena (I think).
    The Ice Arena they built a few years ago would serve as a Basketball only venue - just like the new Sioux Falls Event Center will have both hockey and basketball in it. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      That's a pretty ambitious project. I hope Rapid City can get it built and definitely agree that it could have big potential for the new home of the highschool football championships. Who would play there during the rest of the fall? They would need to keep a place that like occupied.
      Yeah, I have a feeling parts of the project will be built, but don't see an indoor football team coming in. School of Mines has talked about some updates to their field which the public schools play on as well. But it would be cool if it was. Rapid City has been very pro-active with their Events Center facility and it could still happen.

The reason Rapid City can get this built is because like said its Sioux Falls or Denver or roughly 6 hours. They have had many concerts, events, or other things in their facility. I've made references to it in the past, go by there any weekend and something is going on, not always using the whole facility but quite a few trade shows do occur at the place. They do need parking so I'm betting that will happen.

I have a feeling this might be like what Sioux Falls did, propose something way to big, and then settle for something still good. My guess is they will get the 12-15 seat arena, but not the 20K football dome. They will get the parking, and they will renovate the existing Barnett Arena (the big one where state basketball is) into some type of multi-use convention space.

As far as whoever said Sioux Falls is the only city that has proven to support HS tournaments, or whatever exactly it was, isn't correct. First of all Northern/Aberdeen has proven to host class B basketball. This years AA tournament in Rapid was a joke, but from all reports Wrestling was a success. I asked a coach and he thought it was similar crowds to when it was in Sioux Falls. I've been in Rapid for state A tournament on all 3 nights and the support was well. Not really sure why it wasn't there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        The Ice Arena they built a few years ago would serve as a Basketball only venue - just like the new Sioux Falls Event Center will have both hockey and basketball in it. Right?
        They already play basketball in the arena during the NLI, maybe a few other times during the year, could be wrong.

Comment

As far as the turf (what the thread is about). The way I look at it, and I don't really know this product. But my guess is a non-fill turf won't be great. What makes fieldturf or astroturf long fiber turf is the fill. Its what makes it truer on your feet if that makes sense. When you have cleats on fieldturf they are going into the sand/rubber filler and you are getting that feel as if its dirt. If its not there, won't it go all the way down to the soft pad on the bottom. So essentially its like longer fiber hard astroturf. Could be wrong, but from everything I've known about artificial turf says the reason the fieldturf is gaining popularity is because the filler being used.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            As far as the turf (what the thread is about). The way I look at it, and I don't really know this product. But my guess is a non-fill turf won't be great. What makes fieldturf or astroturf long fiber turf is the fill. Its what makes it truer on your feet if that makes sense. When you have cleats on fieldturf they are going into the sand/rubber filler and you are getting that feel as if its dirt. If its not there, won't it go all the way down to the soft pad on the bottom. So essentially its like longer fiber hard astroturf. Could be wrong, but from everything I've known about artificial turf says the reason the fieldturf is gaining popularity is because the filler being used.
            It beats the hell out of dirt

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              Adjust your hypersensitivity meter.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Adjust your hypersensitivity meter.
                Was meant as a joke, like you all dumping on the Dome. It is the smack section, isn't it?

Comment

Was meant as a joke, like you all dumping on the Dome. It is the smack section, isn't it?
                  Oh. Yeah. Um . . . carry on . . .

(goes off grumbling to adjust own hypersensitivity meter . . . )
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Oh. Yeah. Um . . . carry on . . . (goes off grumbling to adjust own hypersensitivity meter . . . )
                    Lol....love it

Comment

Frozen dirt in November? Yes. Yes it does.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                      X