Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD getting new turf

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    No, I am saying that one of the quintessential appearances of the biggest musical icon in history had a concert in Rapid City. This was part of a CBS special that Elvis signed months before he died. Dickinson would not have been on anyone's radar for that kind of event.
    So RC hasnt been relavent since Elvis was in town? Sounds a lot like dickinson now. I think rapid could do something but not sure if this is the best they could do.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      So RC hasnt been relavent since Elvis was in town? Sounds a lot like dickinson now. I think rapid could do something but not sure if this is the best they could do.
      You're either misunderstanding or purposely distorting what I've said. The point was that at no time, any time, would Dickinson get an act like a major Elvis show, which was the inaugural show at the Rushmore Civic Center. Bob Dylan is playing in Rapid City in three weeks (and in Sioux Falls and Fargo, but not Dickinson). For whatever reason,. Rapid has gotten top-billed acts since Elvis christened the Rushmore center. Part of it may be the appeal of the Hills, part may be the air base, part of it may be the distance from bigger cities. Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, Rascal Flatts, have been there within the last 18 months. There are off-Broadway shows now scheduled that are usually more prevalent in larger cities.
      Doubt if Dickinson is on any of these circuits.

Comment

Give Rapid City credit for thinking and acting big. Its civic center was the biggest and best facility of its type in the region when it was built, and Rapid City apparently wants to get back to the top. Sioux Falls is thinking and acting too small with its planned 12,000-seat facility. That's not much more than the Sioux Falls Arena originally held when it was built 50 years ago. New turf or not, there's nothing special about the DakotaDome either. It's a mini-FargoDome, which is a mini-Metrodome, which is headed for the scrap heap.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Really? You are comparing Rapid City to Dickinson? Really? Not to be an ass but people come from all over North America to go to RC there is no place in ND that compares to Rapid City and/or the Black Hills
          Location wise from population.....there is taxpayer nightmare written all over this in Rapid City, yes I understand during Sturgis they can pack the place but you honestly think in January they will consistently have these top national acts in, when this day in age it's hard to bring them to Fargo or Sioux Falls and even Omaha, the Elvis thing in 77 is funny though, and then bob Dylan serious, bet your guys didn't know that the promoter who is bringing these acts to the region SF, Bismarck, RC, Aberdeen th hub in Fargo is Jade Presents out of Fargo. Without them there wouldn't be any concerts be cause promoters for the big time acts don't look areas the size of RApid in a location they can't draw people from. Fargo gets lucky because they can host 25k and are really close to Canada and Winnipeg so they get people and NW Minnesota isn't lagging on people, drive 30 miles in any direction of Rapid and it's isolation. 20k of rapids city population going to go to every event. Doubtful
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
            Location wise from population.....there is taxpayer nightmare written all over this in Rapid City, yes I understand during Sturgis they can pack the place but you honestly think in January they will consistently have these top national acts in, when this day in age it's hard to bring them to Fargo or Sioux Falls and even Omaha, the Elvis thing in 77 is funny though, and then bob Dylan serious, bet your guys didn't know that the promoter who is bringing these acts to the region SF, Bismarck, RC, Aberdeen th hub in Fargo is Jade Presents out of Fargo. Without them there wouldn't be any concerts be cause promoters for the big time acts don't look areas the size of RApid in a location they can't draw people from. Fargo gets lucky because they can host 25k and are really close to Canada and Winnipeg so they get people and NW Minnesota isn't lagging on people, drive 30 miles in any direction of Rapid and it's isolation. 20k of rapids city population going to go to every event. Doubtful
            But you just exposed the Dickinson-Rapid City comparison as hyperbole. You did not mention Dickinson in the Fargo-hub grouping.

Comment

Still doesnt make sense, what is going to fill the arena to make it a profit center? Denver is way to close and to stop in Rapid over say SF or Fargo is a joke, todays economy isnt allowing the luxory of huge arenas in every town anymore. ...
              Rapid City is 350 miles from Sioux Falls and 312 miles from Denver. The distance between Rapid City and Fargo (518 miles) is a non-factor. Rapid City is a regional hub in its own right, and the city appears to be in strong enough financial condition to build the facility without problem.
              This space for lease.

Comment

I'm sorry TJ, but you really are showing a lack of understanding. There is a lot more happening in the black hills than the Sturgis bike rally. They wouldn't get 20k to every event, but they would get enough events to make it work, IMO.

Wow, a promoter in Fargo brings acts to the midwest. I'm so impressed, what would we do without Fargo. Get over yourself.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  I'm sorry TJ, but you really are showing a lack of understanding. There is a lot more happening in the black hills than the Sturgis bike rally. They wouldn't get 20k to every event, but they would get enough events to make it work, IMO.

Wow, a promoter in Fargo brings acts to the midwest. I'm so impressed, what would we do without Fargo. Get over yourself.
                  You should never forget that to a Buffalo Chipster, Fargo is the nexxus of the universe. I mean they have a dome, a BWW's (2 even), a Scheel's, a Hooters, lots of Rocky Mountain Oyster feeds, and plenty of sheep in the area to keep all of the men satisfied. What more could a person ever desire. Let's be honest, it's cold up there so just by nature the ladies are a little on the plus-sized up there which I don't mind. It's how homely looking they are that is a buzz kill for me.

Back to the main off topic topic, Rapid City is really doing a nice job in strengthening its position as a regional center. They have really worked hard to attract events to town and have the venues to handle them. It is a long ways to the next regional center (Denver, Billings?, Sioux Falls, Omaha) than Fargo or Sioux Falls are from each other or Minneapolis. They have a natural draw in the Black Hills for people to want to come and spend a few extra days. They have an opportunity to really cash in on that and are taking a run at it. More power too them.

If they could only get a Hooters, a 20,000 seat stadium, and import about they could become the new Fargo!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

BTW- I had someone tell me that the turf in the Dakota Dump was going to be all red, not just lining the side like the link in the second post of this thread shows. Anyone else under that impression?

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      BTW- I had someone tell me that the turf in the Dakota Dump was going to be all red, not just lining the side like the link in the second post of this thread shows. Anyone else under that impression?

SUPERBUNNY
                      I might be wrong, but I think the NCAA has banned the future use of weirdly colored turf. No more Boise State blue, etc.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        I might be wrong, but I think the NCAA has banned the future use of weirdly colored turf. No more Boise State blue, etc.
                        That is incorrect. That is the biggest myth regarding NCAA rules. You may color the field any color of your choosing as long as contrasting colors are used on markings in the end zone, and lines are marked in white.Can't wait till you visit in '13.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          You should never forget that to a Buffalo Chipster, Fargo is the nexxus of the universe. I mean they have a dome, a BWW's (2 even), a Scheel's, a Hooters, lots of Rocky Mountain Oyster feeds, and plenty of sheep in the area to keep all of the men satisfied. What more could a person ever desire. Let's be honest, it's cold up there so just by nature the ladies are a little on the plus-sized up there which I don't mind. It's how homely looking they are that is a buzz kill for me. Back to the main off topic topic, Rapid City is really doing a nice job in strengthening its position as a regional center. They have really worked hard to attract events to town and have the venues to handle them. It is a long ways to the next regional center (Denver, Billings?, Sioux Falls, Omaha) than Fargo or Sioux Falls are from each other or Minneapolis. They have a natural draw in the Black Hills for people to want to come and spend a few extra days. They have an opportunity to really cash in on that and are taking a run at it. More power too them.If they could only get a Hooters, a 20,000 seat stadium, and import about they could become the new Fargo!SUPERBUNNY
                          Ok, this post really upsets me. We have THREE BWWs!!!!!!!

lol

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                            Ok, this post really upsets me. We have THREE BWWs!!!!!!!

lol
                            Lets see, there is the one north of the fabulous fargo, dome, one more on 45th st. I have not discovered the third one unless it the one in Moorhead. The BWW in Brookings is getting close to opening.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 07-30-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Sorry about getting this thread so off-topic with the Rapid City information. (OK, I'm not sorry. Getting off topic is one of my favorite things to do.) I was just trying to poke a little fun at the 'yotes for playing their home games on the road. I doubt that the next exansion of the Rushmore Plaza will look much like the concept drawings. If you note closely, it leaves the Rushmore Plaza without a true basketball arena (I think).
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the Rapid City has a poplulation of 70,000 with the metro area around 125,000. The entire Black Hills region is considered to be 250,000. If you bring in a decent act you will draw from an even larger area which would put it up over 300,000. I don't think 20,000 is a normal attendance figure for many concerts......bring in a great act and they will come.

Comment

Working...
                                X