Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wegher?

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    You are probably correct. Wegher would compete against Minnet and if he demonstrated that he was clearly the better back he would likely get the most snaps. I don't think that will happen.

Stig will not set that precedent. Bringing in transfers and taking starting jobs from guys that have committed 4 or 5 years to the program, not happening at SDSU, happens elsewhere way to often. I can promise you he won't do that and I support him for that decision. That doesn't mean he won't consider allowing a young man who really wants to play for SDSU the opportunity to do so.

So, if you think Stig will open his arms and give Wegher the starting job because he had a good season culminating in a stellar performance in the bowl game, you are wrong. Kyle Minnet is the starting running back for SDSU right now regardless of who might or might not be on the roster this fall.
    Doesn't this go against what Stig has said many, many times: We put the team on the field that we think gives us the best chance to win?

I heard that from him many times last year in regards to the QB situation which was different because not involving a transfer, but he often said that it applied to any players on the team. So if a transfer did end up at SDSU, I don't think it would be different than a freshman coming in and getting playing time over a fourth or fifth year player.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
      Would you still feel that way if Minnet wasn't the stud he is? Minnet is one of the best running backs in the Missour Valley - if he was one of the worst in the league would you still feel this way?
      Doesn't matter how I would feel.

I'm not saying Stig won't replace a program guy. I think he would be unlikely and only occur if the player transferring in is clearly better and proves it in camp. He isn't going to promise a spot to a guy who he has not evaluated in camp. That is my only point.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackfan40 View Post
        He is not coming per TV.

Freshman running back Brandon Wegher is not coming to South Dakota State because he's not leaving Iowa. End of rumor. http://bit.ly/dis5RL
        You have to appreciate TV, as when there is a rumor going around like this, he goes to the source (or at least a parent of the source). Though in all honestly, it wouldn't be wise for Rick or Brandon to do anything but stop the rumor dead in its tracks, even if it did have some true in it, as Brandon still attends (and most likely will continue to attend) the University of Iowa.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          So much for that. Is this thread dead on arrival or can we put on life supports for another 10 pages of meaningless posts.
          No, I think we should try as hard as we can to keep it alive. Maybe it will distract from the generally tedious USD vs. SDSU chest-thumping/d*ck-length-comparing threads (sorry for the language and the possibly very unsettling mental image there). . .

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            Doesn't this go against what Stig has said many, many times: We put the team on the field that we think gives us the best chance to win?

I heard that from him many times last year in regards to the QB situation which was different because not involving a transfer, but he often said that it applied to any players on the team. So if a transfer did end up at SDSU, I don't think it would be different than a freshman coming in and getting playing time over a fourth or fifth year player.
            Perhaps I created some confusion. Stig has said he evaluates players in camp and at practice. They score or grade each player and then, based on that objective information as well as consideration of experience with the system, make a decision about who would be the best player in that position for that weeks game.

I think we have seen guys who get playing time early in their careers not see the field as much in subsequent years because better players enter the program. However, I can't think of a specific situation where Stig has found a guy in transfer and replaced a 3rd or 4th year player simply because the transferring player had success elsewhere.

Take a look at our QB situation this year as an example from this perspective. Whittier, Mondol, Crawford and O'Brien were told they would compete for the spot each year, no guarantees for any of them. They all accepted that initially. The end of the year Stig tells them its O'Brien's job to lose but that each would have a chance to take it and that others would be brought in to compete. No one was promised anything and neither would a guy like Wegher be. I hope that makes some sense.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              No, I think we should try as hard as we can to keep it alive. Maybe it will distract from the generally tedious USD vs. SDSU chest-thumping/d*ck-length-comparing threads (sorry for the language and the possibly very unsettling mental image there). . .

It is kind of annoying that one coyote fan is trying to convince us that a ruler is longer than a yard stick
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                So much for that. Is this thread dead on arrival or can we put on life supports for another 10 pages of meaningless posts.

C'mon Nidaros, lighten up. Any thread that gets us to arguing the advantages of the wing T should be golden for oldies like us.

Comment

U Iowa to SDSU=pipe dream
                  I follow the big ten exclusively, if you got a chance to play, you stay.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                    Then what are you doing on a SDSU fan board if you are exclusively Big Ten?

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                      Yeah, like Lakes exclusively follows the Bison.....

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        C'mon Nidaros, lighten up. Any thread that gets us to arguing the advantages of the wing T should be golden for oldies like us.
                        Well, the wildcat formation could be considered a kind of spread wing t formation . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

So, if you think Stig will open his arms and give Wegher the starting job because he had a good season culminating in a stellar performance in the bowl game, you are wrong.\
                          Did I say that would happen? Don't think I did.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            I have no problem with the discussion of the wing T, my comment was directed more towards subsequent comments about the rumor that was put to bed by TV. There is no substance to rumor, and therefore, not much to talk about. I would have to do some googling to add to the discussion on Wing T, so know very little. I have no problem about others talking football offense here in this theard or any other. In fact it would be an education for me.

To quote military venicular and our Moderator Filbert" Carry on".

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Well, the wildcat formation could be considered a kind of spread wing t formation . . .
                              Wing T aka the triple option run by Georgia Tech.
                              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Then what are you doing on a SDSU fan board if you are exclusively Big Ten?
                                Now I can't wait for his answer

Comment

Working...
                                X