Yackley to transfer from ISU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yackley to transfer from ISU.

Alexis Yackley is on the USD roster for 2009-2010. Also in the team picture.

The ISU press release shown in an earlier post stated that she played in 25 games last year as a Frosh.

I thought an athlete had to sit out a year if they transfered from Div I to Div I. Does the fact that USD is in transition make a difference?

Help me out!

(Sorry about the old thread! - R)

Comment

I would guess she sits a year just like Jill Young did when we were in transition. I think players that are redshirting usually are listed on the roster even though they cannot play. They are still a part of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Alexis Yackley is on the USD roster for 2009-2010. Also in the team picture.

The ISU press release shown in an earlier post stated that she played in 25 games last year as a Frosh.

I thought an athlete had to sit out a year if they transfered from Div I to Div I. Does the fact that USD is in transition make a difference?

Help me out!

(Sorry about the old thread! - R)
        Roy,

If a lady transfers from one Division I program to another AND they are not in the same league, they are elgible immediately. By that I mean at the beginning of the following season. It is different for mens sports, but womens sports allows for one transfer with no penalty. Hope that clarifies it.

YFE

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          Roy,

If a lady transfers from one Division I program to another AND they are not in the same league, they are elgible immediately. By that I mean at the beginning of the following season. It is different for mens sports, but womens sports allows for one transfer with no penalty. Hope that clarifies it.

YFE
          Jill Young had to sit though. I guess it might be because she transfered mid-school year...

Comment

Roy,

YFE
            Not so fast my friend.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uplo...fb5a76fd5b.pdf

Comment

Roy,

YFE
              For college basketball, they don't differ between men's and women's transfers. Pretty sure she will be sitting for the year.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post

Read page 20. If you are an elgible athlete, and play in any other sport other than baseball, football, or hockey, you may use the one time exemption when transferring as long as a few things are met.

1.) The school you leave grants the transfer and waives the NCAA stipulation.

2.) Conference rules don't prohibit transfers from one conference to another. Most conferences waive the right as long as the transferree comes from another league.

3.) The student athlete has met NCAA credentials in terms of progressing towards a degree in a timely fashion.

I can go on with the waivers and stipulations. The only reason I am aware of this is my daughter transferred from a Big 12 school to a Big 10 school and was elgible to play immediately.

The NCAA is a unique entity and what works for some doesn't for others, etc.

Comment

So we are all compliance officers this morning Good luck.

Comment

The girl from Ohio University had to sit out and they were in a different league.

Comment

I think it all depends on whether or not the university the player is leaving grants a release. Sometimes they don't.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                        The girl from Ohio University had to sit out and they were in a different league.
                        That player is Jackie Hiebert, and she did have to sit out a year.

Comment

I'm 99.99999% sure that Yackley will have to sit out. She can receive a scholarship and practice with the team, but can't travel or play in games. Teresa Case transferred from a Division II school to USD and had to sit out a year, also. The current rules say that only a player who transfers from a Division III can play in the year after they transfer. All others, including NAIA, would have to sit out a year unless they haven't played for two years and/or never participated in athletics. The only time a transfer release is relevant is whether or not a player can get a scholarship in the year they transfer. If they don't get released, they will have to pretty much walk on for a year and go there without getting recruited. Not trying to be a "know it all" but I did take a course on NCAA rules. In any case, she's a good get for USD's program. I'm sure she'll make practices competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I think it all depends on whether or not the university the player is leaving grants a release. Sometimes they don't.
                            Agreed. Emily Rooney left SDSU vball program and played her last season at Washington State without sitting out because SDSU gave her a release. They did not give one for Annie Adams, therefore she sat out.
                            Last edited by 1bunnies; 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Read page 20. If you are an elgible athlete, and play in any other sport other than baseball, football, or hockey, you may use the one time exemption when transferring as long as a few things are met.

1.) The school you leave grants the transfer and waives the NCAA stipulation.

2.) Conference rules don't prohibit transfers from one conference to another. Most conferences waive the right as long as the transferree comes from another league.

3.) The student athlete has met NCAA credentials in terms of progressing towards a degree in a timely fashion.

I can go on with the waivers and stipulations. The only reason I am aware of this is my daughter transferred from a Big 12 school to a Big 10 school and was elgible to play immediately.

The NCAA is a unique entity and what works for some doesn't for others, etc.
                              She will have to sit out this year. If you read page 20 of the guide you referenced more closely you will see that it reads this for the one-time transfer exception:

To use this exception, you must:

1. Be playing a sport other than baseball in

Division I, basketball in Division I, men's
                              ice hockey in Division I or football in
                              Division I.

So she cannot use the one-time transfer exception because she is a basketball player. It is the same scenario as Jill Young was in. Her playing status has nothing to do with her being released or not released. If she's released she can get a scholarship this year while NOT playing. If she IS NOT released then she CANNOT get a scholarship while NOT playing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                She will have to sit out this year. If you read page 20 of the guide you referenced more closely you will see that it reads this for the one-time transfer exception:

So she cannot use the one-time transfer exception because she is a basketball player. It is the same scenario as Jill Young was in. Her playing status has nothing to do with her being released or not released. If she's released she can get a scholarship this year while NOT playing. If she IS NOT released then she CANNOT get a scholarship while NOT playing this year.
                                [/LEFT]

We have a winner, better luck next time YFE

Comment

Working...
                                X