USD (Coyotes) Go D-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD (Coyotes) Go D-I

You're probably right in that we'll probably end up playing them... there's just too much interest. And where there's interest, there is usually money to be made.

But I don't think we ought to "roll out the red carpet" for them. Not after they refused to support us in our move to D-1. I think we have done a pretty decent job, all kidding aside, of supporting our "little brother", especially when they got screwed out of a playoff spot last year. But have they offered anything positive in terms of our move? Not bloodly likely.

So the Yotes can sweat a little... you wanna play us in the revenue sports, fine. Sign a 2-and-1 deal and we'll play. Then we can talk home-and-home. I don't want us to make things easier for USD in their transition, they sure as heck didn't help us in ours.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      I realize I'm probably as guilty of it as any other board member, but could we maybe tone down the SDSU vs. USD rhetoric on non-smack threads?

It's going to be a while before any Jackrabbit and Coyote teams meet--at least in the revenue sports (we swam against one another earlier this year). But it's going to happen.

There's too much interest within the state (which translates to money to be made) in playing one another for either school to easily walk away from, even given the ill will and bad experiences and perceptions of either side.
      USD walked away from that money a couple of years ago. I think we can do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
        We will let you have the "first D1 University" distinction and we will just take the "better D1 University" distinction. It will take some time but USD will catch and pass up SDSU eventually.

Hahahaha!! Rolling On Floor!!! Laughing Hysterically!!! That has to be the funniest thing I have heard all day!!!

That and the Fact that Abbott and the rest of the crew believe that the Dakota Dump is actually a D1 level facility!!!

[smiley=lolk.gif]

Comment

Money talks! That theme is probably as prevalent on this board as any other. I think that we all know that certain facts are true.

1) We can sell more tickets to an SDSU vs USD football or basketball game than almost any other opponent. Maybe I should have left the "almost" out of the previous sentence. It should also be one of the easiest games for which to sell TV commercials.

2) It costs a lot less to drive a bus to Vermillion than to fly a whole team to New Jersey or Georgia.

3) A lot of people in South Dakota want to see these games played. Do you remember when the people of Iowa wanted the Iowa vs. Iowa State football game played? If I remember right the Iowa legislature finally mandated that the game be played.

I'm pretty sure that we will see this rivalry renewed before the USD transition period ends in 2012. I think that we have to accept the fact that the coaches and athletic department administrators will schedule the game when the time is right. Will it be a one year contract for USD at SDSU in football in 2007 if we end up with the same open date on the calendar? It might. But, it might not be until the 2009-10 season. I doubt that it will be much longer than that.

Comment

Amen to West River Jack. Frankly some of the rhetoric around here (on both sides) would be better suited to Shi'as v. Sunnis. If both USD and SDSU have a common open date, I'd like to see a game in Brookings next year. 2008 in Brookings (to balance the screwy scheduling if we stay in the Great west) and 2009 in Vermillion. Unlike Montana, I'd hope we'd live up to the contract.

Comment

I have a few comments regarding this scenario:

1. Do they REALLY have the money to do this? We're not exactly having an easy time with the fundraising that's necessary. They have far fewer alums...although the average salary may be higher with the doctors and lawyers.

2. Do they have the fan support? When RabbitLivinginVerm was living in Vermillion as his name suggests, he stated their attendance was very poor unless they were playing a rivalry game. I assume it has gone up with recent success in terms of football, but I presume this will be a struggle.

3. How does this affect SDSU? I know the BOR stated they would not support the move with state money or with student fees, but what about the future? Does this stunt our growth somewhat for future advances? I think we had a shot at getting State monies in years to come if we were the only D1 program in the state. However, this is going to be like you parents who have multiple children. Every time one University gets some help or support, the State will be expected to "keep it fair" with the other University. In contrast, I have only one child at present time and she gets spoiled rotten because she's an only child. Not sure if I'm making sense here, but it seems there's a possibility this move will negatively affect SDSU in the long term. IMO, the BOR should tell USD that South Dakota (pop under 1 million) is not big enough to support 2 Division 1 schools financially or otherwise.

4. SDSU needs to step up their marketing dramatically. I believe the potential TV deal is huge and I'm glad it's on the table now as opposed to 4 years from now. 4 years from now, we may be competing for this type of deal. The market in SF needs to be won by SDSU or deals like this may not last forever. We need to win over the casual fans now before USD gets a shot at them. The SF market has historically been USDs for the taking.

Just my .02...pretty longwinded, but there are quite a few questions up in the air right now.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                I realize I'm probably as guilty of it as any other board member, but could we maybe tone down the SDSU vs. USD rhetoric on non-smack threads?

It's going to be a while before any Jackrabbit and Coyote teams meet--at least in the revenue sports (we swam against one another earlier this year).  But it's going to happen.  

There's too much interest within the state (which translates to money to be made) in playing one another for either school to easily walk away from, even given the ill will and bad experiences and perceptions of either side.
                Amen!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                  I don't think USD has hardly followed SDSU at everything.  Since USD was established first than in all actuality SDSU has followed USD's lead from that point forward.  USD - The Dakota's first University.  I would rather be the first University than the first D1 University.  We will let you have the "first D1 University" distinction and we will just take the "better D1 University" distinction.  It will take some time but USD will catch and pass up SDSU eventually.    
                  You have to be a good student of South Dakota and Dakota Territory history to see the farce in this comment. Yes in 1862, Vermillion was designated a university. No building no classes were in existence until 1881 so for 19 years USD was in existence only on paper. The strength of the Dakota Legislature in this period of time changed from Yankton to Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls wanted the Penn thinking it was more jobs. The 1862 designation was for the purpose of the Morrill Act that was passed by congress in 1862. I think if you check the records, classes started at Vermillion in the 1880's as well. So the 1862 designation is very meaningless.

Comment

I understand that playing USD will bring revenue to SDSU, and I agree that we should revive the rivalry with USD. Our NDSU rivalry is solid, but with UND moving up, our rivalry with NDSU could suffer, actually it most likely will. We should play USD, not next year, but possibly the following years. My point is that all the competitions should be in Brookings. I tend to think that many fans would agree. At least refuse to play them in Vermillion for a couple of years after their transition year. I have a feeling the USD fans don't know what they are getting into for the next couple of years.

Comment

Sorry to say this but we WILL NOT play USD until they are a COUNTER team meaning it will be at least 4 years if not more.

Comment

How does USD moving up affect recruiting? If kids see both schools as D-1, we lose a lot in terms of a selling point. If we play them now and beat the living snot out of them, we can point out what a sham their recent suceess is. If we lose...OUCH. Maybe I'm thinking winning and losing have too much of an affect on a potential recruits decision. What do you guys think?
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1164836580

Here is the other thread (with a poll) discussing future SDSU/USD matchups. In the context of this thread subject, I think that a SDSU/USD is more vital to USD than it is for us. They need to get a rivalry going since Augie is staying D-2 and UND will be more focused on reviving their rivalry with NDSU. Without a possibility of the playoffs, the rivalry will be crucial to generate excitement for the first couple years of the transition.

As noticed by how this thread has turned to discussing future SDSU/USD games, the revival of the rivalry will be a major subplot to follow as USD makes its transition to D-1, IMHO. It is likely that politics will likely come into play here as the BoR and the state Legislature will hear from some very vocal proponents of a revived 'Rabbit/'Yote rivalry. Dr. Chicoine may also weigh in on this matter once he arrives on campus.....

Comment

It won't be a problem for a while. The kids they sign for the next 2 or 3 years will never see a chance at a championship. The kids that we sign this year will be eligible for one during their second year.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells
                              How does USD moving up affect recruiting? If kids see both schools as D-1, we lose a lot in terms of a selling point. If we play them now and beat the living snot out of them, we can point out what a sham their recent suceess is. If we lose...OUCH. Maybe I'm thinking winning and losing have too much of an affect on a potential recruits decision. What do you guys think?
                              We have a conference and access to a NCAA tourney auto-bid for most sports. USD can't offer any guarantees except that it will play in the DakotaDumpTM for the forseeable future. Unless a kid has his or her heart set on playing for USD or can't get the right major at SDSU, SDSU should have the edge in recruiting at least until USD finishes its transition and is able to find a conference home.

Comment

I heard UNO is anxious to play a D-1 team close to them maybe this USD thing will work out for USD after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X