Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD (Coyotes) Go D-I

Originally posted by jackmd
    Rumor down southeast is that Abbott will soon be announcing some "large" donations to the athletic dept. Those spreading the rumor have no details so I have no idea if they mean corporate sponsorships, buildings, estates, endowments or cash. I guess we will see. A whole pile of money would sure make it easier for coyote athletics.
    To start off going D-I SDSU had 5 million in donations, and I don't think we have exactly been dominating other schools budgets so far. Unless USD has around 40-50 million, its not going to make a difference, especially with the facility upgrades that school needs. I doubt that USD is going to be able to get more donations than NDSU, UND or SDSU has, and their budget is smaller than all of ours, plus their facilities lag far behind all of ours.

I just listened to Abbot talk about how the Dakota Dome was one of the nicest facilities in the nation. It wasn't a joke. He actually meant that. I guess you can tell how much research has gone into this move, and how much arrogance has.

Comment

I have been listening to these guys since around 2:20 and these guys are so full of B.S. I have wanted to call in the entire time just to go on a rant but then i did not want SDSU to look bad. These guys make it sound like they are strictly for USD and make it seem like everyone in the region is a Augie or Coyote Fan. SDSU has great rivalries already and are WAY ahead of where USD will be in their transtion. I am so proud of our school and love our athletics and am extremely excited about the tele deal. A rivalry would be fun to watch again( sold out games) but I'd rather not have anything to do with USD cuz they make me sick haha

Comment

I just listened to Abbot talk about how the Dakota Dome was one of the nicest facilities in the nation. It wasn't a joke. He actually meant that. I guess you can tell how much research has gone into this move, and how much arrogance has.
        I think once SDSU does some more upgrades at CAS, we will be the only school in the immediate DI-AA region with a out door stadium. That has the potential for a great recruiting tool.

Comment

“The University of South Dakota, the state’s flagship institution founded in 1862, values its role as the state’s comprehensive liberal arts institution. We want to compete with institutions that share our commitment to academics and have a similar mission,” Abbott said.

Here we go with this flagship crap again!

Statebasketballfan, you have it 100% BINGO correct! Arrogance is making half this decision! Just imagine how big their ego will be at D-1! Abbott is going to look like a bobblehead doll by the time his head quits growings!

Darn it, that is smack!

Sorry!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I saw on another thread that they announced earlier so it could be brought up at the BOR.

Is there any chance that the Board of Regeants will B-Slap them back down to d2?

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
              I saw on another thread that they announced earlier so it could be brought up at the BOR.

Is there any chance that the Board of Regeants will B-Slap them back down to d2?
              My understanding is there is very little chance of that. They will no doubt impose the same rules that were placed on SDSU as far as no cost to the state or the students to move up.

It would be kind of funny though, wouldn't it?

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Doesn't a flagship lead the way? Looks like we have a follower on our hands....

The phrase flagship campus or flagship university is often used with reference to state university systems in the United States, which often comprise numerous campuses in widely-separated locations. In this context, flagship means the original campus from which the system grew. Fulfilling the naval analogy, it is often (though not always[1]) the site of the administrative headquarters for the system.

A flagship campus is often a [b]land-grant [/b]school dating from the wave of state university foundings that followed the Morrill Act of 1863.

According to a Robert M. Berdahl, former Berkeley chancellor, the phrase "flagship" came into existence in the 1950s when the Morrill Act schools were joined by a newer campuses built in a wave of postwar expansion of state university system.[2].

Because of their age, the flagship campuses of a system are often the largest and best financed and are perceived as elite.

Source: Wikipedia Encyclopedia

Comment

USD folks cling on to the word "flagship" like a life raft in a big, nasty cold blue ocean. They use it because "liberal arts" doesn't have the same cachet as "land-grant."

They're SD's liberal arts university. We're SD's land-grant university. It's not just a good idea, it's the law.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                    Listening to Jim Abbott on KWSN and he mentioned something about trying to raise $60 million and hitting nearly $125 million.  

Did anyone else hear that and be able to clarify that?

If the dollars are there then why not go and their chances of success go up!  If the dollars aren't there than it will be a mighty struggle!

Best of luck to the 'Yotes!  They'll need it!

SUPERBUNNY
                    I'm guessing a ton of this $$ is in estates that have been willed to USD. Remember USD had to ask to legislature for $$ to finish the Med school a year or so ago. The med school was to be finished in August 06 and it's still not done. As I understand it, there's good reason for it not being completed yet. I don't believe SDSU adds in estates to their total $$ raised.

Comment

Let's look at the recent list of instances where SDSU led the way with USD following:

1) Scholarship guarantees for incoming freshmen
                      2) Media center upgrades.....ok, USD one-upped us here because of their sugar daddy Al
                      3) Student union expansion/renovation....well USD decided to just start over.......
                      4) Wellness center facility
                      5) Move to Division I athletics

I'm sure I'm forgetting some items that should be on this list, but I have to add that despite the fact that USD is the state's liberal arts school, SDSU produces more graduates in that area and has a marching band that puts USD's band (and music program) to shame.

Go Jacks and "SCREW THE U!"

Comment

Here's a link to the Volante, USD's school paper: http://www.volanteonline.com/

USD's long wait for post-season eligibility is reason enough the Mid-Con should not be talking to them. We can talk about other issues four years from now.

Comment

I don't think USD has hardly followed SDSU at everything. Since USD was established first than in all actuality SDSU has followed USD's lead from that point forward. USD - The Dakota's first University. I would rather be the first University than the first D1 University. We will let you have the "first D1 University" distinction and we will just take the "better D1 University" distinction. It will take some time but USD will catch and pass up SDSU eventually.
                          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Pup fan, you may have been the first university, but we've been the trend-setter. Don't you wish it was the 1930's when USD was the "bees knees" and we were just a lil' ol "Cow College"?

It's one thing to TALK about being a leader... It's another to go out and actually DO it. And I think we've done a pretty good job of that.
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Well Coyote_Fan, lets take a look at the enrollment figures for our institutions. At SDSU we currently have 11,377 students and USD is at 8,700 students. It is obvious to me that we are currently the "better institution." We have nearly 3,000, more students than you, this is not a fluke. Also, I believe our enrollment numbers are predicted to gain in disparity in the next couple of years. That is yet to be seen. Aren't flagship universities suppose to have the most students. Correct me if I am wrong but 40 % of the states public collegiate enrollment is at SDSU, compared with USD's 27%. I love the arrogance of USD fans, all this time they have ragged on us for our decision to step up to the plate and advance South Dakota. We as Jackrabbits have overcome and face an excellent future. I think it is a little early for Coyote fans to predict their future. I honestly am glad you moved up because it only reafirms the excellent decision we made. Leaders take initiative and take opportunities in order to advance themselves, SDSU obviously is not following USD. Why couldn't you step up to the plate when we did, instead of criticizing us so viciously. USD deserves no help from us in their transition, and I hope a Jackrabbit team doesn't set foot in Vermillion until atleast 2020.

Comment

I realize I'm probably as guilty of it as any other board member, but could we maybe tone down the SDSU vs. USD rhetoric on non-smack threads?

It's going to be a while before any Jackrabbit and Coyote teams meet--at least in the revenue sports (we swam against one another earlier this year). But it's going to happen.

There's too much interest within the state (which translates to money to be made) in playing one another for either school to easily walk away from, even given the ill will and bad experiences and perceptions of either side.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X