Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yori out at Nebraska, under investigation

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    An aphorism says, "A rising tide lifts all boats." In the harbor that is the Summit League, the tide fell today. One frequent poster on the forum of fans of the university to the south assumes that we will all break out the champagne bottles in celebration of Amy Williams leaving the helm of their women's basketball program. While that is an easy response on our part, it would be shortsighted. The Jackrabbit ship still floats high and proud, but to be the best that we can be requires good stiff competition in a competitive conference. I think that almost all would agree that the leadership for improving women's basketball in the Summit League is found in our State. There are flashes of improvement from time to time from the other teams, but no others in the league seem ready to climb into those top two positions.

It is in our best long-term interest that the coyote's name a coach who can and will continue the recent tradition of strong competition in their program. Yes, it might seem enjoyable for us to watch them struggle for a few years. I will admit that I could enjoy seeing a bit of that. But, it will be far more rewarding to see our Jackrabbits triumph over them in league play and in the finals of the Summit League tournament if they continue to truly believe that they truly belong at the top of the heap.
    Great post. With that said,I hope the yotes hire an excellent coach and finish last place in the SL every year. Someone has to....

Comment

An aphorism says, "A rising tide lifts all boats." In the harbor that is the Summit League, the tide fell today. One frequent poster on the forum of fans of the university to the south assumes that we will all break out the champagne bottles in celebration of Amy Williams leaving the helm of their women's basketball program. While that is an easy response on our part, it would be shortsighted. The Jackrabbit ship still floats high and proud, but to be the best that we can be requires good stiff competition in a competitive conference. I think that almost all would agree that the leadership for improving women's basketball in the Summit League is found in our State. There are flashes of improvement from time to time from the other teams, but no others in the league seem ready to climb into those top two positions.

It is in our best long-term interest that the coyote's name a coach who can and will continue the recent tradition of strong competition in their program. Yes, it might seem enjoyable for us to watch them struggle for a few years. I will admit that I could enjoy seeing a bit of that. But, it will be far more rewarding to see our Jackrabbits triumph over them in league play and in the finals of the Summit League tournament if they continue to truly believe that they truly belong at the top of the heap.
      I absolutely agree. There really is little upside to being a big fish in a little pond. There more successful the other teams in the Summit League are, the better the odds that at large bids start to come our way. I think this year USD made a great case that they deserved an at large bid. We also helped by beating Miami and giving Stanford everything they could handle. Those things should go a long way next year if both squads (and perhaps IUPUI) have the kind of record that opens them up to being considered for an at large.

USD has momentum, so a least a new coach should hit the ground running. I wonder if this coaching change will cause a few of their new recruits to consider other options.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        USD has momentum, so a least a new coach should hit the ground running. I wonder if this coaching change will cause a few of their new recruits to consider other options.
        I have to wonder what effect this has on the Myah Selland sweepstakes?

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
          Probably be an effect... is my guess. Players may commit to universities, but they build relationships with coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Great post. With that said,I hope the yotes hire an excellent coach and finish last place in the SL every year. Someone has to....
            I'm just fine with them winning the WNIT every year from here to eternity.

Comment

100% accurate. We need USD, and others to begin building quality, stable programs. I still have high hopes for NDSU, UNO and ORU. Keep IUPUI and USD playing solid Women's BB and we gave a very good mid-major conference. I also liked Williams. Good coach, grew up in SD, quality person, very good program and very good recruiter. It would have been nice to keep her in the Summit. Good luck to her. Maybe we can finally get back on Nebraska's schedule

Comment

Nebraska has Amy Williams up on their WBB site. Introduction tomorrow morning. We are happy for her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  I'm just fine with them winning the WNIT every year from here to eternity.
                  I'm right there with you. It seems like their fan base will be fine with that as well.

Comment

I talked to a guy at work today who knows the family. And Myah was really high on Amy Williams. I asked him if he thought she could end up at Nebraska then. He said she wants to stay close to home. Her sister is at Augie but i would think SDSU would have a good chance now.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      I talked to a guy at work today who knows the family. And Myah was really high on Amy Williams. I asked him if he thought she could end up at Nebraska then. He said she wants to stay close to home. Her sister is at Augie but i would think SDSU would have a good chance now.
                      I wouldn't be so sure that Nebraska is far from home. If she has the type of relationship that people speak of with Amy Williams, I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a Husker. Hopefully, she wants to stay in state. I really would like to have Myah Selland become a Jackrabbit like anyone else, but I don't think it is a done deal now that Amy is at Nebraska.
                      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Just read that Yori gets a nice little $1.2 million severance package.

Comment

So who is going to be the new "Kim Mulkey" of the Summit League now?...
                          Isn't the important question: What's the Big 12 going to do with two Mulkeys?" [ADDED LATER: UWMandSDSU politely points out a couple of posts below that I apparently had a brain freeze and forgot UNL is in the BIG. Pay no attention to me!]

Aw, heck. That's not nice. I thought Williams was a great coach and was not even close to being a Mulkey. I wish her well at Nebraska.
                          Last edited by JackJD; 04-11-2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Isn't the important question: What's the Big 12 going to do with two Mulkeys?"

Aw, heck. That's not nice. I thought Williams was a great coach and was not even close to being a Mulkey. I wish her well at Nebraska.
                            Good thing Nebraska is in the Big Ten.

Comment

Geez,...apparently I'm in a time warp. My wife is having a good laugh over my screw up. Well, it might have been funny if Nebraska had not moved to the BIG.

I'll go away now.

Comment

Congrats to Williams for landing I would assume her dream position. I was not shy about giving her a hard time on here about her "mulkeyness" (mostlt tongue in cheek), but she's obviously a great coach. As others have mentioned we need a competitive USD to raise the profile ofthe summit. I hope they reload, rather than rebuild.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X