Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Bradley Head Coach Job

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
    There's an amazing song from the '80's where Frankie says RELAX.

1. Nagy interviewed. He wasn't offered (that we know of). He's interviewed before and always come back to SDSU. Could this time be different, sure. Keep in mind that AD's are going to look at a coach's recruiting area and success in those areas. Bradley's roster if full of kids from Illinois and a couple from Michigan. Guessing to be successful that may have to change - more Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, maybe a little south. Not a ton of talent in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa to pull from, which has been Nagy's natural recruiting territory for the past 25 years (plus South Dakota obviously). Nagy has done well at SDSU since the transition, but will what he's done and his style of play translate into success in the MVC....that's for the AD to decide. Looks like by the notes in that article others are higher on the list than Nagy.

B. Why do people always turn to Austin Hansen as the heir apparent??? He was a great player, trust me, saw it first hand for a few years. He was a good assistant coach by all measures. However, he left for a reason. Got to assume it wasn't boredom. Something sent him packing. AD Sell has no loyalty to him, so can't say just because he was an SDSU guy that Sell would bring him back just because. I would hope like heck our AD opens the search up and finds the right coach, not just someone with SDSU ties. If we're going that route why not Matt Margenthaler?? He was an SDSU guy for years. Arguably the recruiting success came from his efforts. He's done well at Mankato. Knows the upper Midwest. Just saying.

Regardless, I hope Nagy stays. Respect the heck out of him as a man and a coach. SDSU won't win a National Championship, but to have a guy that recruits good kids, has them graduate and become productive members of society....that's the coach I want. Oh, and he wins some games too.

Sorry for the long post. First one in a long time, but holy cats had to get that off my chest.
    I cant argue anything you have said here but if and when we have to replace Nagy, we will need to find some one who fits our budget which is not even close to the 900k that Bradley is to offer to its chosen candidate. With President Chicone making about 400k, no coach is even going to come close or topping his salary. I strongly agree Austin Hansen does not have a lock on the job. CatchwEmAll having been on search committees knows how this works. The ones who do not fit are quickly eliminated and they find that out in the interviewing process. We can only hope Nagy fell flat today, but that selfish thinking.

In defense of Austin Hansen, I tend to believe he had some working relationship with BJ Hill the head coach at UNC since BJ got his masters at SDSU in 2001. I suspect BJ was looking for a good staff member and he most likely made him an offer that top what he was getting at SDSU. The rest is history and it gives him good exposure to see how other programs work such as UNC and USD.

Comment

Since Austin is getting so much love, any thoughts on current Assistants. Coach Klink has been here 9 years, and Coach Cooley 8 years, and is the recruiting coordinator. I'm not saying they're in the mix, just wondering what others think.

Comment

Multiple reports Brian Wardle is the new Bradley head coach.

Also, Austin just wasn't a good fit with the current coaching staff. Sometimes people just don't work well together. It also doesn't mean he's a bad coach or a bad person. He'll likely be a head coach someday. Who knows if it will be at SDSU.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Multiple reports Brian Wardle is the new Bradley head coach.

Also, Austin just wasn't a good fit with the current coaching staff. Sometimes people just don't work well together. It also doesn't mean he's a bad coach or a bad person. He'll likely be a head coach someday. Who knows if it will be at SDSU.
          Yeah,i think Wardle will get it too. Of course that opens up the Green Bay job.........

As far as Austin,he moved on and so has SDSU. Good for everybody.

Comment

Read several tweets saying they have confirmed Wardle to Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
              Since Austin is getting so much love, any thoughts on current Assistants. Coach Klink has been here 9 years, and Coach Cooley 8 years, and is the recruiting coordinator. I'm not saying they're in the mix, just wondering what others think.
              I think Klink would certainly get a look.

Comment

http://on.si.com/1xHxV4G

Wardle is the guy.

Comment

So we can now fire up the Nagy-to-Green-Bay panic.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Lol at Filbert.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      Might as well change the name of the thread
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Part of me thinks Nagy will retire a Rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          I think we will be okay. This is good news.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Part of me thinks Nagy will retire a Rabbit.
                            I think you are correct. The other part is telling you what? He might go to Green Bay? I never have pegged Nagy as a Packer fan.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                              I am just stating facts as I know them. Was there some sort of conflict amongst the staff when Austin was at SDSU? I don't know, you tell me. I have no insider information, maybe you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                I am just stating facts as I know them. Was there some sort of conflict amongst the staff when Austin was at SDSU? I don't know, you tell me. I have no insider information, maybe you do.
                                Austin was getting anxious for a move. The year before he went to UNC, he had a positive interview as a head coach at a Minnesota college. He is a young coach who wants to advance his coaching career. I would guess any conflict would have been day to day situations that happen on any job anywhere. I would not expect Austin to settle at Vermillion as an assistant coach for the next 10 years.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X