Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Big Dance be coming to Sioux Falls????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Big Dance be coming to Sioux Falls????

Dana Dykhouse said in an interview on today's the Argus Leader's 100 Eyes show that the Sioux Falls Sports Authority is putting in a bid to host a first round NCAA tournament. I am not sure of the year but the bid apparently went in today. The rules have changed and the Denny Sanford Events center meets the requirements for submitting a bid. He was optimistic about our chances. How great would that be to have 8 teams come to Sioux Falls??

Re: Will the Big Dance be coming to Sioux Falls????

MEN OR WOMEN DANCE???
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      MEN OR WOMEN DANCE???
      Put bid in for Men's for '17 &'18 years.

Comment

That's correct, it is for the men. There was no indication of other bids submitted, but men's may be the only one receiving bids at this particular time. Many of the bids for other sports were submitted last year and Sioux Falls was selected for several in different sports at the DII level. I think the details are posted here earlier.

Comment

The biggest hurdle for Sioux Falls chances of hosting the men's tournament is the current shortage of quality motels. I believe the NCAA requires a separate and comparable facility for each team.
          USD Fan

Comment

Here's the article that came out today about it, it mentions the requirements including the hotel issue. http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ames/13734105/

Comment

I don't see this as a reality but maybe I'm missing something. The building is sufficient but the additional infrastructure and resources necessary do not appear to be.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I don't see this as a reality but maybe I'm missing something. The building is sufficient but the additional infrastructure and resources necessary do not appear to be.
                I would guess the NCAA provides documented reasons why cities don't receive a bid. These reasons will be used as ammo by the usual suspects to try to build whatever the NCAA said Sioux Falls needs.

"We need more/better hotels"
                "We need to fix/expand roads"
                "We need better air service"
                "We need less snow"
                "Etc, Etc, Etc"

Not saying its good or bad, but IMO bidding at this point is political. The opinion of a well recognized outside organization does more for some voters than local politicians/leaders talking until they are blue in the face.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  I would guess the NCAA provides documented reasons why cities don't receive a bid. These reasons will be used as ammo by the usual suspects to try to build whatever the NCAA said Sioux Falls needs.

"We need more/better hotels"
                  "We need to fix/expand roads"
                  "We need better air service"
                  "We need less snow"
                  "Etc, Etc, Etc"

Not saying its good or bad, but IMO bidding at this point is political. The opinion of a well recognized outside organization does more for some voters than local politicians/leaders talking until they are blue in the face.
                  I don't disagree at all. The SF sports authority stating that they are placing a bid is exactly that and nothing more. I feel confident I am right when I say this isn't going to happen. May be fun to talk about but it isn't reality.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't bid on the Women's 1st and 2nd rounds. The NCAA seems to pick sites that are likely to have a local team in the field , and with South Dakota teams making the field for the last 6 years , I think a Sioux Falls bid would have a good chance of succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      I'm surprised they didn't bid on the Women's 1st and 2nd rounds. The NCAA seems to pick sites that are likely to have a local team in the field , and with South Dakota teams making the field for the last 6 years , I think a Sioux Falls bid would have a good chance of succeeding.
                      They have, were not awarded in the last go-around. They will probably continue to bid for a women's round during the next application period.

Comment

Sioux Falls is a top contender to host First Four in 2017 & 18.

"Look out for Sioux Falls, South Dakota," Katz said. "Last year they hosted a game between Wisconsin and St. John's. This year they will host a game between Memphis and Wichita State, so Sioux Falls trying to get into the NCAA Tournament picture of trying to host the First Four and wrestle it away from Dayton."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...nal-four-sites

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...four/14618531/

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Sioux Falls is a top contender to host First Four in 2017 & 18.

"Look out for Sioux Falls, South Dakota," Katz said. "Last year they hosted a game between Wisconsin and St. John's. This year they will host a game between Memphis and Wichita State, so Sioux Falls trying to get into the NCAA Tournament picture of trying to host the First Four and wrestle it away from Dayton."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...nal-four-sites

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...four/14618531/
                          Saw this on TV's twitter. I didn't even consider that they would be bidding for the "first four". I think its fantastic. Hope SFSD gets a chance to host.

Comment

I wonder if Andy Katz realizes that the Wisconsin vs St Johns and the Memphis vs Wichita State game was played/is being played at the Sanford Pentagon and not the Denny Sanford Premier Center. Big difference when it comes to capacity of the two arenas. Really hoping this works out. None of this would have been possible if not for the success of the Summit League Tournament. The First Four sites should be moved every year just like the Final Four sites. There isn't any great about Dayton that would make this impossible and make them the permanent host for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                              I wonder if Andy Katz realizes that the Wisconsin vs St Johns and the Memphis vs Wichita State game was played/is being played at the Sanford Pentagon and not the Denny Sanford Premier Center. Big difference when it comes to capacity of the two arenas. Really hoping this works out. None of this would have been possible if not for the success of the Summit League Tournament. The First Four sites should be moved every year just like the Final Four sites. There isn't any great about Dayton that would make this impossible and make them the permanent host for years to come.
                              If we do get the bid,we could then call the winner of the first four the "Sioux Falls representative" to the NCAA Tournament.

I know I'd root for them,and I know they'd have the blessing of the SFSA,if they went far and Sioux Falls got lots of mentions on Nat'l TV.
                              There would be lots of local excitement for the teams that participate.I think that would show up good on TV,you can't fake enthusiasm. We can only hope.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-26-2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X