Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    I still don't understand why we have zero issue with everyone else getting paid but the athletes. No one cares that ESPN makes tons of money. No one cares that CBS makes a ton of money. No one cares that coaches and universities make money. But the thought of a player buying food, or a PS3, or *gasp* a tattoo!? **** the players.
    This article gave me a good chuckle. Remember, it's about the students though. http://deadspin.com/alabama-athletic...ams-1560555985
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      If you want to continue thinking that these coaches are clean, especially Coach Cal, you go right on thinking that. The only ones that get caught are the ones that get sloppy.

I suppose you don't think there are any bag men that work for $EC football either?
      NCAA would love to bust Cal but it isn't happening. Throwing out statements with no factual basis is funny when you were blasting USD fans for throwing out rumors with no factual basis at the time.

As far as your last statement, I am going to go ahead and say you read the latest SI article on that.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        NCAA would love to bust Cal but it isn't happening. Throwing out statements with no factual basis is funny when you were blasting USD fans for throwing out rumors with no factual basis at the time.

As far as your last statement, I am going to go ahead and say you read the latest SI article on that.
        Rose failed the SAT 3 times in Chicago, yet "his" passing test was taken in Detroit. You're right, that probably didn't warrant investigating by Cal and the administration at the time. All they cared was that this kid could now enroll in school and play ball for them.

Yes, the latest SB Nation article was a good read, but bag men in the $EC have been known to exist well before that article was written. That article gives the exact recipe for how coaches maintain "plausible deniability".

Comment

Maybe its just me but i am looking forward to fall camp so we can get excited for SDSU football and not have to come here and argue about if players should or shouldnt get paid and what we do or dont think of coach Cal. Its gonna be a long summer if this is all we have to talk about.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Maybe its just me but i am looking forward to fall camp so we can get excited for SDSU football and not have to come here and argue about if players should or shouldnt get paid and what we do or dont think of coach Cal. Its gonna be a long summer if this is all we have to talk about.
            We could freak out about former Jackrabbits going to be assistant coaches at schools that wear red, just for variety's sake.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              We could freak out about former Jackrabbits going to be assistant coaches at schools that wear red, just for variety's sake.
              Heck just throw it into the mix too and let's see what comes out of it.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Hell, might as well jump in real late and make some candid observations to keep this thread on track (or kill it). I feel SO sorry for what's his name who went to bed hungry (what a joke). He may not have time to work (like a heck of a lot of other students), but he can follow their track and take a loan out to buy a hamburger every night before he goes to bed. A lot of students will leave SDSU with large student loans to be repaid. The guy who is going to get million dollar contract, at last partly because he went to college and his play there earned him a good spot in the draft. If changes need to be made (OK the food one is already taken care of), one of the best would be having the NFL and the NBA take the big money ones right out of high school (heavens, that would be one year before the one and done group). And let's not forget that 98% (or whatever) of college athletes never make it to the professional ranks, and depend on their college degrees to get them employment. I think I said this earlier, but the real problem's are caused by the top 20 or so universities in the country who get the top 2 percent of college athletes, who help bring in the crowds that pay the bucks that make the universities lots of money. We sure don't see a lot of those millions floating around in FCS, or 80 percent of BCS schools. Nuff said...way past my bed time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Hell, might as well jump in real late and make some candid observations to keep this thread on track (or kill it). I feel SO sorry for what's his name who went to bed hungry (what a joke). He may not have time to work (like a heck of a lot of other students), but he can follow their track and take a loan out to buy a hamburger every night before he goes to bed. A lot of students will leave SDSU with large student loans to be repaid. The guy who is going to get million dollar contract, at last partly because he went to college and his play there earned him a good spot in the draft. If changes need to be made (OK the food one is already taken care of), one of the best would be having the NFL and the NBA take the big money ones right out of high school (heavens, that would be one year before the one and done group). And let's not forget that 98% (or whatever) of college athletes never make it to the professional ranks, and depend on their college degrees to get them employment. I think I said this earlier, but the real problem's are caused by the top 20 or so universities in the country who get the top 2 percent of college athletes, who help bring in the crowds that pay the bucks that make the universities lots of money. We sure don't see a lot of those millions floating around in FCS, or 80 percent of BCS schools. Nuff said...way past my bed time.
                  There is no question that higher education is becoming a costly investment. Its a shame that College Presidents of the top 20 universities are using student athletes to build their athletic budgets in order to gain more of the bowl revenue and the CBS Big dance revenues. These same people are the ones who make all these ridiculous NCAA rules for S/A to follow. I do feel much concern for those 98 per cent who do not make the NFL or the NBA. Some are very poorly prepared for doing academic work, simply because their athletic talent is uncovered at a young age, and every one along the way gives this person a free ride when it comes to academic discipline. This too, is a real disservice. I feel it wrong to use college as a stepping stone to professional sports. The sooner we can separate the two, the better it will be for all concern. This is my take, I agree with your comments whole hardly but maybe would be less critical of the S/A from U Of Conn, who might not have been speaking for himself and but possibly some of the others who make up the 98%. Its a given this guy will be in the NBA.

Comment

Jay Bilas is arguably the most outspoken proponent for pro-paying athletes and other reforms in the NCAA. He went to Duke Law School and still practices law. I trust he knows what he's talking about. Bomani Jones and Jay Bilas know what they are talking about

PS: if you want to know why the NCAA doesn't want to pay athletes, it's this philosophy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaj-7BroWNY

*its a scene from The Mack so it might be NSFW

Comment

This is a really tough situation. Its clear the greedy men and women running the NCAA are just that, greedy. I don't think their intention is to exploit athletic and talented young men and women but that is exactly what they do. It isn't the DI institutions that set the rules that exploit and manipulate these young people's lives, they are force (by the money) to follow the rules set by the NCAA and then made worse, without intention, by the U.S. legislature under the guise of equality known as title IX.

Add in the coercion between professional leagues and the NCAA to restrict access to professional contracts and you have the current model. 17-18 yo kids signing one year unguaranteed scholarship contracts that give them an opportunity to get an education they may or may not want or need. In the meantime the NCAA and yes its member institutions are making hundreds of millions and even billions of dollars using some of these individuals likeliness and image. While the students are not permitted to make a dime, have a meal or even by definition in some instances make connections for their future profession. EXPLOITATION.

What is the solution? There is the crux of the controversy right there. None of us want to see college sports end, I think I can safely say that. Not being able to spend a lot of time thinking about this I have heard a few ideas that seem reasonable. The only ideas that seem practical to me involve separating the "revenue generating" sports and student athletes from the "non-revenue" sports.

Right now, most major DI university athletic programs function separately from the university themselves. They handle licensing of their product, budgets for recruiting, travel, media, etc...without input from the university board, its the only way to handle the massive amounts of money involved. The idea I heard this morning is similar to other ideas and I think it could work. Allow the major conference programs at the highest level of what is now called the BCS in the FBS division to function as an independent franchise that employs athletes to compete under the name of the member institution and on or near their campus. Sounds crazy when first mentioned but it might be the only way to do it. Athletes would be paid a market tolerated amount and could choose to attend school on scholarship or not. Teams could have student athletes that attend college elsewhere, players that don't go to class and even players that have been cut from other professional teams. It seems really outside of the box and bizarre, I need more time to think about the consequences.

Under title IX their is no possible way the NCAA can survive a unionization of student athletes in the revenue sports. Nobody can afford to pay every student athlete in every sport at the NCAA level. I don't think the best athletes are going to continue to allow the NCAA to exploit them. Ultimately, the solution probably resides in a future where professional leagues further develop their minor leagues to allow high school athletes that want to be paid and that don't want to go to college to sign professional contracts. There are still plenty of really good to great athletes that are more than happy to accept a full ride scholarship and get a great education while playing a sport they love. Seems to me that is more likely to be the scenario than the one I describe prior.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

So I'm a little confused here. Is Shabazz Napier stating that he essentially can't make ends meet with only a full athletic scholarship? Is he taking any of the student loans or grants that may be offered through FAFSA?

Or is he arguing that he shouldn't have to take additional loans as a student-athlete?

Is this a money-management issue?

Comment

So I'm a little confused here. Is Shabazz Napier stating that he essentially can't make ends meet with only a full athletic scholarship? Is he taking any of the student loans or grants that may be offered through FAFSA?

Or is he arguing that he shouldn't have to take additional loans as a student-athlete?

Great questions. I'm not sure why he, as a guy who earned his school millions of dollars in revenue and recognition, isn't aware of all the options of loans he can take out so he can buy some food. I mean, Napier helped earn his coach earn about $166k in bonus salary, and one would think his coach would have talked about the loan options available to his players.

Sounds like an entitled brat of an athlete to me, who just wants a handout. Why doesn't he just take out a loan like every other student that earns the university so much money???

Keep asking these questions TK and we could get to the bottom of this and find a solution.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The point is that he shouldn't have to take out loans. As far as him going hungry, the old rules for NCAA were ridiculous. You could only eat so much and couldn't take food home to eat later even if you aren't hungry at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              Great questions. I'm not sure why he, as a guy who earned his school millions of dollars in revenue and recognition, isn't aware of all the options of loans he can take out so he can buy some food. I mean, Napier helped earn his coach earn about $166k in bonus salary, and one would think his coach would have talked about the loan options available to his players.

Sounds like an entitled brat of an athlete to me, who just wants a handout. Why doesn't he just take out a loan like every other student that earns the university so much money???

Keep asking these questions TK and we could get to the bottom of this and find a solution.
                              Ao only athletes from schools where they make millions and millions should get more money for being a student athlete? If it was so bad why did he go back for another year, he could have gone to NBA last year in a weak draft if he wanted the money.

I think your missing the point of what TK is saying. Is he only using his scholarship money or has he applied for loans or gotten grant money to help pay for things? Since he is going to play pro he could easily afford to pay back any loans he would have to take out.

I am glad a few schools with high profile athletes think that they are getting such a raw deal getting their education paid for if they want it that they need more money, or to get paid in college so they dont starve at night. HE didnt have to play college ball, he had other options, good thing he has your sympathy though.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                                The point is that he shouldn't have to take out loans. As far as him going hungry, the old rules for NCAA were ridiculous. You could only eat so much and couldn't take food home to eat later even if you aren't hungry at that time.
                                Why is the point he shouldnt have to take out a loan? Students who get academic scholarships if need extra money they take out loans so why not athletes? Again no one forces kids to play college sports, they could do other things until they try to go pro. Thats the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X